MiniTorque.com banner

301 - 320 of 335 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
I try and stay away from the how-do-I-spec-my-new-motor threads too. There's always somebody who literally can't live without "all the toys" (114 quid for coloured wheel caps? arse cooling and ball massaging seats?), and then there are a few purists who only want a wooden bench, static suspension, an aircooled engine and a manual.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
I need to update this with a few pictures from the 2019 Festival at Alastaro. Some pretty nice cars...

The Club was gracious enough to allow the members some track time in the middle of the day, in between all the racing, and I managed to be first out in the second session, which meant I was on warm tyres and doing flyers as additional cars were just coming onto the track from the pit lane: a Cayman got in the way and only just left me enough room to get past at the end of the main straight. I ended up going into the first corner a bit hot and a bit sideways. I really need to find the guy and get a download of his GoPro footage to see how close I got to the kitty litter...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I suppose I'll be back on the Carrera Sports and Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tyres before long. It's already been a cool and wet autumn and around freezing in the mornings... it's not so much fun on Michelins with 2 or 3mm right now.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Well, that's bollocks, it's still enormous fun, but it's also what the Americans call sketchy. Or Frisky maybe in English. It'll be a lot more predictable on the softer treaded winters.

And you have to love the sound of a cold start in the morning.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
So I switched tyres this morning, and not a moment too soon: the Michelins were worn down to the cords on the very inner edges of the rears and worn down to the wear markers on the inner edges of the fronts. Which might explain the squirliness.

And of course it was -1c, but at least the car came out of a warm garage and the roads were dry.

I have ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the spring. I've only done 64,000km and I'll be on my third set of summer tyres...!

First, Pirelli P Zero. They were OK but they aged and cracked in Dubai.

Second set, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 N2 rated (for warranty bollocks). An improvement on the Zeroes, and pretty good in the wet, but it seems that a combination of track days and negative camber have taken their toll (there was also some wear on the outside shoulders as well as the inside edges).

I was tempted by the Cup2s but they are ridiculously expensive and not perhaps much fun in the rain - and I only track a car a couple of times a season. OK, it was three times this season and maybe 6-7 20 minute sessions.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,720 Posts
How much camber is it, any scope for a taller tyre?
If rubbing on both shoulders it suggests under inflated, are you pumping up again after a track day ?

Considerd 3 sets of rims/tyres ? If it's a keeper it might save you money in the long run,

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
How much camber is it, any scope for a taller tyre?
If rubbing on both shoulders it suggests under inflated, are you pumping up again after a track day ?

Considerd 3 sets of rims/tyres ? If it's a keeper it might save you money in the long run,
I'm running the 305/30-19 rear tyre (same as the Turbo and GTs), but with lowered suspension and the AWD set up, there's little room to change tyre sizes. The C2s run a 295/30 instead. Some guys run 325s... But all 911s eat rear tyres on the inside eventually. It's just really hard to inspect them without a lift or actually jacking up the car and sticking your head underneath.

I've got -1.5 degrees of camber at the rear, which is about as much as you can get with the stock suspension, and I do check tyre pressures and deflate/reinflate tyres when at the track.

I think the problem is that the set up is compromised: there is too much camber for the day-to-day and not enough for the track, and I suspect the older Michelin Pilot Sport4 tyre rolls over a little onto the outside shoulder: there is 200kg of engine and 100kg of gearbox at that end. Maybe I should add a stiffer rear bar to keep it flatter. The new MPS4S should work better: it's marketed as 80% road/20% track tyre (the Cup2 ratio is the other way round) and all the boys love them.

I'd really love another set of rims and tyres, but this ain't a MINI where you can find a set of 17s for 200eur ... not to mention a set of tyres are probably 1500eur. And you can't fit a set of 4 wheels inside the car, so you'd have to change at home or bring a support vehicle.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
You make a good point. I'll have to weigh my summers and try a test fit (as I've already got the OE rails).

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Nothing much to report: since we seem only to be having the full Scottish (wet and windy) winter in the south, the Carrera hasn't seen snow and resembles a large flat dry brown turd. I should really wash it, but you know how tempting it is to go out into what is about 6 hours of semi-dimness at 1c.

·
Registered
222 Posts
but you know how tempting it is to go out into what is about 6 hours of semi-dimness at 1c.
Gotta be better than semi darkness at 40c down here at the moment. Although the fires have passed us and we are pretty good at the moment.

James

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Gotta be better than semi darkness at 40c down here at the moment. Although the fires have passed us and we are pretty good at the moment.
Yup, we may all be suffering from global warming, but you lot are having a torrid time of it. It's heartbreaking. Hope you stay safe.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
This year, I'll mostly be driving my 997. I'm hoping to find at least one new track this season, either the new KymiRing or Auto24 at Pärnu (in Estonia).

There are no mods planned (unless I find an IPD intake plenum for cheap), I just need new summer rubber, and I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on order.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
The 4x MPS 4S have arrived for my 4S. €1110 worth of brand new rubber. I'd like to have gone for Cup2s but they were nearly twice the price.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
The Michelins are now installed on the OZs, and I await the spring with interest...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
The Michelins are now installed on the OZs, and I await the spring with interest...
Well, the spring appears to be trolling us. I've got brand new, unbroken-in summers on the 4S, and it's been snowing. Again this morning.

301 - 320 of 335 Posts