MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
So jcw head is best bang for buck?
It really depends on your desires for power. The JCW is a better flowing Head over the stock head. After that, you need to look at ported heads.. Usually they start around 750GBP and up. Cool??

Thumper

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't know how it can be a moot point really. The best heads flow more at high lift.
All the stats I've found seem to measure at 0.4 or 0.45. Your own TPR2 spec quotes a max lift of 0.41 int & 4 exh

Here's what I've found.. I've calculated the %age flow increase over stock from the numbers published to give some comparison..

JCW
Int 3.8% @ 0.4 Exh 4% @ 0.4

MiniMadness
Int 22% @ 0.4 Exh 33% @ 0.4

CNCHeads
Int 14.3% @ 0.45 Exh 36.5% @ 0.45

CHR Racing
Int 25.7% @ 0.45 Exh 34% @ 0.45

Sabre Heads
Int 11.4%, Exh 18%

MiniMania
Int 9% @ 0.4, Exh 25% @ 0.4

Can't find any stats for a Thumper head though. Can you share?

Can anyone please update this with Thumper TPR1/2/2R and RMW's head(I believe there are two)??
Thanks!!

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
Can anyone please update this with Thumper TPR1/2/2R and RMW's head(I believe there are two)??
Thanks!!
Think you'll find Thumper doesn't have any / doesn't share, and rmw don't need to :D

I've had a TPR-3 on the flowbench... (which was his fullest racespec production)
Intake 14% @ 0.5, Exhaust 22% @ 0.45
Thats 78 cfm on the intake (Standard 61cfm) & 121 cfm exhaust (104)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Bump, sorry, was thinking of doing a tpr1 head and a Newman ph2. My thoughts is this would be best value and performance for my needs. I want down low power, I only Street my car, do not live over 6k rpm's. I would love to see some power curve comparisons between the rmw head and any (pref tpr1) thumper head. But I am surly dreaming. Sure I want hp, but I want usable hp or torque. I am pretty sure I got the right cam choice, but head is a bugger investment, any thoughts guys for best head for my application? I am OK with spending more IF the head is just as good down low as the tpr1 is supposed to be. Thoughts?

Right now I have a airtec tmic, Alta 17%, ddm intake, cold plugs, eBay (sorry) catback with high flow magnaflow catalytic converter w/ obx header.

Side note, closest comparison through reading this thread carefully, Jan said his heads exhaust was 188cfm while it's quoted above that the tpr3 was 121cfm on the bench... Flame on, sorry I don't know what this means for MY needs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Youre probably better of starting a new thread to get the info youre looking for….also i dont think it would make sense to have a chart coparing the TPR-1 with RMW's head. The RMW would need to be compared with the TPR-2/TPR-2R

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Side note, closest comparison through reading this thread carefully, Jan said his heads exhaust was 188cfm while it's quoted above that the tpr3 was 121cfm on the bench... Flame on, sorry I don't know what this means for MY needs.
Tested at different water level's

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Tested at different water level's
Thanks Phil, not sure what that means but thanks for that.
So did the different water levels make the RMW head seem to have greater cfm? Maybe I will just start a new thread as suggested above. I am a noob mechanically amd new to mini cooper's, I am trying hard. But that's why I feel it's hard to navigate through certain questions and answers because there are different camps, loyalties, vendors chime in with there biased expertise.... Not always easy to get a straight answer.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Youre probably better of starting a new thread to get the info youre looking for….also i dont think it would make sense to have a chart coparing the TPR-1 with RMW's head. The RMW would need to be compared with the TPR-2/TPR-2R
The start of this thread was for a Head comparison, thought this was a good place, but may start a new one as suggested.
I do understand the RMW head is more of a race head and better to be compared to the tpr2 etc, but are those heads so lacking in down low power that they can't be compared to the tpr1 and they just have great gains say over 5k rpm? If that's the case you have answered my question, that's if the tpr1 truly is the best head for low down power. Jan says his head raises the bar across the whole ban, but of course he is gonna say that, maybe it does, but is the curve better down low for the TPR1 still? Thanks guys

61 - 71 of 71 Posts