MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Cuntousaurus
15,729 Posts
So the suggestion i made is pretty much the best way to do it, what about rockers, is it worth upgrading them too?
Yep, just backing up your point mate. Best cost effective way, however if you want a guaranteed solution and are willing to pay for it then the "off the shelf" options are still good :)

The heads I bought came with new rocks and cam, I did and would want to use new rockers so everything wears in together at the same time. I edited the post, the heads were delivery miles of 3 or so miles :)

Do you 'know a guy'(no homo) to get these. I can never find any at a decent price let alone delivery miles.
Sadly not, otherwise I would be selling more of them on for a cheeky profit (albiet not much) like the one I sent to Jan :)

A new/delivery mile head is easily worth £150 though, they are £1000 from BMW...

·
Farmer boy!
3,846 Posts
Yep, just backing up your point mate. Best cost effective way, however if you want a guaranteed solution and are willing to pay for it then the "off the shelf" options are still good :)

The heads I bought came with new rocks and cam, I did and would want to use new rockers so everything wears in together at the same time. I edited the post, the heads were delivery miles of 3 or so miles :)

Sadly not, otherwise I would be selling more of them on for a cheeky profit (albiet not much) like the one I sent to Jan :)

A new/delivery mile head is easily worth £150 though, they are £1000 from BMW...
See for me having something built bespoke like that makes sense as you then get the exact things you want. You could get the exahust manifold and inlet manifold port matched and everything

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
bad tuning will destroy ANY head...........some of the stuff written here is mind boggling........

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
As I said, on a new head with good oil temp management and a decent tune you should not have this issue of cracking heads.
bingo^^^^

most people won't upgrade their radiators OR put a proper oil cooler on the car

Reactions: Bokers

·
Cuntousaurus
15,729 Posts
bingo^^^^

most people won't upgrade their radiators OR put a proper oil cooler on the car
Sadly I couldn't get hold of an uprated rad in the timescale I needed one, brand new one is always better, do have an oil cooler and running less boost always helps matters. Do you do an R53 rad thats a straight swap for OEM, only ones you can buy "off the shelf" are mishimoto's...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Isn't the flow capability of the thermostat a restriction here and not the rad or is that what your getting at Adam?
Correct , best rad in the world , stock flow = fail
Not often mentioned in car forums unlike the shiny , multi fanned , unobtanium rads with optional shiny header tank with a 20 bar cap on - lol

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
bad tuning will destroy ANY head...........some of the stuff written here is mind boggling........
Jan is right-on!! I would say that 90% of the cylinder head issues are related to detonation and extreme heat. The 5% for the remaining cracked Heads are do to machine work or cutting out too much material. If the crack is where the Port work was done, then blame the Port work (??) if the cracks are in the chambers around the seats it has NOTHING to do with any Port work. Try to keep the degree of the damage to what was worked on the Head.

I have refused over 20 Used Heads over the years for the chamber cracks!! IF the cracks are NOT there now.. it is impossible to say they never will appear. ( refer back to Jans comment..Tune/application) This IS a flaw in using an alloy head !! There are a LOT of examples of the Aluminum being melted away in the chambers over long periods of time when using BOOST or Nitrous.

As for the "take OFF Head/JCW upgrade " .. I just bought two off the Ebay.co.UK last week!! Less than a 100 quid !! So they are out there !!

CRACKED CHAMBERS..

Just me.................................

Thumper

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Sadly I couldn't get hold of an uprated rad in the timescale I needed one, brand new one is always better, do have an oil cooler and running less boost always helps matters. Do you do an R53 rad thats a straight swap for OEM, only ones you can buy "off the shelf" are mishimoto's...
yes
we have run them for years in street and race cars

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Is there a full list of your products up on the web in another site than yours as I can't find them anywhere.
You've clearly got some gems we'd all be after if you list them up. Group buy style too I woud bet...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Isn't the flow capability of the thermostat a restriction here and not the rad or is that what your getting at Adam?
"That is, for a given heat load and coolant flow rate, the coolant temperature drop through the radiator will be constant, and nothing anyone can do to the design of the radiator can change that. Adding rows or fins or face area or whatever will not change the temperature drop through the radiator."

This is a most important statement ,think about it .....

41 - 60 of 71 Posts