MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up some nice stainless flange bolts with the intention of replacing my badly rusted rocker cover bolts, then I happened to read that stainless bolts into aluminium is a bad idea due to galvanic corrosion. Research seems to suggest that zinc-plated steel would be a safer bet, though obviously they risk going the same way as my original bolts.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Has anyone had issues with stainless bolts? :confused1:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I replaced mine a year or so back on the R56 and have no problems yet. Not sure about long term problems.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
no, other than I think there's a kit or two knocking about, post pics of what you found?

stock for me are fine, especially if the options aren't a socket fitting

·
Premium Member
9,923 Posts
I did a few if mine with the black bolts and they are manky already. Galvanic corrosion happens all over the car already I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the end of the day we are only talking about a bit of fluff on the threads

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The aluminium will be sacrificial to the stainless but at the end of the day it is only a small surface area and you won’t really have any conductive liquid (maybe a bit of oil) that will speed along the corrosion.

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, other than I think there's a kit or two knocking about, post pics of what you found?

stock for me are fine, especially if the options aren't a socket fitting
These are the fellas: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/150935671186

Though thinking I maybe should’ve gone for A4 grade. Plan is to knock the bolts out of my existing hardware and re-use with these bolts. For the long ones, planning to use a long stud and a flanged nut - could perhaps threadlock the nut in place to make a “bolt”, but not sure if that would gain me anything.

·
Premium Member
9,923 Posts
Knocking the bolts out of the existing hardware is definitely the way forward. I quite like the idea of aluminium ones. A but of copper slip on the threads and youd be golden. It's not like there's any benefit to trying to over torque them as all you'll do is strip the threads

·
That's you, that is.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trouble with putting like metals together is (I believe) the risk of galling. Plus, with aluminium being much softer than steel, you’re running a much greater risk of shearing the head off the bolt if it does bind. Having said that, much easier to drill out, too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts