MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been an expensive year for the car, some massive lows with the car blowing up and then some highs with it being built.

I'm now 3k miles onto the engine and fingers crossed all is good. The car is running great and in the last couple of months I've removed the Manic stage 2 in favour of Lorenzo at RPM in Canada putting on their Stage 3+ tune.

It took a bit more tuning because it wasn't boosting very well, the wastegate needed adjusting quite a bit as it would peak in boost then drop off quite quickly. It's not so bad now, but when I sent images of my turbo I was told it's Chinese shit casting on the hotside and won't cope for much longer.

So I bit the bullet and have ordered from Joe (@Projectgtx) a Turbo Systems hybrid. Should arrive tomorrow and can't wait to get it fitted.

Looks wise I was helping a friend with his Pandem kitted E30 and I tried out some of his old wheels, Team Dynamic 1.2 in Matt black. They are an et38 offset and sat right on the edge of the arch. Long story short I've bought a set of Vad Design wide arches which are going in to be fitted this Tuesday to the car before swapping out the JCW wheels for the TDs with 15+20mm spacers (sat over orranje studs)

I think I've got the offsets right but you never know! These arches are 25+30mm wider than stock.

So it's going to get some nice updates and looking forward to then getting it on track.

Couple of pics of what's on its way.

Current look.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personal preference but I like your current look better than the wider arch kit look.

I thought you was running a hybrid JCW turbo?

Can't see the BorgWarner using cheap Chinese parts on the OE JCW turbo.

How much power is the RPM tune making?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personal preference but I like your current look better than the wider arch kit look.

I thought you was running a hybrid JCW turbo?

Can't see the BorgWarner using cheap Chinese parts on the OE JCW turbo.

How much power is the RPM tune making?
I hear you, it's still a nice arch as stock I just fancied something a little different a bit wider.

It's A Neos Bros JCW copy, and whilst it made good power as a stage two, after the rebuild I put a 7+7 hybrid billet cartridge in it, but it's the hotside that RPM weren't blown away by and suggested the reason it would hit peak boost and then drop off is most likely due to the wastegate seating and then lifting from the rear allowing boost to drop. I've also seen this before in YouTube videos so no reason to doubt them.

Not dynoed it yet, will wait for the new Turbo Systems to go on and then upload the 1.55bar map. Hoping for 300+, from what I've seen on their cars it's possible. We will see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Got some pics of the progress with the arches this morning. Drivers side is on, passenger side will be finished soon then they'll all come off for prep and then paint. Going to hit them with a satin Matt paint. Wheels are Matt black, and so I don't lose the shape of the arch I figured the satin Matt was the way forward over a full gloss.

As with most custom body parts a bit of fettling was needed for the front arch where the front bumper meets the end of the arch. The arch doesn't have the two tabs available to slot into the bumper, it's one piece. Other than that fit is said to be very good as is the quality. 👍

·
Resident Gobshite
4,164 Posts
I want you to prove me wrong with the arches. I’ve never seen a mini with wide arches that I’ve remotely liked or that hasn’t left me wishing I could smash my head against a brick wall to forget the image.

Hope these look as good as you hope! Waiting with anticipation 🍿

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want you to prove me wrong with the arches. I’ve never seen a mini with wide arches that I’ve remotely liked or that hasn’t left me wishing I could smash my head against a brick wall to forget the image.

Hope these look as good as you hope! Waiting with anticipation 🍿
Sounds like I'll be playing to a tough crowd. At the end of the day we all modify cars to our own tastes. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa, but that's the fun of it right we don't all want to own the same things.

But.. because it would be nice to get a convert out of you, here are some of their images of what they look like and if you're still not a fan then I shan't hold my breath 😂😉

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,722 Posts
1stly thanks for sharing images, its good that people have different tastes

Wide arches ...it’s all too much
If only something like the original rs4 or e46 m3 style could be achieved, for about half that width or even less then take my money now....

the transition to original body parts does not work very well, looks more like a beach buggy to my eyes 👀

·
Hobo Member
377 Posts
Sounds like I'll be playing to a tough crowd. At the end of the day we all modify cars to our own tastes. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa, but that's the fun of it right we don't all want to own the same things.
100% right with that. Everyone is open to share their opinion and not everyone has to agree with them. At the end of the day what counts that the owner is happy with the end result.
I'd have to see the wide arches in person, seems to look different in all the pictures you have posted. Keep us updated with the progress!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1stly thanks for sharing images, its good that people have different tastes

Wide arches ...it’s all too much
If only something like the original rs4 or e46 m3 style could be achieved, for about half that width or even less then take my money now....

the transition to original body parts does not work very well, looks more like a beach buggy to my eyes 👀
I think so too! 😎

In terms of something similar to an RS4 or E46 M3, I'd be all over that too! But I'm guessing you'd be looking for single piece flared arches that are all part of the front wing or rear quarter panel then like th aforementioned cars above? Think you'll be looking at about 10x the value of these arches if so.

its a nod to the original arch as it's bolt on, is in keeping with the black plastic splitter and lower diffuser, but flared 25mm front and 30mm rear. Comparing these cars to beach buggies is a little overdramatic don't you think? They're all pretty slammed if you ask me!

