MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I've noticed that my fan doesn't come on with the aircon what are the main problems that would mate this happen and is this common.
Regard simon

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
If air con/climate is set to low it should come on at a steady low speed. If not then it will pulse the high speed fan on and off.

It will be the in built resistor that has failed. The location of them subjects them to water etc from the front and the wires corrode.

You can replace like for like which is the tidiest and beat way imo but the front end needs to be off. Plenty replacements available on eBay.

Or you can wire in another resistor with it all in situ.

Plenty of info around if you search fan resistor mod if you choose to go that route.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy fix but massive pain as I had the front of yesterday doing the sump gasket 😂 never mind only takes 30 minutes to strip the front.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
792 Posts
I cant speak for climate control equipped cars but on manual AC cars if the AC light flashes whilst switched on, normally means low pressure (so the AC does not operate and needs regassing). Thought it worth mentioning 👍

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
fwiw you don't really need to interrupt the cooling system, only release the rad clips and top hose clamp to the manifold, bring the top of the rad forward and feed the top hose under the front panel to help create your gap then pull the fan from the top while protecting the top rad elbow from strain, not for everyone but if it's got stock hoses it's straightforward.

Reactions: JKo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've changed the resistor and the fan still don't come on with the aircon. The blue wire had come of. I put my multy meter on the plug and with the aircon on. I'm not getting any power to the plug but the 50amp fuse seems ok. How can I test the circuit??? The fan comes on when the car is hot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all I've noticed that my fan doesn't come on with the aircon what are the main problems that would mate this happen and is this common.
Regard simon
Regard simon

See above I investigated this and it only comes on when the pressure in the AC system reaches a certain point, I was expecting it to run all the time like on my range rover but it doesn't.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What should happen when you turn air con on.. Fan off air con compressor starts and after around 10 seconds slow fan comes on and stays on. If this doesn't happen and you get a high speed fan intermittently on and off slow speed fan relay is toast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts