MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a week ago finished swapping the engine in my r53 all seems to go ok until the end and I have 2 issues

Issue 1 is I can not get the drive belt back on it seems just to small i have checked it a hundred time it is going the correct route and it is and that the tensioner is pulled up and locked on the second hole. I have even got a new belt just incase something had happened to the old one when it was off but still the same. Can anyone think of anything that may causes this to happen.

Issue 2 and the one I have been working on for the last week is it will not try and start. I turn the key all the lights come on and off then turn it to start and nothing happens I can here one very quiet click of what sounds like a relay and then I can here it again when I let go of the key. I have checked the wires to the starter they are all right and in correct location, I have charged the battery fully and am getting 12.6 and it drops to 11.9 when I turn the key. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the ignition switch and also the battery negatively wire both ends and the same to the eath wire on the engine mount to body. One thing I have noticed is the car is not binging if I open the door with the key in but I cannot remember if they do that. I am looking at a new starter motor but just wondered if anyone has an idea for anything else to do before I do.

Thanks

Alex

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
The belt idler actually goes into the upper of the two holes that are close together, the opposite one that it shows in the Haynes manual and most other manuals I've seen!

Have you got both earth straps connected? One on the engine mount and one near the gearbox mount.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Took this before taking my belt off previously (tensioner was already locked hence the slack).

Might help you with pulley location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the battery, voltage is only a vague measure of health. It's the starter's ability to deliver amps that will start the car. A known to be good battery with 12v will be dead for starting & at 12.6 may still be knackered. Connect a new battery or jump off a running car & go from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies that solved by issue with the belt I had the idler in the wrong hole swapped them around and the belt went straight on. I have just tried to start the car and check the voltage to the solenoid and it goes from 0 to 12.4 volts so I take it looks like it can be the starter motor needs replacing or can it be something else. Thanks I don't think I whould be this far with out all your help.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
Have you got your starter wired up correctly? From memory there's the main power and two other smaller screw post connectors. Those two could be back to front

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well there is some good new on this I have worked out the issue to be the nut from the solenoid to the motor wire was not tight enough. I tightened it up and it started to crank the engine envery time I tried so I had the engine management relay out and cranked it a few times and the oil presser light went out which is grate. So I put the engine relay back in and tried to start it now it is just cranking the engine but not starting so I put check if there where any codes showing and I have p1692 showing I clear it but it just comes strate back. The research I have done is showing it may be a battery issue or a throttle body issue so look like I need to order a replacment throttle body as the battery is fully charged and cranking fine is there anything else anyone can think of as I really want to get this car running soon.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
Make sure your throttle body plug is fully on. It's a double click and slides on a lot further than you might expect. Also it might be worth giving this throttle body adaption reset a try
1. Please make sure the ignition is Turned Off

2. Press the Gas Pedal to Full Throttle (while ignition is off).

3. Turn on the Ignition to the 3rd position for 30 seconds (Do Not Crank the Vehicle) (Do Not let go of the Throttle)

4. After 30 seconds are over, Turn Ignition Off and Remove Key (Do Not let go of the Throttle).

5. After Key is Removed, let go of the Throttle and wait 30 seconds.

6. After 30 Seconds, the Car can now be Started normally.

(Robbed off the net so not guaranteed to do anything)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts