MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've got a Milltek non-res cat-back. It's definitely an upgrade from stock, but I'm not really satisfied. It's loud externally, but quiet inside the cabin. Also quite high pitched.

I'm not fussed about the external sound and I'm not fussed about pops. My priorities are:
1) Low pitch
2) Good resonance *inside* the cabin.

I know to an extent, cars sound as they sound. But I was recently passed by a mini with an exhaust note that gave me an erection. Much lower pitched and bassy, but not too much louder. So I know it's possible.

I was wondering whether a Janspeed manifold would help - although I get the feeling it's not the solution. If not, maybe decat + adding a Milltek resonator?

Has anyone got advice? I'm pretty stumped

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know when I went had my Res removed now after installing the header the pitch is much higher.. So maybe a cheap option is get the guys to install a resonator first and hear the difference. Mine went higher pitch without res and cat

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's loud externally, but quiet inside the cabin. Also quite high pitched.
It's quiet inside the cabin ?!
I really need to get a clip of mine. Standard header and cat, with non res milltek, and it's LOUD, it's really LOUD inside the cabin and a bit less outside.
When I rev from 3000 to past 4000 it's so loud I think I'll need to get my ears check as I'm slowly turning deaf.
I'll try to record something when getting back from work.
I've ordered a full set of new rubber exhaust thing to see if I can get that resonance sorted. And if it doesn't I'm gonna get a res section.

But maybe yours will get louder when aging, mine is 3 years old. And it's a R52 one, but that doesn't change anything tho..

·
Registered
315 Posts
My non res milly isnt too loud either you can hear it above 3k for sure. You know its there but it isnt uncomfortable

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My non res milly isnt too loud either you can hear it above 3k for sure. You know its there but it isnt uncomfortable
Yeah, mine matches the Milltek video posted earlier. I have to work the car to 3-4K for decent inside-cabin sound. Decat seems OTT for what I'm after, which is more a change of tone - not just unfiltered volume increase

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just realise this morning when cruising at 70MPH that my exhaust was queiter ( is that even a word ?!) than yesterday.
wich make me think than my sound problem may not be only related to my exhaust, maybe there is something happening with my engine or how the ECU manages shits...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts