MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as nobody really wants to touch a big turbo tune in the UK, all the Motorsport tuners ive come across in the UK who look like they know what they're doing are all standalone tuners only.

So it begs the question, what standalone software do I go with at the lowest price?

Nick K doesn't reply to messages so although he was my first choice I can't do much to make him answer. (I know he works at Peron)

1320 haven't responded to my email Monday so that's an unknown. I know they're known for the R53 maps but I was told Tom can tune the R56.

Road Rage Performance could do it, although without mini big turbo experience, they also don't do MAF delete they suggested a bigger MAF.

RPM won't sell me their big turbo file unless I spend lots of money on R300/R400 parts.

Other tuners I've come across only go up to stage 2/3 files but not larger turbos like the Garrett.

*Two companies I know who do do them I've discounted for other reasons.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a rant, I mean it is 馃槀 I'm just frustrated at the lack of possible tuners for what I've now built. So back to the question, what's my entry level stand alone software I can buy and then have tuned more easily elsewhere?

Registered
JCW N18
Seeing as nobody really wants to touch a big turbo tune in the UK, all the Motorsport tuners ive come across in the UK who look like they know what they're doing are all standalone tuners only.

So it begs the question, what standalone software do I go with at the lowest price?
So..eveyone want a clean page rather than rewrite and fix/adapt on the previous writings that why tuners that seems to know what they are doing say..STANDALONE.
Consider that tuneres with standalone setups ask X amount for the FULL setup. What i mean....Some guys prefare Y1 brand some others Y2 so others Y3 and eveyone choose his setup according his knowledgeof those ECUs and in general. So if you going to setup it with a standalone then your TUNER and tuner ONLY should give you the "recipe" for what you have to buy.

If you are not going to make EXTREME mods or you going FULL race car, standalone is just a waste of time and money. By extreme i mean that you will hit 450++ ps.

Sussexmotorsports is a workshop in UK that i would ask for map.

RPM doesnt sell you the map except if you buy their turbos?
R300 is not a big turbo though. I have R300(havent fitted it yet)

It would be better if you tell us what are you planning for the car..
HP goal?
Usage?
Budget?

Personally i would avoid it as much as i can to switch my ECU.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So..eveyone want a clean page rather than rewrite and fix/adapt on the previous writings that why tuners that seems to know what they are doing say..STANDALONE.
Consider that tuneres with standalone setups ask X amount for the FULL setup. What i mean....Some guys prefare Y1 brand some others Y2 so others Y3 and eveyone choose his setup according his knowledgeof those ECUs and in general. So if you going to setup it with a standalone then your TUNER and tuner ONLY should give you the "recipe" for what you have to buy.

If you are not going to make EXTREME mods or you going FULL race car, standalone is just a waste of time and money. By extreme i mean that you will hit 450++ ps.

Sussexmotorsports is a workshop in UK that i would ask for map.

RPM doesnt sell you the map except if you buy their turbos?
R300 is not a big turbo though. I have R300(havent fitted it yet)

It would be better if you tell us what are you planning for the car..
HP goal?
Usage?
Budget?

Personally i would avoid it as much as i can to switch my ECU.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

So I think the main reason companies / tuners are saying standalone is that when I tell them the spec anything above stage 2 most aren't willing to even look at mapping the car. Those that are say it's standalone only for them, which is fine but I'm asking what standalone ECUs are out there for the R56 N14.

Everyone knows about SCS Delta, but other than that I haven't heard much. Fueltech? Ecumaster? MaxxEcu? I've contacted all companies and am awaiting a reply.

I'd like to be in the position to find a tuner and they say "X" ECU will work with your car and we can tune that but so far that hasn't happened.

What do you class as extreme mods? Below is my engine spec and setup. It's a daily driver but built to be a track car / race car in the future. I don't want to redo this so it needs longevity in it and to be tunable potentially once more.

Supertech 77.5mm Forged Pistons 10:1
Supertech Piston Ring Set 77.5mm
Supertech Forged Conrods
Mahle Motorsport Big End Bearing Set
Mahle Motorsport Main Bearing Set
ARP Headstud Kit
ARP Main stud kit
Supertech Inconel Exhaust Valves
Supertech Inlet Valves
Supertech Intake Valve guides Bronze
Supertech Collets
JCW Headgasket
Ported and polished head
Titanium Beehive Valve Springs
Snow Performance Stage 2.5 water meth
Speedtech Motorsports Direct Port Meth injection kit
Custom ICI pipe + 5th nozel meth spray
GMC Italy custom manifold
Deutschtech Custom 3" downpipe and cat back exhaust
Garrett GTX2860r turbo
Airtec Intercooler
Custom K&N Air intake
RPM velocity stack maf connector
NGK 1422 Plugs

Sussex Motorsports... Do you mean sussex road and race? If so they don't map cars themselves.

RPM are tight fisted snobs. I had a ton of respect for them, but now they're just about making money. I spent $1000 on their stage 3 and now they won't give me a big turbo file unless I buy their R300/R400 turbo. Mario Palza said he would do it and then RPM old him no when he said it was for a big turbo. Same with another tuner I forget the name of. Nobody really wants to tune this car.

There is no budget as such, it is what it is. If I can afford it I'll do it. But right now it's not setup properly, it's never been WOT since it was built because the stage 3 map won't run it correctly. So I'm all about doing whatever it takes to get it correctly set up so I can use it as intended, to drive it quickly and track it.

Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
I was talking to 1320 about the SCS and they didn't rave about it on the N14, iirc they first ran Old Red on it way back, on the 14 it doesn't do what they would want from it,

I imagine you'd end up looking at a wire in option so Link or ECU Master, there is an ECU Master fb group, ignore the Mini one, just go to the main, perhaps ask there for suggestion/advice? Or speak to Clint Gaskin again about wire in options and whether it'd compromise the car in any way maybe? There aren't any PnP options otherwise are there?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was talking to 1320 about the SCS and they didn't rave about it on the N14, iirc they first ran Old Red on it way back, on the 14 it doesn't do what they would want from it,

I imagine you'd end up looking at a wire in option so Link or ECU Master, there is an ECU Master fb group, ignore the Mini one, just go to the main, perhaps ask there for suggestion/advice? Or speak to Clint Gaskin again about wire in options and whether it'd compromise the car in any way maybe? There aren't any PnP options otherwise are there?
Yeah that's essentially what I heard about the SCS, it doesn't do all the functions you'd want and compared to other standalone ECUs is a bit lacking. Not saying it's not better than a stock ECU once tuned, it's just the 拢2k costs and if it's not the best then kinda seems a bit redundant.

I emailed link directly and they said they didn't have one for the R56. I haven't heard back from ECUMaster yet.

Clint is hard to pin down, but I did email in this morning. This is their reply.

"The hardware would be 拢1750 + VAT
If its a straight install and no extras 拢900"

I have asked what ECU that is, plug n play or wired, Dyno tune or road tested. (I know he does a lot of road testing and tuning on ECU's). So with those prices were really looking at 拢3k. 馃槵馃う鈥嶁檪锔

That's a lot of money.

Alternatively GPGarageItaly have apparently said they would remote tune it. They tuned "andre_r56_s" off Instagram. Similar spec car bit with cams, same manifold but a smaller diameter exhaust making 340bhp and 405nm I think. He was the guy who got in touch for me.

Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
Link won't do a PnP but their wire in options will have something to suit I expect, probably what the email refers to, I think ECU Master also have a wire in harness option

wonder who maps ThePenL's car on here, worth asking, he may have already said, just thinking out loud....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Link won't do a PnP but their wire in options will have something to suit AI expect, probably what the email refers to, I think ECU Master also have a wire in harness option

wonder who maps ThePenL's car on here, worth asking, he may have already said, just thinking out loud....
Ill try and get in touch with ECU Master again and see what model of ecu they would recommend. I just heard back from BHP, its SCS Delta, and no dyno tuning is included that's extra :oops:

Did i read he was going to be on a stock ecu util it was run in or am i making that up?

Premium Member
Have you spoken to Jez from Horsham Developments? He's one of the most knowledgeable tuners I've come across. He's done some insane builds in his time, there isn't much he hasn't tuned and he knows standalone ECUs inside out.

They also run the engine management academy so they can teach you how to do it yourself if you're interested enough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going with an SCS Delta GDi4. Tuner will be TRACK 'n' ROAD and TAT Rolling Road / TAT Chassis Dyno

Its a massive chunk of money I never wanted to spend, but I feel slightly relieved to be honest knowing I can finish the car off and have a fully working car, and get on with my life and enjoying the car.

They're very experienced in SCS and know them well, and the first talk I had with them I felt at ease with his knowledge and that they tune to the car and not to chase numbers. Whatever it will be it will be.

2-3 weeks lead time for the ECU to be made up and then mapping shortly after. They're also only about 30-40 minutes from me which is a big help.

Registered
Going with an SCS Delta GDi4. Tuner will be TRACK 'n' ROAD and TAT Rolling Road / TAT Chassis Dyno

Its a massive chunk of money I never wanted to spend, but I feel slightly relieved to be honest knowing I can finish the car off and have a fully working car, and get on with my life and enjoying the car.

They're very experienced in SCS and know them well, and the first talk I had with them I felt at ease with his knowledge and that they tune to the car and not to chase numbers. Whatever it will be it will be.

2-3 weeks lead time for the ECU to be made up and then mapping shortly after. They're also only about 30-40 minutes from me which is a big help.
Surprisingly when I searched for tuning companies tuning beyond stage 3 was very limited, this was the reason I went with SCS as I found more tuners tuning the standalone SCS than the OE ECU.

Hope it all works out for you finally and you get the dyno figures your build deserve (y).

Post your results and your reactions to the SCS, as myself and I'm sure many other forum members would like to know.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Surprisingly when I searched for tuning companies tuning beyond stage 3 was very limited, this was the reason I went with SCS as I found more tuners tuning the standalone SCS than the OE ECU.

Hope it all works out for you finally and you get the dyno figures your build deserve (y).

Post your results and your reactions to the SCS, as myself and I'm sure many other forum members would like to know.
Yeah that's exactly how I've found it. And within that I discounted some people from other tuned mini owners experiences so after all that there is next to nobody.

On the flip side there are a lot more tuning companies that work on modified cars, Motorsport cars and have the kind of knowledge and experience in tuning that you'd like. So although its cost an arm and a leg, I'm confident it will be for the best In the end.

Appreciate the kind words, it's been a hell of a journey. Will be taking plenty of pics, footage and of course the results whatever they end up being.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a reply from 1320 a day or so ago replying to my enquiry about tuning. Just the 5.5 weeks after I emailed them. "Just catching up on emails".

Not a great way to run a business.

Anyway SCS is almost built now and should be with me in a week or so. Then it's on for mapping. Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts