MiniTorque.com banner

361 - 380 of 434 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
I need to sort out the brake feel: the pedal is too long and soft. I've changed the brake fluid and it's been flushed twice, which leads me to think that either I have a problem with the ABS or the master cylinder. Any ideas on what to do next?

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
As I have written elsewhere, there's usually something knocking, clonking or banging somewhere. It turns out that my skid plate is missing a couple of the bolts, and was hitting the subframe. I got underneath and bodged a repair yesterday (I even took the front bumper off for access) but basically I need a new set of hardware to fix it back on properly. That is, once I've removed it and straightened it out a bit. Finnish roads...
I bodged the earlier bodged fix with some extra zip ties (go hobo or go home) but it turns out my diagnosis was wrong.

There's something a-knockin, but it ain't the skid plate.

It must be suspension related, ARB, drop links, or some such, but it's got me confused as it only happened after the new clutch/flywheel/diff was installed, and I've pulled prodded and poked everything I can - and when we fitted the new Vorshlag top mounts to the Öhlins we tightened up everything we could find. And yet, still it knocks (even if it passed the MOT/katsastus). Hmm.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
if only after clutch the first thing I'd look at is bottom ball joints, or engine/transmission mounts perhaps, strut pinch bolts too. When is it knocking?

Reactions: tcbw

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I had a weird knock that took a while to hunt down... there are some power steering hard lines above/around the steering rack on the right hand side, which should be bolted down with a bracket. Mine was missing a bolt, and making almost loose drop link kind of noises.
I have noteced thst allso. Mine is still loose and when turning ir driving in bumb it makes noise. Good point Jussi. One more thing I have to fix during winter

Lähetetty minun H9436 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
if only after clutch the first thing I'd look at is bottom ball joints, or engine/transmission mounts perhaps, strut pinch bolts too. When is it knocking?
It's the passenger side, so it rattles and clonks over potholes, manhole covers, and the like, where there isn't much load on the suspension. When getting a move on, there are no noises. The engine seems well tied down, and the mount isn't leaking, so I'll have a look at the ball joints and pinch bolts, and steering lines bracket.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Ok, so if you have camber adjustable top mounts, check the allen keys fixing the camber position are tight....

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Ok, so if you have camber adjustable top mounts, check the allen keys fixing the camber position are tight....
It's not the top mounts, they've been adjusted and readjusted many times. I appreciate your suggestions though. The sound seems to be coming from higher up in the body, although sound can travel... maybe it's the bracket that JKo mentioned? We'll have to have another 'carage weekend' (haha) and get many sets of eyeballs earholes and prybars on the car.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Did you suddenly lose all braking on one side? Perhaps not, as I haven't heard you woke up in a ditch upsidedown?

Which would be pretty easy right now, it was onky 2.5c this morning and I'm running worn Bridgestone summers...

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Did you suddenly lose all braking on one side? Perhaps not, as I haven't heard you woke up in a ditch upsidedown?

Which would be pretty easy right now, it was onky 2.5c this morning and I'm running worn Bridgestone summers...
Pedal went soft, and probably would've gone to the floor with enough force. Luckily I was only a few blocks away from my garage, so I tip toed the car there using mostly first gear and the handbrake... the narrow ramp down to the garage was interesting with the handbrake, as the rears kept locking up. :laugh:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
I had another poke around in the engine bay, as I reckon the suspension's all tight, and the skid plate has been reattached. The only thing that seems to be loose is the lower heat shield, which is easily bent, and doesn't seem to catch on anything, but it would probably need some tightening up.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
I'd forgotten about the grip and handling on winter tyres, BRB is pretty frisky when the road's frozen, even on the Nokian StuddedBastards.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #378

I like the way the car is sitting in this shot on 16" OZ Ultras with an offset of ET32, -1.5 degrees of camber all round, maybe -35mm ride height at the front, and -30mm at the rear.

361 - 380 of 434 Posts