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
with that offset plus 20mm spacers you're going to be fighting it I suspect,

I have similar spacing on this, can't remember the j or et of these RC325's but they're on 20mm 5x12 PCD converters, pretty sure they'll be 7.5 x 35 or similar. I was tempted to ditch the arches and rims etc because I can get 225/45 under a stock arch on factory et48 x7 anyway and like the compact image. Instead I'll probably just change the rims and converters for a wider rim that balances the offset better

in my head I see 9" centre locks on it with 245 something perhaps

I'm with others on the idea that integral arches are 1000% nicer, RS4, Z4 coupe, 968, 1M, all that stuff, where these add on arches are nearly as bad (not quite) as the stuff people stick on the classic Minis, all I see are wheels way too wide for the body sticking out with a token cover added to shroud the tyre, they never have any nice incorporation into the body going on.

some of the images look ok, whether they'd be nicer in paint I don't know, meaning body colour, I suspect so if nicely finished.

I'm not a fan of mine black, if I don't change them to grey I'd be tempted to do the whole car Almond Green to match my classic anyway haha,

carry on with the ideas, someone has to do something differently or they all seem samey ;O)

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So the car is finished, the arches to me look amazing, like OEM+. The body shop who do a lot of work for a classic car company in East London did the work and I can't fault it. The paint work looks brilliant in satin matt black, and with some cleaning up of the original black trim there won't be too much difference in colour.

So long story short my maths didn't work out, the wheels even running an extra 5mm spacer on top of 20mm at the back is still shy of where it needs to be, and running out of thread on the hub studs at 82mm long I'd need something like 95 out back and 90s on the front which I'm not inclined to do as I feel it's just too much and the wheel becomes a long way off from the hub itself. (I've read other articles saying you can do 50-55mm spacers which happens in some drift scenes)

So now I'm thinking I'll sell my JCW wheels and my Matt black TD 1.2s to help fund the new rims and tyres needed.

Vad Designs do an Evo Corse 9x17 et10 that runs a 245/40/17 tyre. But not sure how much these are. At those specs I won't require any spacers and I'll get the overall look that I'm after.

So now with the car done I'm frantically hunting down the right wheel so it can at least look right! Below are a bunch of images this afternoon I took as I had a half day.

Above with the TD1.2s and 20mm of spacing.

TDs on, with 20mm spacing, which looks ok but by the time it was dropped the gap grew and it's still some way off. I'm running stock camber i.e no plates or arms aside from any change in the drop it's currently on.

Attachments

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,722 Posts
with that offset plus 20mm spacers you're going to be fighting it I suspect,

I have similar spacing on this, can't remember the j or et of these RC325's but they're on 20mm 5x12 PCD converters, pretty sure they'll be 7.5 x 35 or similar.

carry on with the ideas, someone has to do something differently or they all seem samey ;O)
7.5 and et 43....👍

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,722 Posts
The jcw style wheel also comes with a challenge track option at 7.5 wide, so a 225 Or slightly wider tyre could work Well
I think 9” wheels will bite you in the arse at some stage, be it by weight or clearance so I’d be looking to Try before I buy or see if you can find anyone running a similar spec with same suspension and use...
could be an expensive way find out it’s not ticking all the boxes you need

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually dig the wide flares, but I always dislike how satin of a finish they have. I might have missed it, are you going to body color match, or stay with the black? If you are staying black, SEM makes a fantastic textured black bumper paint that I have used on another car to give a more factory look.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually dig the wide flares, but I always dislike how satin of a finish they have. I might have missed it, are you going to body color match, or stay with the black? If you are staying black, SEM makes a fantastic textured black bumper paint that I have used on another car to give a more factory look.
So I don't recall the percentage of satin, it's not that high so still mainly a Matt finish, but something closer to OEM on the original arches. In person they are more Matt looking I think the camera has put a little more sheen on it than that is true to life. Either way I love the look.

Too late to adjust but I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks 👍

Wheels turned up today, tyres should follow suit tomorrow or maybe Monday need to check the tracking in the morning. These look great. Initially I ordered Hyper black which was more of a gunmetal grey/black but annoyingly had an email ten minutes later saying they're discontinued. So I chose the Matt black as anything else the offset changed and I wanted to keep the ET20.

What do you guys think?

I also found a car with the same arches and wheels although these are 17*8.5j and not the 9" that these are.

Can't wait to finish it off!

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
nine it is then (y)

Reactions: GC1980
1 - 20 of 32 Posts