MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hammered my mushroomed struts towers back to as flat as I can get them...O/S is pretty much spot on, N/S still has some very stubborn doming and I don't want to wail on too much because Ive already put a small dent in the Mr.Kipling pie case metal.

What do you guys recommend is the best investment..A tower defender or good quality brace with full coverage of the tower?

I was thinking either the Forge or M7 brace as these have very substantial plates. The other option are the defenders of which their are several, the ECS style and also the sandwich type that have a second plate between the top and underside of the tower..

Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the type of thing i was looking at. It looks very sturdy around the strut towers:
The M7 is easy to dismantle for maintenance as it has a removable centre section:

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
You still have to remove bits to top your coolant up.
They dont increase structural rigidity.
Ultimately depends what you like the look of. Strut brace or OE. Both will do the job of protecting your towers.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have a very similar pair surplus that I didn't fit as I ended up going top mount & strut brace.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I prefer the plates on the tower top. The under plates lift the front. CravenSpeed, VIP, ECS got decent ones.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with the VIP combo because of the small design details in the plates. The recesses for the strut towers are contoured instead of a square machined edge and the plates are full thickness for the bolts. Custom machined t-nuts are provided to reach the studs instead of using extensions and nut, or machining a recess to down into the plate. I had to wet the hood pad several times to get it to compress around the strut bar so the hood wouldn't bulge at the back. If your pad is worn or missing you probably won't have to do this.

The biggest thing I noticed was reduced dash rattling, but the bar is optional and can be added later if the plates have the threaded holes for it.

8D40693D-0347-4EB6-9725-B1615C34A6C2.jpeg

3A203202-D309-4A87-8016-CE20430DB53C.png

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some good options there. The indurators look like good value. I think if they're combined with top mounted defenders (or a brace) then the strut towers should be pretty much indestructible.
most of the braces Ive seen dont appear to impinge access to the coolant, or power steering reservoirs.
The OMP one is adjustable and also pushed the sides of the towers. On it's own, i don't think it would help the strut towers much, but combined with the indurators might be a good option.
i am on stock suspension at the moment, which is already on the high side and I dont want it to look like the car is on stilts...
Coilovers would be nice (y)

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
the OMP braces I think are a bit pointless, all very well having an adjustment point but they're a flimsy part imo, no doubt some will convince themselves the addition makes a difference, save your money, the chances are you'll have less bump damage anyway if you're a more sympathetic owner than the last one, you also might not need them if fitting coilovers later if they're camber adjustable, the top mounts are thicker than stock albeit having cut outs in them, probably having a steel base under alloy sat on the actual smaller circular top mount bolted beneath them, only a thought, certainly appearing stronger than the thin stock pressed items.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts