MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.

In terms of performance sunroof sucks because you not only have 80-100kg extra but you also have them on top of the car so it changes a lot the center of gravity..
However in terms of looks...Looks REALLY good(for me at least).

Its impossible to have both looks and performance so you have to compromise!

I decide before i even buy my R56 JCW that im not going to buy a car with a sunroof as i wanted that look-feeling more than the performance loss.

So practically seems that i have 1 options but im thinking if i have a 2nd

1.Continue with the sunroof as it is (Option1)
2.Delete sunroof ( NOT an option)
3.Replace ONLY the glass with plexiglass (Option 2)

Is this possible? Since i havent heard anyone doing it ,that might not be possible. But i cant figure out why , because it looks pretty simple to me?!!
Remove the glasses cut an identical plexiglass,replace it ...JOB DONE.

The ONLY bad thing (I SEE) that might be a problem and this might be also the reason that none have done it before is for safety reasons...
Sunroofs glass i guess is a safety glass, which when it brakes end up in small pieces and plexi is not!

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
650 Posts
Hello there.

In terms of performance sunroof sucks because you not only have 80-100kg extra but you also have them on top of the car so it changes a lot the center of gravity..
However in terms of looks...Looks REALLY good(for me at least).

Its impossible to have both looks and performance so you have to compromise!

I decide before i even buy my R56 JCW that im not going to buy a car with a sunroof as i wanted that look-feeling more than the performance loss.

So practically seems that i have 1 options but im thinking if i have a 2nd

1.Continue with the sunroof as it is (Option1)
2.Delete sunroof ( NOT an option)
3.Replace ONLY the glass with plexiglass (Option 2)

Is this possible? Since i havent heard anyone doing it ,that might not be possible. But i cant figure out why , because it looks pretty simple to me?!!
Remove the glasses cut an identical plexiglass,replace it ...JOB DONE.

The ONLY bad thing (I SEE) that might be a problem and this might be also the reason that none have done it before is for safety reasons...
Sunroofs glass i guess is a safety glass, which when it brakes end up in small pieces and plexi is not!

Thank you for your time!
I made two carbon plates. Only use them in track ! You cant go plexiglass cause oem glass has a curb and You need to form the panel. Oem Glass is also thick with plastic seal around it. Good luck

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G960F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm i see..
However only the curb looks impossible to be done(with reasonable price).
So plexiglass replacement is OUT.
Thank you mate for helping me out.
You got a message in order to help me out with plates replacement , cause if its easy that seems the only good solution.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
650 Posts
Actually it's about 25kg with the mechanism. But it is still extra weight at the worst possible place...
Jko is right. And to be precise.... glass weighs 12 kilos.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G960F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn!!
I thought that too that the 80-100 was way too much if you think of its volume....However i rem,ember 2-3 people talking for 80-100 so i said to my self.
it is what it is.
With some bolts glasses come out easy and im waiting some carbon covers to have spare for track day or even to see whats the difference of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts