MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a week off coming up that I will be spending fixing up a few things on my be-hated R53 that my wife refuses to let me get rid of.
It's pretty untidy now, it looks ok on top but it's showing its rover heritage underneath and its rattly and feel pretty tired.
I had considered spending a bit of money on it but I think that more and more stuff will be going wrong with it and one day I'll go outside and find it has crumbled into a pile of rust.
If it was a proper JCW it would probably be worth holding on to but it's not its a cooper S with a lot JCW bits I slowly gathered off of here.
I'd consider replacing it with a better R53 but I think they're probably all showing thier age now.

I'm considering looking at an early F56 instead but don't know anything about them
Are they good or turning out to be rusty pieces of shit with cheese engines?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a week off coming up that I will be spending fixing up a few things on my be-hated R53 that my wife refuses to let me get rid of.
It's pretty untidy now, it looks ok on top but it's showing its rover heritage underneath and its rattly and feel pretty tired.
I had considered spending a bit of money on it but I think that more and more stuff will be going wrong with it and one day I'll go outside and find it has crumbled into a pile of rust.
If it was a proper JCW it would probably be worth holding on to but it's not its a cooper S with a lot JCW bits I slowly gathered off of here.
I'd consider replacing it with a better R53 but I think they're probably all showing thier age now.

I'm considering looking at an early F56 instead but don't know anything about them
Are they good or turning out to be rusty pieces of shit with cheese engines?
Test drive one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The “Rover heritage” of the R53 is more desirable than the BMW and Peugeot heritage of the R56 that’s for sure!

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,653 Posts
I’d say a Good F56 is as faraway from a r53, as that is in turn from an old 1970’s minI 850,
thats not to say I wouldn’t swap back in a heartbeat my current 80k f56 Sd, For my older 145k r53 if it still existed. Being better engineered isn’t the same as being more fun....

Still a difficult comparison to make, when I test drove the “new F series“ in 2014 I found the delivery so boring in the standard MCS I decided to buy the SD (but I was comparing a stock car against mine which had 100hp more)

the jcw option would be my advice as that felt far better (the 2 I have driven both had the valved exhaust) as It felt a bigger jump in performance than from a std r53s to r53jcw. Test drive as many as possible, and because of the price difference it may make more sense in the end to modify a MCS to get the performance you need.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
To add if you add a map to an F56 Cooper S, its like driving a completely different car to a stock one, transforms it. Get in and test drive one. I own both R53 and F56 JCW and they are two very different cars.

To daily I would pick the F56 without hesitation. Engines seem pretty strong up to 300bhp, very easy to get to with exhaust, intercooler and map.

I love my R53 it has plenty of charm but the F56 is very good.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A modded f56 is a great car.
Standard it’s bland.

They are relatively cheap and still so modern. The engine is great for easy 250bhp and more and more after market parts are coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts