MiniTorque.com banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
It was 0c and crispy cold this morning. Should switch back to winters. Apparently it was a short season.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
There's a bloke on the other forum with a 997.1 Turbo by 9e. Although they're not for me, he likes the VMAX events:

"I always run circa 20-30 back to back 0-200mph-0 runs with a break for lunch in between. Will be attending 4 VMAX events this year so she'll do over one hundred 0-200-0 run again this year all on a completely stock engine and gearbox - incredibly rugged cars. No substitute for Porsche/9e we just turn up drive, beat most things this side of £300k and then drive home. Totally plug and play ."

I wish this were true of the R53 and my NA 9972: I'm trailering it to my indy today as there's an issue - the engine will start and run but if you rev it, it just stalls which makes it undrivable. I currently suspect it is the HPFP (the one already replaced under warranty before my time). hey ho.

In retrospect, you might not go too far wrong with a Mezger engined car, a 3.6 twin turbo 6MT maybe...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
All fixed, finally diagnosed as a dirty throttle body, now I just need to go and get it back ... just in time for my summer holidays!

If nothing else, I'll take myself on daily drives, just blatting around the countryside.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Just an observation but the 997 seems pretty noisy on the new MPS4S tyres, at least from memory, compared to the MPS2-N2 tyres. As soon as they're worn in I can report back on feel.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
I'm planning to go the annual festival at Alastaro on Saturday 29th August: it's the main day with the regional Cup racing, local club racing, time attack, concours, BBQ, pop up dealer garage, etc. and also a good long slot for experienced club members to take to the track in the middle of the day.

As I think we've written elsewhere, Alastaro is a nice wide and generally flat track with one downhill braking zone and two sweepers (always a buttock clencher), and a nice new final corner complex. In this thing, I seem to reach about 185kmh on the short main straight (coming out of a slow/1st gear corner), so it's not a fast track as such. I probably only get to about 160kmh in my no-brakes R53. And it's a 200km run to get there, so probably 500km in a day, although that's no issue in a 997.

I might even have something to say about the new tyres, as last time out t the new track at Kymiring, there wasn't actually any driving, just a few parade laps...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
In anticipation of tomorrow's Festival, I did a wash, otherwise known as an 'insect removal'. And I even sprayed some Quick Detailer from a bottle. This is because all of the other cars will be bloody spotless. And mine, sadly, won't be. It has some catpiss paint damage on the front bumper cover (becuaseDubai), a good peppering of stone chips (becauseFinland), and a couple of dings here and there (becauseIdiot) but I'm going to call it 'patina'. It's more than 10 years old and it gets driven. And Bob Alone Knows, it's fun ovetaking Turbos because they've overcooked their rear tyres launching out of each and every corner. You just have to wait a couple of laps, stay in the game ...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
You know, I still haven't washed the Carrera, it's still got a good smattering of rubber bits down the sides. Leftover marbles from the racing I suppose.

But I did find a guy who could repolish the lips of the stock Carrera Sport rims, to remove the cracked and peeling lacquer, and just take it back to bare metal which would be nice. The spokes would stay GT Silver. It's not a good look to run salt damaged lips... although most people wouldn't run the expensive optional extra wide 11.5" rear rims as winters.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
I never got around to sorting the salt-damaged rims and they're now back on the car, as winter came. It's now noisy in a different way from the noisy MPS4S summer tyres. And filthy again, as usual. I am planning a run tomorrow as EB is getting re-married and we've arranged something appropriate for the second time around. We might have taken the GP2 but it's still on summers.

And hopefully he's not reading this thread.

321 - 335 of 335 Posts