MiniTorque.com banner
481 - 495 of 495 Posts

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
I'm super happy that my boy passed his driving test in the R53 on Wednesday morning; I can now remove the 'driving school mods' (the extra mirrors, the rear learners' triangle (L-plates to most of you lot), and the additional brake pedal - although I suppose that I'll have to keep that for the next kiddiewinkle - and I can revert to the proper summer set up: semi-slicks, BBK, bucket seat, firmer suspension, no rear seat...

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
You may have seen but BRB is now car-of-choice for the next generation; both my son and one of my nephews are now 18 and have their driving licenses, and I was able to take them out at Alastaro.

It is a bit nerve-wracking to sit in the passenger seat and try to instruct, where they have no idea about the line, the braking point, the turn in point, etc - despite all those hours playing racing games. But at least they could get some of the initial exuberance out of the system, and there were no crashes. I did have a little spin as I turned in too hard just prior to the last corner, but it was wet. I suppose they went out a bit wary...

I'm now feeling that the sensible thing to do is fit a half cage, buckets and harnesses for protection.

And thanks btw to JKo for the GoPro video of Onni's first time out.

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
There's always something. My aircon appears to have died; my local expert informs me that the clutch died, and sadly it seems that the offending item is not available at the moment... I may need the whole new condenser. Hmmm.

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
The 100k Supercharger Service

It was about time to do the much-discussed supercharger service since the car has done about 140,000km.

So Micke came round on the basis of promises of coffee and banter. But he’s done it before, so it only took an 11 hour session, but that being said, we did go to Biltema, the Burger King Drive Thru and also Motonet, and we had two coffee breaks …

We removed 100ml of stinky oil, but of that only 5ml from the small (non-pulley) end. We addded 140+40ml. The blades looked great.

‘Since we were in there’, we (ie Micke) replaced the water pump, replaced that upper coolant hoses (which fouls and rubs on the radiator shroud, which had a sharp edge which was trimmed), the crank sensor o-ring, the auxiliary belt (a 2 year old Gates had stretched), and the air con clutch (which had failed in the autumn).

There is a small crack in the alternator but I won’t replace until it dies (they seem to live on with some big cracks), and the idler pulley was a bit graunchy, and needs replacing. It’s a solid day of work, but satisfying.

Next we’ll add a baffled sump - becauseracecar- as Micke is making up a batch and I’ll obviously change the oil at that time. And it looks like the sump gasket needs replacing anyway. No doubt we’ll find something else…

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
My season has opened, and there's an update in the MTGF trackwork thread.

I need to more ready for the PorscheRing in Estonia, and three days of talking bollocks.

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
The Estonia trip was great, but I now have to do some more work on the fucken MINI.

In addition to the BBK which is still missing some little bolts, I now need to replace the CV boots (one split at the track and puked out all the grease...), the rear control arms (one self-disconnected), and also the idler pulley. And something else which currently escapes me.

Apart from that, the old Nitto NT01's held up and still have some life in them. They just keep on working and according to the Americans, will work right down to the cords. They've been amazing, well worth it, and they enabled me to at least keep up.

·
Bob’s your uncle
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
BRB has a new drivers' side driveshaft, many thanks once again to Micke, who seems only to like working on other people's cars. Basically I just made the coffee...

It didn't take long to do the actual removal and replacement, but it took a while to remove the wheel, caliper, disc, steering arm and especially the lower arm ball joint for enough access. And RIP one Biltema ball joint splitter tool. So now I have a nice new Starke (cost €110 with shipping from Germany). The old driveshaft seems OK and could usefully be refurbished with new CV boots/grease and added to the stash.

We didn't get too far with the right rear lower control arm which had seized and popped off at Pärnu. I'll need a new bolts and sleeve/spacer for the new rose joints that finally rocked up from KAVS.

As to The List, it just got a bit longer with idler pulley, and a baffled sump now in marinade and waiting to be installed.

·
Mr. White Shoes
566 Posts
Where is a broken R53, there am I 😁
Happy to help as always, good that it’s now back on the road. Too bad that the RCA job was not done, will take some more hammering, a set of new bolts and fire to loosen those bastards.
It does need some things to be done but sooner than later it will be ready for the next track day season 👍🏻

481 - 495 of 495 Posts