MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Nope sound does not go away when clutch is pressed! So far the sound has not come back since doing an engine flush and oil + filter service along with a new chain tensioner, fingers crossed!!

I think it may have possibly been a sticky lifter, last oil change was 6 months ago with Mobil1 ESP 5w/30 so thought would give it an engine flush + new oil & filter as many recommend to change it every 5-6k miles, and to be honest the engine does sound a lot sweeter and the stuff that come out after the flush was black as the ace of spades.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Got a tapping sound after my R53 has been started up from cold, when warm it seems fine.

Sometimes if I turn the car off as soon as the tapping starts and then turn the car back on then it stops.

Any ideas?

Have never let it run low on oil and I'm always checking and topping up where necessary.

I'm thinking it may be the chain tensioner so I have one on hand ready to fit shortly, just looking to see if anyone else had any similar experiences and what your outcomes were?

All help appreciated!
I bought my car 8 years ago and it has been doing this off and on since. A stuck lifter or a bad spot on cam, everything else has been replaced. I have found out that if once a year I preform a seafoam treatment on the intake it takes care of the problem for about a year. The car seems to idle a little better since I started doing this also.

·
Bugger
25,362 Posts
I think they have all gone away considering it’s a 7 year old thread....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts