MiniTorque.com banner

281 - 300 of 329 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Let's see how it goes this Saturday in the real track cars at Alastaro. Hopefully it's warmer and drier (although a wet Alastaro is a good place for powerslides in a 911).
Last hour (or two) of the bimmer track days is for all makes and models. You just need to figure out how to get multiple cars to track days... ;)

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Last hour (or two) of the bimmer track days is for all makes and models. You just need to figure out how to get multiple cars to track days... ;)
I've just applied for the permission to teach my son to drive, but it may take a while before he gets his license. He can then drive the 53 to traclk days for me. And in only another 13 years he'll be insured for the 997.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I fixed the brake light but my MAF sensor seems to have failed, despite removal and cleaning, and I've still got a CEL. I'll need to get a new one at some point. I'll get it done at the same time as the Function First transmission poly bushes: need a lift and some ability to get those in. And I need to top up my coolant (hope there's no leak). But at least there seems to be a decent independent in Helsinki to try out.

Apart from the usual niggles, this thing is just a joy to punt down the road (and it's so much louder in the garage than the 991.2 with the 3.0T engine)!
The 997 went to the garage, for replacement of the drivers side fan assembly, driver side door lock assembly (window wouldn't drop), full service, and MAF sensor replacement. I'm now substantially poorer. But at least I have the car back for the times the MINI doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Minis always work, anything different is merely a figment of your imagination,

Reactions: JKo and tcbw

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
or the passenger....

Reactions: tcbw

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Some Martini stripes happened. This is of course the equivalent of adding bonnet stripes to a Cooper in 2002. :thumbdown:

20190708_174140.jpg

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
I took the 997 to the BMW/MINI event...

The R53 needed annual inspection. And I had to take the Sparco out... so I drove the Carrera over to Alastaro, and took DoubleP out for some laps instead. And I lost the OZ wheel caps from the fronts.

20190718_134042.jpg

20190810_145249.jpg

20190811_133405.jpg

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
I need a rant. It might be best to do it over here.

On the FFS-list today.

1. “What’s it worth?” valuation threads
It’s worth what someone will pay for it today. Clean it up, return it to stock, and advertise it at the going rate.

2. “Is it worth it?” threads
Yes, you’re so worth it.

3. “What fucking oil?” threads
Synthetic. Changed from time to time. Or more frequently than the manual suggests.

4. “What fucking spacer?” threads
It’s 7&15mm at all times. At least until you take into account the ride height, the alignment (and especially the camber), the rims, the tyre profile, the tyre width and your preferences for tucked or hellaflush (sic).

5. ‘Is it really?’ [chocolate engine/IMS/bore score] threads
Yes it fucking is. Engines fail from time to time, some more than others, and mostly because they were abused and/or weren’t properly maintained.

6. manual v PDK threads
‘Manual is more involving’ is a very convincing argument from one who dailies a fucking Range Rover and only drags out the garage queen for one weekend in four in order to go and buy a cup of decaf coffee.

7. Purist ‘as it left the factory’ threads
I really don’t care how it left the factory in order to comply with some fucking standard for snow chains in Nebraska.

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
I need a rant. It might be best to do it over here.

On the FFS-list today.

1.“What’s it worth?” valuation threads
It’s worth what someone will pay for it today. Clean it up, return it to stock, and advertise it at the going rate.

2.“Is it worth it?” threads
Yes, you’re so worth it.

3.“What fucking oil?” threads
Synthetic. Changed from time to time. Or more frequently than the manual suggests.

4.“What fucking spacer?” threads
It’s 7&15mm at all times. At least until you take into account the ride height, the alignment (and especially the camber), the rims, the tyre profile, the tyre width and your preferences for tucked or hellaflush (sic).

5.‘Is it really?’ [chocolate engine/IMS/bore score] threads
Yes it fucking is. Engines fail from time to time, some more than others, and mostly because they were abused and/or weren’t properly maintained.

6.manual v PDK threads
‘Manual is more involving’ is a very convincing argument from one who dailies a fucking Range Rover and only drags out the garage queen for one weekend in four in order to go and buy a cup of decaf coffee.

7.Purist ‘as it left the factory’ threads
I really don’t care how it left the factory in order to comply with some fucking standard for snow chains in Nebraska.
Until you got to the 911 specific bits I thought this was an mt rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Until you got to the 911 specific bits I thought this was an mt rant
That may be but there isn't so much 'value' in a MINI that you have to talk about it for 900 endless pages. A car is just a cost, multiplied by some factor to keep it on the road. Cars are not a store of value.

It's as if all they want to talk about on the forums and media is how "to get into" and how "to get out" of a GTS, a Turbo, a 992 etc. What the fucking fuck? Don't you mean, how to buy a car or sell a car and fund the next one. It's all ticking the fucking bucket list for some exotic, a Merc, a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini. If you want to churn your motors, then it's going to cost you x pounds-per-mile, and you'll have to explain why there are six owners on a 20,000 mile car in 12 months with a patchy history becuase no-one owned it for long enough. All they have to show for it is a pile of spacers.

The last fucking fucker I met who'd just "got out of" (don't you mean 'sold'?) a C4S and had got "into" - or bought? - a 358 was getting in my bloody way. If you can't drive, fucking pull over.

::getcoat::

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
I agree with 90% of that, don't forget It's all relative, to how big your balls are to to your income, :wink:

For me modifying a new R53 @ 10k and one year into my fresh from factory oem warranty back in 2006 took far more balls than than these multiple Porsche owners crying that their gt4 gayman may "loose" a couple of quid if they drive more than 1k per year. God forbid you chose the wrong colour, factory option, added some kind of aftermarket item

Yes it grinds my shit, buy it and enjoy it, even better modify it, if you can't do at least the 1st 2 your a fucking retard,
"please keep your 1st world problems to yourself".

That's for "Porsche owners club" or Gp owners club etc & not the nutty Finnish :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Not driving your car is like not shagging your bird.... You're just keeping it clean for the next guy....

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
I suppose I'm just not in the buying-and-selling club. Once I've bought it, I tend to hang on to it and accumulate fellow nutters who think the same way...

281 - 300 of 329 Posts