MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I posted previously about my r53 Cooper S occasionally stalling at junctions but for the past few months it hasn’t happened but last week it started stalling again, the weird thing is it only happens on my way to work early mornings, I thought it may be temperature related so replaced the tmap sensor (genuine BMW) but this morning it stalled again grrr !
Strange that it never stalls on my way home (around 3.30pm) other than idling unevenly for a short time occasionally but I think this is common with the r53s.
Engine is standard serviced regularly with new plugs fitted a few months back.
The stalling seems worse slowing suddenly from say 50mph whereas if slowing down gradually it idles ok.
No codes stored or pending.
Any ideas guys ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel filter?
I did think maybe the filter but thought if there was any obstruction in the filter it would affect performance more in the higher rev range where There would be more of a demand for fuel but worth noting, plus it only happens occasionally,weird.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
first thing that comes to mind is an air leak

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Throttle positon sensor A.K.A throttlebody might start to come end of it's life

Lähetetty minun F8331 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum/air leak. Check all of your hoses, but particularly the one going to the air box: it can look fine superficially but perish inbetween the ribs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I’ll have a close look at the air/vacuum hoses, the air box hose I changed to a silicon one but if it was an air leak wouldn’t the problem be there all the time ? 95% of the time it runs sweet it’s just the odd time it catches me out :cursing:
I was tempted to replace the throttle body, but not sure what the unit actually does other than supply a regulated amount of air to the supercharger, is there a connection to the ecu which would affect the idle speed ?
Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
air leaks can reduce as temp rises and causes expansion hence why when cold, the car that needs more fuel to run smoothly doesn't want additional unmetered air or it might lean off and hesitate or stall etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts