MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got a tapping sound after my R53 has been started up from cold, when warm it seems fine.

Sometimes if I turn the car off as soon as the tapping starts and then turn the car back on then it stops.

Any ideas?

Have never let it run low on oil and I'm always checking and topping up where necessary.

I'm thinking it may be the chain tensioner so I have one on hand ready to fit shortly, just looking to see if anyone else had any similar experiences and what your outcomes were?

All help appreciated!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Mine does this... Pisses me off. Sometimes it goes after 10 seconds, sometimes I'll turn it off and back on and it goes... Meh! I'm half hoping I blow the engine to give me an excuse to upgrade it!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean hydraulic lifter? Would this be an expensive fix? How much do they cost to replace?

I'm going to get the tensioner changed first as it only cost 30 quid so not major, but good to know what the common possibilities are...

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
depends on if your doing it yourself.
timing chain tensioner is cheap and easy, i would start with that.
if its bad and you do nothing it will destroy the guides.
The rocker shafts can be removed one at a time to change rockers problem is pinpointing what one you have problems with, new they are pricey but you should be able to find a nearly new used set to stick on.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering guys, would a faulty tensioner cause the tapping to speed up when increasing revs?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Might sound daft but check your plugs are tight. My car sounded ruff on cold start up , and was also making a ticking noise which I thought was my cam tensioner. But it were my plug that was loose and now it's stripped the threads out the head

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might sound daft but check your plugs are tight. My car sounded ruff on cold start up , and was also making a ticking noise which I thought was my cam tensioner. But it were my plug that was loose and now it's stripped the threads out the head
With your situation did the noise stop when warmed or was it constant?

I changed the tensioner yesterday and carried out a full engine flush and filled with new oil + filter and so far so good with the noises!

I'll probably check the plugs this weekend anyway to be on the safe side!!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will check them asap mate, I have a new set of NGK BCR8ES to go in anyway :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a torque wrench, any tips on manual tightening? If you don't recommend it then I can probably get access to a torque wrench from somewhere

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why would you run 8s thats too cold a 7 is better for you
and if you can get one it cant hurt.
Originally I was going to put a set of BKR7EIX iridium plugs in there after fitting a pulley, however when I took a trip to 1320 MINI to get my 15% pulley fitted they advised me not to use them and recommended the BCR8ES (non-iridium plugs but colder than standard).

Would you recommend that I go for a "7"?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Originally I was going to put a set of BKR7EIX iridium plugs in there after fitting a pulley, however when I took a trip to 1320 MINI to get my 15% pulley fitted they advised me not to use them and recommended the BCR8ES (non-iridium plugs but colder than standard).

Would you recommend that I go for a "7"?
I would stick with the advice 1320 gave you mate

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would stick with the advice 1320 gave you mate
Is this statement because you have no advice?

I never use a torque wrench on plugs....

Hand tight plus 1/2 a turn.... My hand tight and yours is prolly a lot different though lol

Never use the same plug more than twice...

·
Registered
621 Posts
As for plugs

Heat ranges when " quoted by most " is based on hearsay a lot of the time, joe did it so I recommend it, type of hearsay :)

Here's a really good read if you want to know the ins and out
NGK Spark Plugs USA

After you have read this, have a look at your plugs and decide yourself the correct range....

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you still can't figure it out, post up a pic of your plug tip and plug type / range and I'll tell you

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does the sound go away when you push in the clutch? My throwout bearing makes a little noise when it's cold...when I push in the clutch it goes away. When it's warmed up, I can't hear it any more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts