MiniTorque.com banner

441 - 460 of 602 Posts

·
Bugger
25,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
ive figured all this out now, its quite simple really (and i mean all of it), i will leave the rest of you to sit and think

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
So enough of the sales pitch, I’m sure all you’re really interested in is the results, so far as previously mentioned we fitted one to Old Red with the following mods,13.20% pulley, Newman Cam, Janspeed manifold, OEM cat, GP Intercooler, JCW air filter box, Borla Cooper Cat back, here is a comparison of with a oem ecu tune and 330cc injectors V 1320 PNP ECU

View attachment 7648

The other vehicle we have fitted one to is Richard O Dwyer turbocharged Cooper S, here’s the dyno sheet comparing its low boost setting V its high boost setting.

View attachment 7649

I must admit that the most impressive part of Richards car now is its driveability, Its so OEM apart from the various noises . With it switched on to low boost it seems more controllable and manageable iBoth vehicles made 1-2% more power than they did with their previous Bytetroniks 1320 tune, however this does not tell the whole story, throttle response and driveability is much improved and just as importantly the control we have over the engine package and the extra features we now have to play with means we can extract more performance, with more reliability on very none standard engines than is possible with the stock ECU

The first 10 kits will be able mid Jan 2011 , So now to the worst bit of all, the price;

1320 PNP EC2 £1279 plus VAT
Fitting £100 plus vat
Dyno time £60 plus vat an hour
Right so this goes back to the whole $$$ per bhp that Mike mentioned... so the ECU at £1,634 (verus a £500 mynes tune) won't make you any more power by simply swapping it over as the first graph above shows, BUT it will make the car feel more OEM if you have a turbo conversion. So as you've put above, this is really only for very non standard engines which makes sense.

Its obviously just me that's getting confused with the whole R53 tuning thing now, probably not helped by not having one for ages, because origianlly it was:

Janspeed and RMW heads and newman cams and dimsport tune and 440's to make power (think it 239whp was back then being the highest)... then Thumper heads were better... then ABF heads were better, then Mynes manifolds rather than janspeed then 1320 manifold rather than mynes, then megamini cam rather than newman cam... then mynes tune over dimsport... then 550's over 440's... then turbo over supercharged and we ended up at circa 350whp with Richards car and now its sprintex over m45 because purely on $$ per whp/bhp its now the best option.

But this is where I'm confused because doing the maths (which might be wrong) the turbo conversion still gives you the biggest bhp per $$$ (taking NOS out the equation of course).

However to ensure newbies and oldies alike can now see the wood from the trees and understand EXACTLY what is open to them and their R53 right now, Paul, could you detail exactly what parts/manufacturers you would use (if NOS was out the equation) to break the famous 300bhp in the most cost effective way possible and then the 350bhp barrier with everything that's available to you right now?

Also, Jan, Mike et al, could you all do the same... no budget, I come to you tomorrow with an open wallet and two R53's. In one engine bay I want the most cost effective way (excluding NOS) to get to 300bhp and the other engine bay 350bhp please.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Part 1
Jan/Ian - Please can you post up your sprintex graph/graphs?

Mike - Please can you post the start temps for both the M45 and Sprintex?
I have provide more than enough data and info. No matter what more data i post, its never going to be enough... Let get 'the man' to post up his data first.

This is Sprintex Charger and we were selected to perform the install and testing b/c we have the proper tools to document the entire testing procedure. We tested two kits on two different cars and both were great. As a matter of fact, both MINIs are daily driven each day and get about 50 miles of street time per car. It's a great kit and that's why we are recommending it to the public.

FYI, we have the Bytetronik data logger to log based on a RPM trigger or when the Pedal angle is at 100% - which means when logging on the dyno, all the runs will start logging roughly at 2000rpm; this is done so it's easier for us to compare the data points on the DataViewer software.

So the 'starting' IAT for the M45 is always going to be hotter b/c it's a hotter SC (base on ALL of our testing and logging).

Part 2 -
So you're looking to sell a circa 250whp, 300whp and 350whp conversion i.e. M45 then Sprintex then Turbo?
That would be my recommendation :thumbup1:

Part 3 -
1320 ECU versus a STOCK ECU with Mynes tune!!!

The question was what's the difference between going from one to the other!
Ben, if that's what you meant to say then that's how it should be written; otherwise the newbies might get 'misinformed' and that's how rumors get started. Paul will have to provide the answer on this one, not us...

For the record, the ecu is only "Mynes Tuned" when it's physically tuned by us. For cars in the UK, it's 1320 Tuned by Bytetronik. For Greece, it's GP Racing Tuned by Byteronik; in Japan, it's Trust/Greddy Tuned by Bytetronik, and here in the USA, it's Mynes Tuned by Bytetronik :thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ben, there is 'not a Mynes cam'... there is, however, a MegaMINI cam ;)

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Ben, there is 'not a Mynes cam'... there is, however, a MegaMINI cam ;)
Apologies, megamini cam... so to stop the confusions over ABF, ABF Tech, Mynes, Megamini, ByteTronic, can you explain what does what...

Shame everyone outside the US will have to change their "Mynes Tuned... Is Yours?" :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Apologies, megamini cam... so to stop the confusions over ABF, ABF Tech, Mynes, Megamini, ByteTronic, can you explain what does what...

Shame everyone outside the US will have to change their "Mynes Tuned... Is Yours?" :lol:
ABF Performance (ABF Performance LLC) and ABF Tech Divsion (http://www.abftechdivision.com/)

Bytetronik develops softwares and Mynes does the tuning. And MegaMINI is a product line of Hubie's.

Reactions: frickinben

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,687 Posts
ive figured all this out now, its quite simple really (and i mean all of it), i will leave the rest of you to sit and think
you may need to use a graph old bean......

and a second one for for bhp v's £

·
Bugger
25,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
you may need to use a graph old bean......

and a second one for for bhp v's £
its a simple equation of: likelyhood of truth (LoT) divided buy number of mini tuners (NoMT) and probability of bullshit (PoB)

in this case its: Fuck all / 3 + 100% = the simple summary is there all talking utter shite and actually have no idea.

why is it pretty much every other make of cars tuners can make this stuff work = they know what there doing, i dont think 1320, mynes, ABF, megamini, tech divies, RMW. none of them actually have a clue what there doing imo some of them lucked out along the way but in reality the mini tuners are all useless

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,687 Posts
its a simple equation of: likelyhood of truth (LoT) divided buy number of mini tuners (NoMT) and probability of bullshit (PoB)

in this case its: Fuck all / 3 + 100% = the simple summary is there all talking utter shite and actually have no idea.

why is it pretty much every other make of cars tuners can make this stuff work = they know what there doing, i dont think 1320, mynes, ABF, megamini, tech divies, RMW. none of them actually have a clue what there doing imo some of them lucked out along the way but in reality the mini tuners are all useless
well i think there might now be a gap in the market for a canny scotsman...:thumbup:

·
Bugger
25,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
some say hes part scottish, some say he turned down kate for being to middle class, all we know is hes a posh loonatic

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,687 Posts
some say hes part scottish, some say he turned down kate for being to middle class, all we know is hes a posh loonatic
would that be the the same as "too" middle class

even us uneducated proles have standards as well

·
Bugger
25,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
lack of decent inbreading in the family line, i can trace mine back to 1010 when we came over and conqured the country :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
George.. the Newman cam installed 1 tooth off will flat ass kill your topend.. The Newman cam needs to be install straight up ( no advance or retard) as it is cut 'advanced' already..

Dman , back a few years ago, tried to advance the Newman in the land of Oz, when I was working with changing cam phase on the OEM camshaft.. he said they lost a lot of power, set the cam back to 0 and it rocks. This was a while ago...

Email me if there is an issue with this.. as with this SC thread, it seens to go side ways pretty easily!! LOL

Just me.......................................

Thumper
Mike do not worry on this.. he is posting an email send almost a year ago.. when i first received the tpr1 and had the issues which we talked later on.. after the "fixing" my boost issue as we talked everything is perfect with tpr1 :)
you know how satisfied i am on that..(and from your help in any case needed) else i would not have placed the tpr2 order ;) (am eagerly waiting on that! :D )

it's just that some people have their reason to try to change the subject in conversation.. which is sprintex!.. and they use any method! looool

·
Registered
793 Posts
Once upon a time there was a supercharger in this thread :lol:
You noticed? :lol:

It seems that "tribal wisdom" trumps physics in some of the reasoning even with self proclaimed professionals. Most Internet advice and information is sought in poll format where each person feels compelled to contribute regardless of experience or expertise or to follow ones "hero" and the winning solution is declared based on the number of votes in favor the *"hero" and what he/she claims rather than solid scientific reasoning and physical facts.

·
aka Big Daddy
1,863 Posts
George.. the Newman cam installed 1 tooth off will flat ass kill your topend.. The Newman cam needs to be install straight up ( no advance or retard) as it is cut 'advanced' already..

Dman , back a few years ago, tried to advance the Newman in the land of Oz, when I was working with changing cam phase on the OEM camshaft.. he said they lost a lot of power, set the cam back to 0 and it rocks. This was a while ago...
Correct I lost a load of power when playing around with changing the cam phase on a Newman cam.

Thumper - 1 , RMW - 0

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
No fucking shit Sherlock, I still want to see the data so I can understand how it builds hear across the rev range to see how much better it deals with the heat than the eaton!

It's a supercharger swap, plain and simple, if it wasn't better than the eaton there would be no point doing it. My question before spending out on one would be total install costs vs results compared to adding a turbo to go twincharge or turbo standalone etc. At some point the £ per bhp ratio will have to come in to play. £2k+ to get 200whp when you can get the same with Dave.f, 15% pulley and GP ic is not value for money but as yet right now no one involved with it has said what bracket power/application its pitched at.

In time it could turn out to be the first mod recommend to do to a Cooper S, but until its tested we don't yet know where it will fit in to the tuning scene as we've got one tuner saying its junk on track with a smaller pulley but fine as a street application. The other has shown the gains so far on the dyno vs a stock 15% Mini.

I remember one of the most respected mini tuners in the world saying "why are you still messing about trying to find little gains here and there with superchargers, just turbo it already!"
Well Holmes , if you really want to understand rev range and heat you start from the compressor map ,as you do with any air provider and compressor , from there you now cross check against the compressor map that all is within limits , and measure the intake vacuum and things like belt slippage .
IAT is then obtained on the road not dyno as time on load is a major factor and holding a car on high load for a long time without natural airflow can lead to engine failure at worst and skewed numbers at best .
It all starts with the compressor map if you do not fall in map then you find out why ,if it does fall within map ,then QED
The dogshit intake due OEM installation would be altered if you were seeking perfection ,I would seek perfection and water inject too,instal times have been quoted and pictures provided and as most people can see it less work than a clutch change .
where is the bang for buck in the clutch change or diff change ?

"It's a supercharger swap, plain and simple"

Track /drag /street ? Drive up a fuck off 5 mile hill on full chat and tell me that a drag or track car sees a greater stress on the charger or IATs
The compressor map will show you what happens at elevated rpms (track) and an ever increasing benefit with the 2screw against the eaton - then compare the PR pressure ratios and efficiency as you punch it up higher and higher PR s

·
CHECKMATE
222 Posts
As for first dib's on the Sprintex, I have been waiting for 1320, to fit one to my car since the start of the year.
They wanted to test the product thoroughly first, on their own car, even though I offered my car.
We could have a group buy and reduce the cost.

·
MINI!
3,160 Posts
Cant be bothered to read allllll this thread. Was an IAT graph or comparison with like for like peak MAP pressure? Thats all that would matter to me. I want to know if it runs cooler and how much and if it requires less torque to drive the SC so more usable power with same pressure/volume.

441 - 460 of 602 Posts