MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first threat so I hope I am doing things the right way :w00t:
I have a r53 jcw and I notice that the operating temperatures are quite high when stuck in traffic. On long traffic queues it reaches 111 C and then the big fan kicks in and drops to 100... This happens also in cold weather. The temperature that the big fan kicks in is correct (112 i recall from a different threat) but my question is how easy is to reach 111C? is its an everyday thing or is it something that should happen in a hot summer day? Also I do not know if JCW runs on higher temps than a r53 S. Do you recommend on a remap to lower the temps that the fans kick in(i think it is doable)?

·
Administrator
6,057 Posts
Low speed fan and power steering fans are on the same circuit.

Lift up the bonnet, put the air con on and watch does the fan cycle on and off every few seconds, if yes low speed fan is good. Then it could be your thermostat or the header tank / cap not holding pressure

·
Mitch
291 Posts
Low speed fan and power steering fans are on the same circuit.
Really? I thought they had their own relays but both were triggered at 105C. When I was diagnosing my low speed fan, I sat the car idling and waited for it to hit 105C on the console digital gauge. A fan kicked in, but it definitely wasn't my rad fan. It sounded under the car so I got under and saw the PS fan spinning. Temp kept climbing to 112C before high speed kicked in. Now fixed with the resistor mod, I do the same thing and two fans kick in at 105C and temp drops to 99C.

EDIT: Different design on Facelift cars apparently. Rad fan and PS fan are split.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey anifort check my post i had the same problem but mine was a r50 one but same principle applies with the different pins as mentioned already.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f29...fan-not-working-staying-after-shut-off-36749/

Hello all,
This is my first threat so I hope I am doing things the right way :w00t:
I have a r53 jcw and I notice that the operating temperatures are quite high when stuck in traffic. On long traffic queues it reaches 111 C and then the big fan kicks in and drops to 100... This happens also in cold weather. The temperature that the big fan kicks in is correct (112 i recall from a different threat) but my question is how easy is to reach 111C? is its an everyday thing or is it something that should happen in a hot summer day? Also I do not know if JCW runs on higher temps than a r53 S. Do you recommend on a remap to lower the temps that the fans kick in(i think it is doable)?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for ur input! I actually need to check with the radiador fan only as the ac trigers fan correctly(starta and stops) is the radiator mod a DIY or is there a place i can have that done?

·
Registered
333 Posts
R53 Cooling System Primer:
Thermostat begins to open at 89-92° C (192° F - 198° F) and is fully open at 103° C (217° F).
Expansion Tank Cap Cap pressurizes the system to 1.1 bar (16 psi) at which point the cap valve will lift to relieve pressure.

Cooling Fan

Radiator Fan is a nine bladed fan measuring 400mm in diameter, driven by a 350 watt motor controlled by the EMS2000.

Low speed is switched on at 105°C (221° F) coolant temp and off when the temperature drops to 101°C (214° F).

High speed is switched on at 112° C (234° F) and remains on until the system coolant temperature drops by 4° C (7.2° F, so @ around 227F) at which point the system will revert to Low Speed.

The cooling fan will also operate on Low Speed when the Air Conditioning is switched on and system pressure reaches 8 bar (116 psi). Should the Air Conditioning system pressure rise to 18 bar (261 psi), the fan will automatically run on the High Speed.

Bypassing the Resistor:
1. Unplug 3wire harness
2. Connect brown of socket>black wire's pin
3. Connect thin red/green of engine socket>fan's thick red
Effect: you'll get hi when low is called. Expect temps to be at 90s even when stuck in jams. That's where my temps hover after the resistor bypass. Just bear w/ the noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for ur input! I actually need to check with the radiador fan only as the ac trigers fan correctly(starta and stops) is the radiator mod a DIY or is there a place i can have that done?
DIY difficulty depending on how many plug you have near the radiator. if you have 2 plugs which is usually pre 2003 model then you will have to remove the fan or be creative like i was and just bypass near down by the fan but it is a tight squeeze. but if you have 1 plug then your all good 10 mins and your done and no fan to be removed :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.