MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm about to change the pulley on my supercharger for a 17% one. while i am doing it is it worth changing the supercharger oil?
I know this is meant to be good for 100k and my car has only done 23k but it is now a 15 year old car so wasn't sure due to age if I need to.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
If you're going to remove the charger to change the pulley then it would be silly not to surely?
I've recently just bought a bottle of oil for £12 on Ebay (y)

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
it isn't good for 100k, did you get that off wheeler dealers? Plenty of fucked chargers well below there, 50k for service max imo.

Reactions: JKo

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
it isn't good for 100k, did you get that off wheeler dealers? Plenty of fucked chargers well below there, 50k for service max imo.
being new to mini's i saw that episode and went for the magic 100K oil change mark (it had done 97K when i got it anyway) but thankfully my charger was perfect when it was serviced, just most other things attached to it (including the car) was what was fucked!

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
wait 'til you see your big end shells....

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
They might not be so bad, I'm not scaremongering haha, these are 97k shells, no obvious noise, just a change to ARP bolts. You can't turn the clock back of course, crank wear is crank wear, and you can't see the mains which also may have wear, just not so typically such as this, but for the interim or engine longevity, the ends will likely need changing, even if did you take them out and find no wear (unlikely), at least they were checked easily ;O)

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I think the ends could potentially be a little more colourful if original haha

Of course you may have had the car from new, issue free, never run the oil past 5k intervals, never left the top mark, and added friction modifiers, and done little else to accelerate wear in perfect conditions, it's anybody's guess ;O)

Got some big miles on a few USA cars I believe, over here we seem to have a phobia of owning cars past 100k, and by the time some are there life can have been harsh and attention lacking, so it is what it is, pocket rocket, bang for buck, sadly so many of them are being broken every day, unless owned by fans or true enthusiasts, obsessed with residuals many view everything as more than the car is worth. A bit late for some picking one of these up to lavish attention on, but not always 'too' late ;O)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I changed mine at 88k and was amazed at how much was still inside the chambers. Heard stories of them being empty or nearly empty but mine weren’t at all. Also my Teflon Coates rotors were in pristine condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts