MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I started my cooper s this morning and it decided the spit plug 1 out the head:thumbup: so looks like I'll be needing a new one. If I got a jcw head would it bolt straight on or will I need injector ECt. Also I no I'll need a new head gasket , but is there any other parts I am goin to need cheers

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,652 Posts
Is the thread definitely stripped? It's a straight swap but you'll need new head bolts as well as a gasket
Edit. I've missed shitloads of bits out, my bad

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You could have just used a helicoil to be fair and re threaded the block

You will need oil, oil filter and coolant, new head gasket and rocker gasket, thermostat housing gasket (may be worth just getting the whole assembly for the cost), new head bolts, the two rubber o-rings that go around the bolts that cover the chain guide bolts on the side of the head, exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets and maybe a new washer for you Chain tensioner bolt and probably a few other things

Have a look on lohen and 1320 think they both do kits so you can check you have ordered everything you need

Edit: here's the link to lohen's kit

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes deffo stripped the plug just keeps turning when I tried to put it back in. I've been told about. Helicoil. Will this hold up and do the job. What sort of price would it be

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only just seen your reply mate. What sort of price would I be looking to get it re threaded , and will it be a good strong fix. Is it a job a mechanic can do

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yes deffo stripped the plug just keeps turning when I tried to put it back in. I've been told about. Helicoil. Will this hold up and do the job. What sort of price would it be
Held out on my mates evo and the guy that has it now is pushing 600hp out of it, don't think a garage would charge much for fitting one to be fair, it doesn't take long to thread the block screw the thing in and then re-fit the plug and lead

If you know someone that has a kit then even better, has to be better than changing the whole head over as the gasket kit alone is £200 without the time doing it

·
Josh
1,003 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I did a lot of research and in the end I took the head off and got a helicoil then fitted it back together (ideal time to fit a cam and injectors ;))

·
special
114 Posts
This happened to me the other day, I was able to just wind it back in and it's been fine ever since. Some times they can just rattle loose and eventually pop out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using bcr8es Ngk plugs. I got them with my 15% pulley. Does any body know of a mobile company that could come and do it with out removing the head. It's not something I'd want to do incase I drill my piston or something stupid. Anybody got a rough ideo on cost. I've searched google but not found a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
The best way is to remove the head... Dealers and some shops will do it on the car. I would not short cut here, if it isn't done correct, then you wasted some bucks trying to short cut. Yes??

Remove and bolt on that JCW. get ahold of 1320 and get the gaskets needed.. and you are rocking.

Just me...............

Thumper

PS: the thread strip and 'plug pop' is do to NOT checking the tightness of the plugs, they loosen, they rattle and they pull the threads out. OR... The chambers crack into the spark plug threads and this causes the issue. IF the chambers are cracked, there is no way to 'just install a helicoil".. cool??
Tpr

Reactions: craig_mcs

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd love to buy a jcw head and get that fitted but it's gonna be a 500/600 quid job easy if not more. A few months ago I would of properly done this , but now I'm getting into mx I'm loosing interest with the car. Think I'm gonna just find some one who can install a helicoil.

·
"When in doubt, All out!"
598 Posts
This is the proper repair its called a time-sert it will be better then heli-coil. Use them a lot on road race engines and street engines never fail so I know they will do just fine. Also when putting plugs in torque to 22 ft lbs and for 2 heat cycles check and if necessary retorque.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,652 Posts
I've never heard about rechecking after heat cycles, interesting. I was shitting when I put my plugs in knowing how lightly they need doing up, they're probably loose now

·
"When in doubt, All out!"
598 Posts
Expanding and contracting of the dissimilar materials....aluminum and steel. You will be shocked when you heat cycle in combination with vibration a new set of plugs and the torque wrench clicks during check/retorque.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,652 Posts
The squish washers on new plugs don't help my nervousness. I think I'll pop out and buy a low range torque wrench tomorrow

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't need to remove the head to fit a heli-coil. I didn't. I used a decent hoover and plenty of grease to get the swarf out of the head, along with a lot of brake cleaner. You don't need to drill the head either, simply go up a stage in size which is doable with the £30 kit I bought. Cover the tap with loads of grease to make the swarf adhere to it. I fitted one to my 03 jcw after it blew out the spark plug. Not had any problems with it at all! Just use the cutting tool very gingerly and cover it with grease. Then use a hoover with a smaller hose to suck anything that was dropped into the piston. Then use the tap to put threads in and also use loads of grease and go gently with it. Then give it a very good clean with some brake cleaner and you'll be good to fit the coil along with the spark plug. Happy days

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
You don't need to remove the head to fit a heli-coil. I didn't. I used a decent hoover and plenty of grease to get the swarf out of the head, along with a lot of brake cleaner. You don't need to drill the head either, simply go up a stage in size which is doable with the £30 kit I bought. Cover the tap with loads of grease to make the swarf adhere to it. I fitted one to my 03 jcw after it blew out the spark plug. Not had any problems with it at all! Just use the cutting tool very gingerly and cover it with grease. Then use a hoover with a smaller hose to suck anything that was dropped into the piston. Then use the tap to put threads in and also use loads of grease and go gently with it. Then give it a very good clean with some brake cleaner and you'll be good to fit the coil along with the spark plug. Happy days
Good advice, only 6 years late. ;)

(That's basically how it was done on mine at a garage about 4 years ago, still holding strong)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts