MiniTorque.com banner

341 - 360 of 979 Posts

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Right now I'm thinking OEM BOV internals + Alta BOV Spring Upgrade. I'm in the process of getting hold of one. If anyone on here knows of a UK reseller, please let me know :thumbup1:

I'm finding the discussion on NAM that I've been following too much opinion-based to be hugely useful at this point in time, but not less interesting. At least, some people on there seem to agree that the lack of a proper seal on the VAG BOV internals means leaking boost. The arguments and explanations that sound most plausible to me are all in favour of the OEM bits over the VAG bits.

Another point that was raised on NAM is that the R56 MCS BOV was different from the R56 JCW BOV until 2009. Not to jump to conclusions that this would explain mixed experiences amongst users, but just something to bear in mind I guess.

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
i like it jurgen. the power you got from the evolve sports cat is most likely identical to the milltek. after reading your review of it. i couldnt put it in different words from my experience of the milltek. 20-30% increase in all noises. WIN.

wow. the power increase you got in the rev range is exceptional. its useable power nad not headline grabbing peak power at 6-7 thousand rpm. i would sacrifice low and mid range power anyday for headline grabbing peak power.
the car will out perform your previous incarnation without the sports cat all day long.

interesting read about the vag bov. keep us all posted. if it wasnt soo hard to take off. i would have suggest evolve do a run with the VAG bov and with out it.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Will be fitting Alta spring in mine in couple of weeks. Not got to much else done engine wise yet ITG and JCW back box. Will let you know how it feels. Sorry no plans to dyno until I get round to bigger mods and map, so it will be my un-educated feedback for now.
I should have got hold of a few of these while I was in the states, I didn't realise no-one stocked them here yet.
Hopefully Lohens will stock them in, if the feedback from a here is good. I know Czar was looking into these a few weeks back. Would be good to get feedback on the actual effects.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Will be fitting Alta spring in mine in couple of weeks. Not got to much else done engine wise yet ITG and JCW back box. Will let you know how it feels. Sorry no plans to dyno until I get round to bigger mods and map, so it will be my un-educated feedback for now.
I should have got hold of a few of these while I was in the states, I didn't realise no-one stocked them here yet.
Hopefully Lohens will stock them in, if the feedback from a here is good. I know Czar was looking into these a few weeks back. Would be good to get feedback on the actual effects.
Czar posted his findings a couple of days back and was overall positive about the results. Getting hold of the Alta spring here in the UK is an expensive pain at the moment. Not sure if I want to wait for Lohen to stock these.

i like it jurgen. the power you got from the evolve sports cat is most likely identical to the milltek. after reading your review of it. i couldnt put it in different words from my experience of the milltek. 20-30% increase in all noises. WIN.

wow. the power increase you got in the rev range is exceptional. its useable power nad not headline grabbing peak power at 6-7 thousand rpm. i would sacrifice low and mid range power anyday for headline grabbing peak power.
the car will out perform your previous incarnation without the sports cat all day long.

interesting read about the vag bov. keep us all posted. if it wasnt soo hard to take off. i would have suggest evolve do a run with the VAG bov and with out it.
I've done some data logging myself with the VAG valve diverter and compared it to some earlier data from before the mod. The data suggests that the VAG valve struggles (and fails) to maintain the peak boost level at the higher rpm range. In fact, there is a 1-2 PSI drop-off that wasn't there in the OEM BOV setup. Peak boost between the two is identical, so at least I'm reaching max boost. I'll post up the results once Evolve have had a look at it. Also, my car suffers from an intermittently dodgy throttle (no codes, so dealer says computer-says-no :mads:), so that's not a suitable test environment either.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So this does suggest that the VAG internals don't seal completely as was suggested by czar.

What do you exactly mean by intermittently dodgy throttle?

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
So this does suggest that the VAG internals don't seal completely as was suggested by czar.

What do you exactly mean by intermittently dodgy throttle?
On some days the car is hardly drivable with sports mode off and throttle response is bad and torque kicks in 750-1000 rpm later. On other days the car feels like it's stuck in sports mode and feels 30+ bhp more powerful in the 2k-3k rpm band. It also sounds different (if you know what to listen for).

Going to have actual vs requested throttle analysed. Hopefully it will tell me something.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Hi Jurgen, what suspension mods do you have on this so far? Tried reading throught the thread but I think I missed it.

Thanks
- MeisterR Europa coilovers
- Eibach ARBs (F26mm/R20mm)
- Alta v2.0 adjustable drop links
- Eibach adjustable lower rear control arms
- M7 strut brace
- corner weighted

Powerflex bushes are next.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #351 (Edited)
Evolve FMIC & roll back to OEM BOV valve diverter

Finally had the long awaited Evolve FMIC fitted yesterday, replacing the Forge FMIC. While we were at it, the VAG BOV valve diverter was swapped in favour of the OEM valve diverter. Dyno runs with the evolve MINI showed that it's losing power at wide open throttle. After reading up on it on NAM (including some posts from czar), my main concern with the VAG valve diverter was that the turbo had to spin faster to compensate for the boost leakage in order achieve the same peak boost, so I was keen for it to come out. Even though I had asked evolve for one to be fitted when they were still testing it themselves, Imran refused to charge me for it as "it didn't work". :thumbup1:

The Evolve FMIC has certainly met my expectations, but it took a couple of dyno sessions and a road test to see consistent numbers (suspecting the OEM valve diverter as the culprit). When we plugged in a data logger, it confirmed that the car was struggling to reach 18-19 psi, while it should reach 22.28 psi. We then took the car out for a test round the Evolve test track to do some data logging (boost & air intake temps) under driving circumstances. Soon we felt that the car was regaining power and was boosting 22.28 psi again. We left the Evolve test track to do another dyno session, which showed consistent results. Fuelling was fine, so we suspect that it must have been something with the OEM valve diverter :glare:. Alta uprated BOV spring is next on the mod list...

For those who are interested to see some data, log files are available for download (disclaimer: not tried this before...). Test circumstances were not identical, but it is fair to say that the inlet temps with the Evolve FMIC measured at 24.5 C are largely similar to inlet temps with the Force FMIC at 16.5 C.

- Forge FMIC tested on the M4 at 16.5 C ambient temp
- Evolve FMIC tested round the Evolve test track at 24.5 C ambient temp

Peak power is up to 270 bhp and torque now exceeding 300 ftlb and some clear gains between 4,5-6k rpm.

I got to take the Evolve MINI for a spin round the Evolve test track :tongue_smilie: to experience what the hybrid turbo is like. Imran stressed that it is a work in progress and that a lot of mapping work has to be done to unlock its potential, but I have to say that I'm very impressed so far. Power kicks in a little bit later, but the subsequent delivery is strong, smooth and very linear. It's almost like you're driving a 2.5 litre naturally aspirated engine. At 6k rpm it was still accelerating. It reminded me a bit of my R53. I can't wait to take it for another drive when evolve have taken development to the next stage, but it is obvious that it has loads of potential.

Later in the day, Ben and Jove arrived in the MTR MINI. In all honesty, it looks great in the flesh, even with bits wrapped in carbonette. Astro Black and colour coding go very well together (cc'ed trims, inserts and splitter look nom nom) and the matte effect of the carbon is a nice touch to it to balance out the colour coding. I was truly impressed by the quality of the paint job. And yes, stock exhaust + decat sounds proper. Good luck with the development of the car chaps, it's coming together nicely so far :thumbup1:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congratulations Jurgen and thanks a lot for all the info! :cheers2:

Reactions: TDLC

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh good stuff! Can't wait for delivery of mine now!

What performance mods are you runnign now Jurgen?

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Oh good stuff! Can't wait for delivery of mine now!

What performance mods are you runnign now Jurgen?
Evolve remap, Evolve Sports Cat downpipe and Evolve FMIC. One-stop-shop :lol:

Running the OEM JCW airbox with ITG panel filter.

Intersting stuff dude :thumbup: Hybrid turbo sounds promising.... :sneaky2:
Yes the hybrid turbo has impressed me. You should start saving for one dude.

Congratulations Jurgen and thanks a lot for all the info! :cheers2:
You're welcome Carlos :cools:

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
TDLC - i have the alta spring installed. it sounds beter en the boost feels beter. I' didn't do any dyno run yet. But you could also go for the new forge Blowoff. It replaces the whole electric OEM BOV. If you wan tto know more you should ask Ducks.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
TDLC - i have the alta spring installed. it sounds beter en the boost feels beter. I' didn't do any dyno run yet. But you could also go for the new forge Blowoff. It replaces the whole electric OEM BOV. If you wan tto know more you should ask Ducks.
Cheers for that ragnar

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
New throttle body & back to OEM drop links

New OEM Throttle Body

I have had enough of the dodgy throttle that has been plaguing the car for too long now since I had a P0120, P0122 and P1637 last December and spent a couple of hours on the hard shoulder on the M1. The fault codes never came back, so MINI refuses to replace the throttle under warranty (computer-says-no). So I decided to bite the bullet and paid for a new one. £192 for the part and £162 for labour, and the evolve remap messed up.

The throttle has improved immensely since the new part was fitted and there is noticeably more pull behind the throttle, but the car felt not as quick. It was still boosting to 22.3 PSI, but pops & bangs were gone and the car sounded OEM. I took it to evolve for a check, as I wasn't comfortable with boosting 22.3 PSI on a partially overwritten map. A couple of hours later, a fresh map was uploaded. The drive home was amazing. The car has never felt so strong before, probably owing to the new throttle body.

I've taken the old unit with me. If I ever sell the car to a MINI dealership, they can have their fucked throttle body back fitted to the car. That's for not taking customers seriously.

Alta V2 drop links fail

The guys at minicraft discovered what has been causing my rear suspension rattle. It turned out that the upper joint of the passenger side drop link had developed play. The ARB amplified the noise quite a bit, to the extent that my car sounded like a 15 year old banger... I've gone back to the OEM drop links temporarily and the car handles not great now, but rattle-free driving makes up a lot for it.

Here's a boring vid showing the faulty bit

It appears to be difficult to get hold of aftermarket drop links for the R56 these days if you want to stay clear from the Altas. I've ordered a set of NM Engineering drop links for the R56, but have to wait two more weeks for delivery. Two long weeks...

341 - 360 of 979 Posts