MiniTorque.com banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Not much in terms of an update really.

Had my Steering wheel replaced under warranty at work. Truthfully there was nothing wrong with it, just as I'm sure we all know the suede does wear a little over time and I had the option of getting a brand new one for free. So I did. :thumbup1:

Went out the other week and got a few pictures before winter sets in and the car becomes filth...

I'm half way through de-chroming the car. Got the light rings and now just waiting on the Bonnet grill surrounds.

Then a few weeks back I did nearly swap wheels (and cash his way) with a friend of mine. Has a set of Compomotive MO6's which I think look great on most cars but when I got them on mine, it just didn't do it for me. I know they're a 'better' wheel than the Team Dynamics but it just didn't work as well as I hoped.
Maybe when I've got a cage etc they'll suit better as I've always seen them to be more of a track focused wheel.

Only got the one picture of them on and its not the best. Although the more I look at it... :thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Liking what you've done so far mate, looks the nuts, I'm in 2 minds as to de chrome mine as well. R53 convertible though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Car looks smart and make me think I need to see how much I can wind the suspension on the GP down haha as my JCW sat like yours and it looks so much better haha.

I prefer it on your current wheels but did think how mo6's would look on the GP2......
Yeah it does look a lot smarter that bit lower. I've done the 'stance' game with like 10 degrees of camber on my civic.
I want this to be useable.

I'm sure you'll find a set of wheels for the GP soon enough.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Liking what you've done so far mate, looks the nuts, I'm in 2 minds as to de chrome mine as well. R53 convertible though.
Cheers dude, would probably look quite smart if you did it as the roof etc is black. Would work quite well!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
When's that challenge exhaust off on?
Funny you should say that... I've actually just sold it. Was going to cost a few £££ to get the system made I wanted and I risked it being too loud for track.
Need a clutch so putting the money towards that instead. Exhaust wouldn't have given me any real gain unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Yeah it does look a lot smarter that bit lower. I've done the 'stance' game with like 10 degrees of camber on my civic.
I want this to be useable.

I'm sure you'll find a set of wheels for the GP soon enough.
Yeah that's cool mate and a nice useable hight is definitely the way to go. Cheers mate the search continues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Bought some new shoes for it the other week.. Currently going through with some much needed TLC on them. Will get a picture up soon.

This means the Team Dynamics are for sale if anyone is interested.

17x7 and 4x100 unsure on offset. £400 if anyone is keen.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Couple of little updates..

The Team Dynamics have now sold and the New Wheels are being refurb'd as we speak.

Getting the tyres switched over from the TD's to my JCW wheels for the time being.

Bought a set of OZ Ultraleggera's 17x7 from Sam. They are in a sorry state, no fault of his own, the previous owner decided not to car for them.ha
I will get some pictures up when they are back, for now here are some pictures.

Managed to get a trial fit done whilst they were on the horrid tyres still to get an idea of what they will look like.

Really happy with how they look, need to get some centre caps ordered up at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I think it looks much better with the Ultra right now... but I did want to see a decent picture of the car with the Compomotives.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The time came for some new brakes upfront!

A lot of people dive in for a Big Brake Kit and sling on some 330mm rotors if not bigger. I personally think its unnecessary as its still a small car and weighs very little. With the right pad/disc combo you'll solve all your issues.

I went for Mtec C Hook discs and some Mintex M1144 pads. Considered the M1155 pads but from reviews I got the impression they was for the heavier car and the MINI wouldn't get the most out of them.

I use the car Mainly for fast road as its not my daily and the occasional track day. Intentions were to sling some braided lines on at the same time and get some racing fluid in there, but I didn't have anyone to help bleed the brakes on my day off (Stupid sales job, I have Thursdays off)

I will save the braided lines and fluid for another day.. definitely before my next track outing!

Words are boring, pictures are better.

Need to get some miles done on them before I start testing them properly, first impressions are good though. Even now the bite is stronger than standard pads.. will have to see how they fair up on track/ after some abuse.

Still waiting on the Ultraleggera's to come back, should be this week.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
You've got bigger brakes... You have 316mm rotors for a 56 JCW. People with non-JCW brakes usually upgrade. I've got APs and they're smaller than yours haha.

But, good choice of discs and pads! I'm only down in Colchester and can help you bleed the brakes as and when you need. Drop me a PM.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
I wouldn't have said MTEC was a good buy. Having had them myself, they cracked like hell after 1 track day.

Luke had it on his polo too.

Just keep an eye on them. Hopefully they've changed their supplier since then as I believe they just buy them cheap and machine any pattern you want.

As for the size. I'd agree mine are overkill but for the price, I'm glad I bought them. Never experienced any fade but have seen people experience it with the JCW rotors as they're only 22mm thick IIRC. Look up Themis' thread as I think he was the one who spaced his calipers to take thicker discs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
You've got bigger brakes... You have 316mm rotors for a 56 JCW. People with non-JCW brakes usually upgrade. I've got APs and they're smaller than yours haha.

But, good choice of discs and pads! I'm only down in Colchester and can help you bleed the brakes as and when you need. Drop me a PM.

Yeah that's a good point I guess.. most cars you see with big brake kits are Cooper S, which ofcourse just come with standard callipers.

Appreciate the offer for help... should be all ok to do it one weekend when I'm off and the lads are free. I'll bear you in mind for future should I need some help though!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Just keep an eye on them. Hopefully they've changed their supplier since then as I believe they just buy them cheap and machine any pattern you want.

As for the size. I'd agree mine are overkill but for the price, I'm glad I bought them. Never experienced any fade but have seen people experience it with the JCW rotors as they're only 22mm thick IIRC. Look up Themis' thread as I think he was the one who spaced his calipers to take thicker discs.
I was reading a few reviews on them and they seem to have got good reviews (for the money anyway). I've seen people having issues with drilled Discs cracking. Didn't realise it was on others too.
Interesting about the way they supply them, just getting them off a third party and changing the design essentially.

Any problems I'll post them up!!

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Yeah that's a good point I guess.. most cars you see with big brake kits are Cooper S, which ofcourse just come with standard callipers.

Appreciate the offer for help... should be all ok to do it one weekend when I'm off and the lads are free. I'll bear you in mind for future should I need some help though!
Yes, exactly.

No worries. Holla if you need me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Wheels come back from powder coating last week!
I am overly happy with the result. They are box fresh... I'll let the pictures talk!

Ordered up some new tyres also, was going to put my existing Pilot Super Sports on them but they wasn't great round Snetterton back in September and with a few days planned this year, I thought something better was in order.
Opted for a set of Yokohama AD08's. Always had good reviews and seem to be a good option for my uses of Road/track.

Excuse my little sisters Art skills on the shed.. I'm sure you'll all agree she's a natural.

Got them bolted up... #StanceNation

Looks good as it sits but will need to be raised a couple mm as it scrubs when cornering hard. The AD08's seem to be slightly bigger than the Michelin's despite being the same size.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts