MiniTorque.com banner

281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #281 (Edited)
Slightly running out of time or should make the race weekend.....

My FL gearbox is fitted, am hopefully to see the benefits. Ideally I'd like not to have to use 2nd in tight bends, but mostly, I'm keen to see the performance difference. 1320 said they had 2 cars, both dynod there same day. One made 230hp with pre FL box, three other 200hp with FL box. Acceleration was identical both cars healthy, so is it a 30hp equivalent gain....hope so, that's be very nice lol.

I now also have a new Rallye head from Robert Cox Engineering. Looking at other images of ported heads, these seem to be much bigger. Hoping for good gains once fitted and mapped accordingly.

Changes in summary
I'm now on a 15% pulley not a 17%
I'm now on a FMIC not a TMIC
I'm now on a FL gearbox rather than pre
I'm now on a rallye head rather than stock.

Guessing on power difference on a post card. I think they may cancel out on the dyno where IATs are ar 21⁰ maximum before each run.

On track however, I was well above 60⁰ IAT consistently so if that reduces substantially my actual on track output should actually be more.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
For reference this is a standard head. If you look at the 1st image which is the exhaust port. You can see the gasket imprint. The ports are taken out to the 1st line.

The final picture is the inlet and that rectangle with the peak is completely machined out

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
It's not making more horsepower but the shorter ratio gears cancelled out a 30hp deficit on those 2 cars so it has the same effect as adding 30hp.

That's a rudimentary comparison dont get me wrong.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,205 Posts
Robert and I have 'history' over his methods. He even went so far as to delete the (very polite) conversations we had from his Facebook page. I'm sure all will be well but his lack of attention to detail in some areas is shocking. I've never seen a head he's done where all four exhaust ports are the same shape. This isn't what we had the disagreement about either. To be fair though, he's not alone as I've also had spats with 1320 and Kavs as well

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Coming along nicely :thumbup:

This might be a stupid question about the boxes but if the acceleration rate is the same how does one box make 30bhp more than the other :blink:
the box isn't making hp, that engine just 'has' 30hp more peak, the gearing is just working like a torque multiplier for the lower powered car hence the acceleration similarity, peak hp numbers will be at 7k or something anyway so no acceleration going on there if already at the rpm limit.

On the road or track either could still have an advantage due to weight or traction,

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
The IC hose popping off ruined my qualifying which messed up my starting position for both races.

Strapping it down with locksire was a good temporary fix.

Starting further back made for good racing with a 5th place finish in race 1 and then in race 2 after going from 18th to 4th I had a crash going for 3rd

Race 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4oRp1zAWoA&t=714s

Race 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WPxKJK43UY

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
So the off at Donny following that snapped driveshaft turned out to have caused way more issues which I hadn't realised between putting it in and off the trailer.

Basically my subframe had slipped and my top mount had jumped which left my steering wheel about 30⁰ off centre and skme odd characteristics. I noticed this when I drove out of the pits at Snetterton for qualifying which was less than ideal lol

Having never driven Snet 300 I didnt know the circuit, the weather was horrific with qualifying cut short to only 3 laps due to crashed cars.

Anyway, race 1 began with only 3 laps prior experience barely knowing what corner was coming up in heavy rain but turned into great fun! Ended up 8th of 34 although I did punt into someone which was less than ideal

Race 2 was dry but slippy. All was going well despite having only 10 laps prior experience on the the track. I was having a good race with a 30k+ Clio Cip Race car until i started getting fuel surge which caused me to retire the car to make sure didnt blow the engine. Frustrating!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chequebookracing/
Insta; @chequebookracing

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
So race season finished before it started, however, always stuff to be done to the car.

I've now got a set of Megane RS250 calipers fitted with 330mm GO discs. Difference over R56 setup with XP10s is astounding, and it has a better pedal feel.

Despite that I've also bought an E46 M3 Master cylinder which is going to be fitted by 1320 shortly whilst I'm stick overseas. Looking forward to a SOLID pedal!!

Anyway end of the season, I did the 6hr Birkett relay at Silverstone, awesome race despite biblical rainfall. Did it in a 6 car team with an old MG midget, E46 M3, EP3 Type R, and Maestro Turbo and came 17th of 70 cars.

Car was awesome and so good in the rain but fuel surge happened so much earlier than normal limiting me to 45 minute stints in the rain on rainsports, so there is clearly something up with my fueling system. Potentially fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump or filter, but we'll get yo the bottom.of it. Worst case I have a fuel surge tank and pumps I can fit. Should have been higher but the MG was on crossply tyres and beyond slow in the wet. His stint dropped us 8 places. Looked lovely though!

Anyway, I raced this season in Class B which is 180hp-240hp/ton with driver included. My car makes a lowly 209hp/ton. Given I'm about as light as it'll get, I did a drunken deal with Rob Cox to convert my ported Rallye head to his BVH. Also thrown in a new updated BPV and am hoping to get me closer to the 240hp/ton limits.

I've also been running a decat which I now know wasnt allowed. Getting a tom car fitted and apparently the additional back pressure helps the car make more power.

So now 1320 now have the car for the BVH, fueling issues, tomcat and some new mapping.

Hp guess anyone? (200 whp before the BVH)
Spec lists are pretty out of date in this thread so here goes:

Engine:
Robert Cox BVH
Facelift SC
15% SC pulley
Updated BPV
550cc injectors
JCW intake
Catcam 469
ARP headstuds
AIRTEC Front Mount IC
Link ECU

Chassis/brakes/gearbox
BC Racing RM series coilovers with 9kg/mm springs
Eibach RARB
Powerflex Black bushes all round
R56 rear trailing arms
Adjustable rear control arms
3J Driveline diff 40/90 85lb
Coolerworx shifter
Facelift gearbox
Megane RS250 brembo 330mm with PBS Prorace pads
Stock rear calipers, discs and pads

Body
Safety devices bolt in 6 point cage
CCF GRP Bonnet
CCF GRP Boot
CCF GRP Doors
Mini GP rear diffusers
R56 flat floor panels
Custom front splitter
Lexan boor and boot windows
17x7.5 PTO race 1.2 with 225 DZ03G Dirrezzas

Facebook: Chequebook Racing
Insta; @chequebookracing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Extra 10/15hp gain peak, with a small loss below 4/5k rpm, which might be counteracted by the addition of the cat.

Think you have mentioned previously, but how much does she weigh ?
Edit: Just seen you have posted your power/weight @ 209/ton so should be ~1080kg based on your dyno plot.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Yes mate, 1080kg including me. 1000 without me in it

I'd like 10-15whp gain of possible. Which equates to around 15-20hp/ton gain

Sadly, I think its a tad ambitious.
Facebook: Chequebook Racing
Insta; @chequebookracing

281 - 295 of 295 Posts