MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, suspecting my fan speed 1 isn't kicking in as the car is getting quite hot on the temp guage then dropping fast (assuming this is fan 2 kicking in only)

Anyone know a quick and easy way of testing fan speed 1 is kicking in well, I don't have A/C on my car so can't just whack that on...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,136 Posts
Do you have an obd reader? If you do, watch the temperature and wait for the fan kicking in at 105c. If you don't have a reader you can access the coolant temp through the extended menu on the centre speedo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a reader no, but i'm looking to buy one. Guess this is an excuse to treat myself early!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
You can see the actual water temp from the hidden menu too. This is a copy paste from another forum:

A complete list of functions is below, this example is how to get into the menu number '7'.
  1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button, while holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1.
  2. The screen will say 'Test' and a number.
  3. Scroll through, (pressing reset button) through to test 19 and wait a moment.
  4. Wait and the message will say "log i-off" then "log i-on" and back to "log i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press again. You are now in the system. (Woooo)
  5. You can (if you wish) start the ignition any time from now.
  6. Scroll through to test 7.0 (or whichever from the list below) and wait a moment, after a pause you will enter the test 7.* range of information.
  7. You can scroll through now (7.1,7.2,7.3 etc.) using the reset button.
  8. You can exit each menu by pressing, holding for a few seconds, then releasing the reset button.
  9. To leave the system scroll to 19 and leave it for a few moments.
    Switching off the ignition also exits the system.
Test:

1.0 Chassis number
1.1 Kilometer count
1.2 Parts number
1.3 Coding-, Diagnostic- and Bus-index
1.4 Production Date (Calender week/year)
1.5 Hard- and Software status
1.6 Injectorstatus, Cylinder count, Engine factor.

2.0 Combisystem Test

3.0 Service intervall counter

4.0 Actual fuel consumption in l/100km. eg.0154 = 15,4 liters/100kms.
4.1 Consumption in liters/100kms.

5.0 Distance consumption in l/100kms.
5.1 Actual rest distance with available fuel in Kms.

6.0 Actual amount of fuel in tank. eg. 123321 =12,3liters left 32,1 liters right
6.1 Total amount of fuel in tank.
6.2 Show value of Fuel guage. 1= both senders OK, 2= sender failure, 3=ti signal unplausible (no reading)

7.0 Actual coolant temp.
7.1 Actual outside temp.
7.2 Actual engine revs.
7.3 Actual speed

8.0 Hexadecimal readings of menu 7.0 to 7.3

9.0 Actual on board voltage (Battery)

10.0 Land codes

11.0 Unit codes

12.0 No funktion

13.0 Gong test

14.0 - 14.4 On board diagnostic codes. eg 000000 = no failures

15.0 - 18.0 No funktion

19.0 On/Off for Test menu.

20.0 Correction factor for Fuel consumption
Formula for correction:
Shown consumption x 1000 / user defined consumption
Push the trip reset button to begin the correction. Numbers count up from 0-9, when correct number shows push trip reset button.

20.1 Sets 10ths. for consumption factor
20.2 Sets 100ths. and 1000ths. for consumption factor
20.3 Saves the new consumption factor and shows new value

21.0 Software reset. (Same as disconnecting battery)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JKo, mine's a pre-FL without A/C so more of a budget R53 in terms of specs, just deciding whether to check the PAS Pump fan and main fan or just replace due to age.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,136 Posts
Check the pump fan fuse, as if that's bust the first stage fan won't run. I did a handy dandy coloured circuit diagram of the fan resistor repair. Thats on here somewhere as well. Probably part of the thread that JKO is referring to

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
if you do hear a fan but it's fairly loud and only in short bursts it's likely only on speed 2 which comes on at 112c, the chances are if it's been like this for a while, might be that the PAS fan is now seized/stiff and no longer works which suggests how long it may have been like it, as the two normally come on together with speed one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts