MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 818 Posts

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well never made a project thread so thought id get started now its getting interesting :laugh:

my cooper was just a poverty spec with no air con, no traction control and had no chilli pack but just loved the the look, since owning it its been all about looks as there wasnt much point in modifying the cooper engine with the midlands box, i have spent alot but done everything myself keeping prices down

day i picked it up

first mods were eibach 30mm lowering springs, tinted windows, jcw filter and a miltek cat-back! so looked like this...

after having the bonnet vandalised i fitted a cooper s bonnet and sprayed the wheels white :lol:

shortly after the bonnet was sprayed yellow and the wheels were binned for some TD 1.2s with an AP bbk behind them

at this point it looked how i want it and now i want power!!
instead of spending time stripping mine down to standard changing my AP brakes, coilies, wheels, manifold, carbon fibre bits, sorting out selling mine and buying a cooper s which im going to have to spend a grand more to get a decent one im putting a cooper s lump in mine which is alot of work but hopefully will be worth it:thumbup:

the bits i brought were:

ENGINE
FULL SUPERCHARGER
6 SPEED GEAR BOX
ALTERNATOR
STARTER MOTOR
ENGINE LOOM
2 DRIVE SHAFTS
ENGINE MOUNTS
EWS IGNITION BARREL & KEY
ENGINE MANAGEMENT
WATER RADIATOR & FAN
FUEL PUMP.

all this got delivered and i was like kid in a sweet shop untill i noticed the casting on the 6 speed gearbox was cracked underneath :cursing: after ringing the breakers up they agreed to send me another gearbox and chuck me a front slam panel in as compensation :tongue_smilie: so was happy with that!!

the engine has done 55k and after removing the rocker cover couldnt believe how clean the engine oil, rocker arms and the head casting was looked like new :thumbup:

booked the week off work and with some persuading i got my manager to let me use a ramp at work so i started on the monday whipping the cooper lump out, 10 am the car was like this

and in with the S engine and gearbox

the car was up and running but as it was late i left the car till the following day to make sure everything was good

the car drove so well with no probs and the power is awesome

a few months after the GRS intercooler went on along with a 17% kavs pulley making 210bhp on the evolve dyno, and after going santa pod the car set a very respectable 14.5 quarter mile

shortly after, modern mini magazine organized a photoshoot and the car had a 5 page feature in the mag which i was really happy with

and i was voted best cooper by the readers

the plans for 2011 include more power and an aggressive new look with black being the new 2nd colour and a GP

spoiler

exact spec:

2002 cooper r50

engine:
2003 cooper s engine
2007 r53 convertible ECU
2005 facelift gearbox
Kavs 17% pulley
GRS front mounted intercooler
Heat wrapped janspeed manifold
Cooper miltek cat back

To do:
newman cam
550cc injectors
1320 mynes tune

exterior:
JCW front bumper
JCW rear bumper
cooper s sideskirts
cooper s fuel flap
cooper s bonnet
JCW carbon bonnet scoop
JCW carbon mirror caps
carbon fibre light rings
facelift headlights
facelift rear lights
tinted windows
dechromed beltline
colour coded boot handle
JCW aero sideskirts
Black roof
GP spoiler
Brake ducts

interior:
JCM corbeau bucket seats
sparco harness'
rear seats removed
JCW carbon dash
JCW carbon gearknob
JCW carbon handbrake
prosport boost and oil pressure gauge
scangauge
JCW shiftlight
glovebox retrofit
battery relocated in boot

Underneath:

Spax RSX coilovers
powerflex bottom arm bushes
AP racing BBK 304mm
SS+ anti roll bars
Powerflex anti roll bar bushes

To do:
rear control arms

wheels+tyres:
Rota boosts 17x7.5
Toyo r888 tyres 205 40 17 for track
215 40 17 paradas for road

·
Administrator
8,497 Posts
Nice!

I would change to a GP IC. The recover is a-lot better on the GP than any of the other Inter-coolers as well as being cheaper :)

We need lots of pics of the build :)

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

I would change to a GP IC. The recover is a-lot better on the GP than any of the other Inter-coolers as well as being cheaper :)

We need lots of pics of the build :)
ohh cool i was hoping to get a second hand GRS for under £300 wasnt planning on new but if a gp one came along when iv got the cash il snap it up :thumbup1:

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Great project Andy - looking forward to watching it unfold

Reactions: mullenmini

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome project will be well worth it once you finish, has you insurance changed much because of this?
yeh it will increase but its cheaper than insuring a cooper s so it should be worth while as im doing the work myself, plus i could of brought a cooper s with 55k that could have a knackered clutch or other problems least i know my car and its taken me about 10mins to seperate the gearbox from the engine and iv found an oil seal gone and the clutch worn, it would took alot more work doing this with the engine in the car :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This sounds great, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Car also looks much better already compared to when you got it :cools:

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You also need the Gearstick and cables, are you leaving the cooper battery at the front ?
yeh iv got gear selector, cables and other bits and peices that arent on that list, i was going to relocate it in the boot didnt think it was possible to fit it under the bonnet on the cooper s? :confused1: :laugh:

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,659 Posts
yeh iv got gear selector, cables and other bits and peices that arent on that list, i was going to relocate it in the boot didnt think it was possible to fit it under the bonnet on the cooper s? :confused1: :laugh:
this is from a man who is thinking about weight over driving wheels for drag car...

will you like to still be a 4 seater?

imho boot for a road car....50/50.well you have start some where .::getcoat::

if budget allows, this is a good time to think about central exit and some diffusers :drool:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Not with the s airbox in place, but Paul dud run battery up front for a good while

·
BRG R53 Cooper S
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
im part stripped out inside anyway so was going for a battery in the boot, also im going to run my cooper milltek for a while just to see how it sounds and to fool some people round my area who dont know about the conversion :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 818 Posts