MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Things are starting to get a bit more exciting down here in the sandbox: I've just paid the deposit on my new wheels! I've been getting pretty tired of the ropey old rent-a-wreck.

I found a nice February 2010 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S (997.2) 3.8 flat six with 385PS/420NM (or 380bhp and 310 lb/ft) in 'Carrara White' over Ocean Blue leather interior with the 7 speed double clutch gearbox (PDK), PASM (Bilstein Damptronic active suspension), Porsche Sports Exhaust (with flaps!), Sports Chrono Pack+ (with auto, sports, and sports+ modes, and launch control for 4.3 seconds to 100kmh), Sports Seats Plus, PCM 3.0 with sat nav, and some funky GT Silver/polished rim Carrera Sport 19" wheels (they look great in the flesh, a little bit like Minilites!).

Since it comes from the OPC (=dealer) and has just 25,022 km on the clock and an "approved" label, it has a 12 month Porsche warranty and roadside assistance, together with a years membership of the Porsche UAE Club (USD75).

I was actually looking for a manual RWD 2S but this popped up within budget and I reckon it just looks a bit tougher with the wide body (a massive 44mm in the track) and the oh-so-cool full width red strip at the back. :lol: And there aren't any manuals...

9972 4S white.jpg

20150921121136706_001.jpg

20150921121138637_002.jpg

20150921121141581_003.jpg

20150921121143580_004.jpg

:thumbup1:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've been so excited that I can't sleep properly, I have to get up and surf for some upgrades - I want to swap the steering wheel for the one with the flappy paddles.

Since I haven't heard a lot of good things about the dealer, the first thing I'll do is get the car fully re-inspected (with a nice thick written report) from a decent independent (just around the corner from my office as it turns out), and then serviced with fresh fluids, plugs, belt etc. so I have a new baseline. And even though it's only cosmetic I'll have to replace the old yellowed vinyl protective wrap on the front of the rear wheel arch - it even looks shit in the advertisement photos I posted above.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I would be the same, I keep telling myself...one day... :thumbup1:

It does look like someone has pissed on your rear arch though.
And they've put the steering wheel on the wrong side :lol:
Absolute beauty of a car mate, hopefully the white will deflect the heat too

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And they've put the steering wheel on the wrong side :lol:
Absolute beauty of a car mate, hopefully the white will deflect the heat too
My cars have had the steering wheel on the right side for many years now. Although it was odd to visit Australia a while back and hire a massive purple RWD Ford Falcon XR6 with a 4.0 litre straight six: I kept getting into the passenger seat!

Both the cars are white on practical grounds: the Lexus G3350 that we rented for a bit was dark grey and the Mazda6 rent-a-wreck that I'm rolling in is also dark grey, which means that if you have to park outside in the sun for a bit, they're about as hot as a pizza oven, and when it's around 40c outside and the car's so hot that you're better off baking in the sun, it's pretty much impossible to actually drive them anywhere. Which sucks massive hairy goat balls.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As with all things motorised, thoughts soon turn to modifications. Right now, it's the information gathering stage but it seems that I can get a paddleshift retrofit kit from TechArt for the steering wheel (this may be more cost effective than the Sports PDK wheel from Porsche) and a Sharkwerks centre silencer to add more noises and release perhaps 10bhp at the wheels, which is compatible with the Sport Exhaust's valves! Funnily enough, it seems there isn't much you can do to improve the PASM/Bilstein Damptronic suspension but you can fit -20mm matched springs from TechArt. Let's see how I get on with the speed bumps. I may also need to add some 7 and 15mm spacers too, just to improve the offset. I can't see myself splashing out on new rims just yet: I don't even want to think what a set of 19x8 (front) and 19x11s (rear) would cost, or even a set of 18s, with some stickier rubber.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a lot of people pointing me in the direction of Sharkwerks. Also need to find some decent forums, as I don't think Pistonheads is quite there - I was just reading a thread about some bloke asking if he could use his Porsche for a 100 mile commute (which even by my maths is only 50 miles each way). All pointers welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are a lot of people pointing me in the direction of Sharkwerks. Also need to find some decent forums, as I don't think Pistonheads is quite there - I was just reading a thread about some bloke asking if he could use his Porsche for a 100 mile commute (which even by my maths is only 50 miles each way). All pointers welcome.
Try the forums at Rennlist and Pelican Parts. They're probably the biggest in the US for Porsches. Also, you can always email Sharky. He's knowledgeable, no pressure, and a Brit. :thumbup:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, but that is because the engines in the Gen1 are made of cheese.

The OP has bought correctly with the Gen2 dfi lump.
Well, there is a lot of talk on the internet about the IMS failures and scored bores and rebuilt engines, but these issues affected the 996 as well - but the engine was one of the reasons I steered clear of the 997.1. The other was that if I couldn't get a manual, then I wasn't going to settle for the old Tiptronic automatic, I wanted the proper twin clutch PDK gearbox. There was quite a lot of evolution in the .2 engine, including better coolant flow and much better oil flow, especially under lateral loads.

Although, from what I can see, 997.1s in decent condition are still £25k or so (not that I'm buying in sterling), and would still make a decent daily driver. A nice simple Carrera 2 or 2S without PASM and a manual would still be a great great car for the money.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try the forums at Rennlist and Pelican Parts. They're probably the biggest in the US for Porsches. Also, you can always email Sharky. He's knowledgeable, no pressure, and a Brit. :thumbup:
Thanks, I've been lurking on 6speedonline, rennlist and renntrack, but Pelican Parts is a new one to me. There were also several threads on the various BMW forums in UK and US about M3 v 911 which I found curious. The Sharkwerks guide to 997s is also a great read, but having heard the exhaust with the flaps open, I'm not sure that I need any more noise. Just yet.

On another note, it seems that I have the very supportive Sports Seats Plus (with hard backs, not leather) on the spec list, which is a ... er... plus.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm going to have to get used to Porsche pricing: the Porsche Sport PDK paddleshift wheel is over €1500 installed - and that means you need to swap out the whole wheel and I'd lose the buttons on the current set up.

Instead, I'm going to go for the TechArt retrofit paddles which can actually be retrofitted to the current wheel ... and spend the difference on the Sharkwerks centre exhaust.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts