MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fitting Coilovers this Weekend the car was fine on the way home but then when driving the car today its started knocking from the rear. I've just gone to check bolts haven't come loose and found one of the bolts at the top of the strut where the metal plate connects to the body was loose. I took the bolt out and it looks like the bolt or hole is stripped.

What's the best way to sort this? Where can I go to get a new bolt asap?

I've got some taps at work to try and clean it up but that would involve driving to work. The bolt goes back in and gets tightish but not completely tight. Would it be okay to drive it still or not?

·
Bugger
25,414 Posts
If you've stripped the thread you'll need a helicoil in it.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,710 Posts
Could drill and tap for bigger bolt I suppose

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to get a helicoil in the hole today and torque it all up properly! It's stopped the main noise I was hearing, but when I dropped the Coilover out today I noticed that the top of the strut has been making contact with the body. The Coilovers I have are adjustable at the top so they stick up quite a lot more than the stock ones do.

Am I safe cutting a hole above in the interior to be able to get to the adjustment knob and to also provide a bit of clearance? If so Where's the top of the tower located? What interior trim needs removing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts