MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Learning!
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my 350z for a year it had got a little boring tbh, so I started looking to get into minis again. I didn’t want to go through the torture of modding another one from scratch, so I began the hunt for a well spec’d car.

I had to sell the zed to finance part of the purchase so I was in a bit of a catch 22, selling a 300bhp RWD two seater at the start of winter was a tall order. Luckily someone enquired on my FB ad, came straight round and took it off my hands all in an hour lol.

So, as some of you herberts already know, a couple of weeks ago I bought Joe Bern’s (Airborne) FJCW. It’s a 2011 car with 60k miles and Joe has modified it pretty much exactly as I would have - if I had the funds!

It is mapped by Manic (stage 1 if you like "stages") and it pulls like a train, the base car was an amazing 228bhp so it is tuned conservatively. I may go one higher in the future as it has the supporting mods, but really it doesn't need it - famous last words eh?

The spec is below, along with some pics and the all important graph, however, contrary to my intentions (yeah yeah, I know) I have already been fettling with it……….

As I’m such a short arse and have a shit back, I really struggled with the Recaro SPGs being too low, not to mention set about a foot out of my pedal reach haha - so I had to re-drill the mounting plates and move them forward. This was fine for reach, but I can’t sit with straight legs, so I was still having to sit on a cushion to ease the ol’ back.

A plan formed and I bought Sam Biollo’s Cobra Misano Anniversary seats, re-trimmed by the world famous Loz. It wasn’t an easy swap as I had to make some harness brackets due to the original eyelets sticking out too far, but I have got the driver’s one in and it’s super comfy - will post a pic of how they look when they’re both in

The Recaros will be for sale shortly, so if anyone’s interested give me a shout ;)

Apart from the above there really isn’t much more I’d want to do to it, apart from getting another centre tunnel trimmed as the one in there isn’t the neatest job.

The intention is to enjoy it and get on track as soon as finances permit

Ohhhh, nearly forgot, just bought some black door handles, a filler cap and mini badges loooool

ENGINE + GEARBOX
Airtec intercooler
Scorpion decat downpipe
Forge silicone air intake pipe
Pipercross air filter
GFB DV+ diverter valve
Manic Motorsport ECU remap
Quaife differential and bearings
Helix single mass clutch flywheel
Helix six paddle clutch kit

SUSPENSION + HANDLING
Ohlins road and track suspension
RTM adjustable suspension top mounts
KND rear trailing arms
Super pro rear anti roll bars and bushes
Hardrace rear control arms
Engine mount poly bushes
Caster wishbone poly bushes
JCW strut brace

WHEELS + BRAKES
Autec Wizard alloy wheels 7.5x17
Michelin cup 2 tyres
Braided brake lines all round
Nitrac cryogenic grooved front discs
Project Mu front HC800 brake pads
Project Mu rear NS400 brake pads
ATE Typ200 brake fluid

INTERIOR
Coolerworx carbon short shifter
Recaro SPG x 2 bucket seats
OMP seat floor mounts
Recaro seat bolts
Sabelt 4 point harnesses
Safety devices roll cage
OMP steering wheel
Momo steering wheel boss
Ultra gauge dash mounted

EXTERIOR
G Wing aero spoiler
Carbon bonnet scoop
Black line bi-xenon front lights
Black line rear lights
Black line grill kit
Black line light surrounds
Bee sting aerial
Side scuttles black

·
Learning!
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome back to the fold old chap. I'm tre jealous of the Ohlins.
Cheers bud, I have to say all your spouting makes total sense now lol - they are currently on the softest setting and the ride is absolutely amazing.
The car is sooooo compliant, no crashing, lumping through potholes, or sidestepping round bumpy corners
It's obviously not just the Ohlins it's the complete package, there is some knocking from the KND arms but that is only at low speed and they mingle with the savage exhaust bangs anyway ;)

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
Cheers bud, I have to say all your spouting makes total sense now lol - they are currently on the softest setting and the ride is absolutely amazing.
The car is sooooo compliant, no crashing, lumping through potholes, or sidestepping round bumpy corners
It's obviously not just the Ohlins it's the complete package, there is some knocking from the KND arms but that is only at low speed and they mingle with the savage exhaust bangs anyway ;)
I'm going for Ohlins on mine next year... The KND stuff looks epic, you will get a bit of noise with any solid mount.

·
Learning!
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to see you in a Mini again. Any further plans after the seats?
Cheers James, nothing really other than mentioned. Could consider an AEM but have always been a fan of the jcw air box and unrated filter.
Otherwise it’s down to stuff like dash trimming and cosmetics

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not a fan of that steering wheel.... Too small and hate flat bottom wheels....

Rest is great though ;)
I had to have a flat bottom wheel because of my lanky legs haha.

Looks great Ian I'm not even slightly sad....

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Learning!
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to have a flat bottom wheel because of my lanky legs haha.

Looks great Ian I'm not even slightly sad....

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Not sure you’re totally happy tho mate

Not a fan of that steering wheel.... Too small and hate flat bottom wheels....

Rest is great though ;)
And I need the flat bottom wheel to tuck my belly under

Don’t forget the speedo on an R56 is at least 2’ dia so it will make the wheel look small

Cheers mate, it is a blast

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Bar steering wheel and console (sorry) it's sounding and looking really good, you must be pleased to be out of Jap stuff and into that ;O)

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Cheers Sean, the zed was very capable cruiser but didn’t feel the love
you'll soon be passing them on track, praising yourself for a good decision made haha

Reactions: MinIan
1 - 20 of 47 Posts