MiniTorque.com banner

381 - 400 of 436 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
It is that time of year - and I applied a black and white filter to remove the brown.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Here's a question: at what point should you retire your Project R53 from daily (or semi-daily) duty, and just try to keep it in one piece for summer jollies and track days?

Or in other words, should I get another MINI as a daily? I don't know why, I suddenly feel like I need a Clubman (1st gen, N18, JCW), for more refinement, more space, etc.

·
Hobo Member
377 Posts
A JCW clubman is nice. There is one parked where I work and must say that I wouldn’t mind owning 1. But I went the Type R route and soon will change that for a monthly ticket for the train...

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I'd say a good time is before it needs welding. So don't wait as long as I did.

Even the N18 has issues, although with enough preventive measures it might be a reasonably reliable daily. In fJCW guise the R55 does look very nice tho, at least once the wheel gap is addressed... and for the winter you'll need to put an LSD in it...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
I really liked the Tweedbean Clubman. As you say, it'll need coilovers, diff, as well as some decent pads, and maybe some power (DP, FMIC, AEM, map)... facepalm.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Well, it seems from a very quick bit of searching locally, I'll need to source a car from Germany or something.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
So, the sun's shining today and thoughts turn to summer and MTGF trackdays.

Inspired by what DoubleP could do at Knutstorp on a set of worn 595RSRs that I foolishly sold him for a bottle of whisky (they were unmounted), I've just ordered another set of Federals in 205/50-16 as new summer tyres to replace my old (2013) Bridgestone Potenza RE002s. I'll run the Nitto NT01's on dry days until there's nothing left...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
The 2020 to-do list:

1. fit new summer tyres
2. replace rear brake discs, pads and sensor
3. rear trailing arm conversion
4. supercharger service
5. diagnose and resolve the front end knock...

·
Bugger
25,340 Posts
I retired the R53 from daily use last September, the combination of moving house (garage) and the need to fit a dog in (Greyhounds don't like minis), as well as a lot of time spent on the farm with my wifes horse, has had me on the hunt for a defender for farm and winter duites.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Good luck in your hunt for a Land Rover.... You might be better off in an old Nissan X Trail (not the CashCowLookyLikey but the square one, even around here we can pick one up for less than 10kEUR).

·
Bugger
25,340 Posts
Good luck in your hunt for a Land Rover.... You might be better off in an old Nissan X Trail (not the CashCowLookyLikey but the square one, even around here we can pick one up for less than 10kEUR).
eBay is a dangerous thing, even without alcohol as I nearly bought an L322 Range Rover, even a semi decent V8 is under £4K GBP. Fucked Landys are more...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
I'm planning to replace the rear brake discs and pads on Saturday - if Micke can come down in his VTECyo to help - and get back on the road. Currently there's no stopping power.

And the fresh Federals have arrived in 205/50-16 flavour for summer daily duty/track day wets. I'll sling them on at some point.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
It seems that I still need to bleed the brakes, or maybe just replace the fluid completely (there is no bite), and also replace the auxiliary belt and spark plugs. Still, I got a good deal on the Brembo Motorsport discs for 69eur, so that made me feel better.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
If the R53 is to be retired, I'll need a daily. At this point, I may need to go down the MTGF route and get an annual rolling shed for the commute and the airport runs. This is not a tempting proposition.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Evo 9 wagon maybe...
You know, I did have a quick look at some tatty WRX estates ... if I have to play the practical card with SWMBO.

It did occur to me overnight however that maybe I should finally get something RWD for a change.

381 - 400 of 436 Posts