MiniTorque.com banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Result on the compression test (y) .
It only leaves the injector, leads or coil.
Check the leads and coil for corrosion on the connectors. Reasonably inexpensive to replace if faulty.
Yeah injectors can leak.
Personally Id clean the plug, connect them back to the leads and turn the engine over to make sure they spark as expected. Doing it in low light or darkness is good for visual. As you wont be running the car you can put number 2 lead on number 3 coil for example and again check for spark quality. This will distinguish between leads or coil.
If thats all good it only leaves the injector, you could swap this injector to another cylinder to see if the fault moves with it. If it does youve got your culprit.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Thanks Mike, ive cleaned up the coil its an msd pack and measured the ohm of the leads 3 and 4 were similar and 1 higher than 2 as it’s the shortest lead. Think I may pull the injectors out and have a look at them and make a test lead up to fire them as have seen a few on youtube have done then swap 2 and 1 over. Why is the plug so oily though ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Valve stem oil seals spring to mind given the compression test is consistent so that should rule out piston rings, plus that oil looks conjealed.

An endoscope may be able to video check the valves.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I've taken the injectors out this afternoon and aside from being a bit crudy I couldn't see any build up in the inlet side but will give them a soak in carb cleaner then rig up a supply and blast them through whilst open.
I shone a torch down the inlet hole for the injectors and the back of the inlet valves look clean like the other 3 and no signs of oil on the stems meaning its not coming down the stems.?
Going to fit new leads and put no2 injector in no4 and swap them over to see if the fault moves or stops.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,447 Posts
it's oiling, so you have a mechanical issue, either stem seals or other oil ingress, rings/piston etc.

if I were to guess looking at low use high deposits I'd be inclined to think the rings could be sticking or a potential for a cyl 2 piston concern,

endoscope down the plug hole might show something but tbh it looks like it's coming apart anyway, so might as well just do that, perhaps leak test it prior if wanting some other info but oil like that to me says enough,

Reactions: KeithyCoop

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
No you dont need to take it apart - just yet anyway.
Work through your elimination process.
You can get phone attaching bore scopes which could be very useful.
What were your compression results? Did you do them dry and then with a drop of oil in?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Yes I found an old compression test at Lohen and they were 160.
Anyway probably irrelevant now as I’ve had a look down the bores and no2 piston crown has an oil puddle on it and the others look normal. The images are not great but can see oil on top of piston just by shining a torch down the plug hole. Not sure what to do now. I could take the head of to see if it’s from the valve guides but would have thought all 4 would be the same. Drop the sump and take rods up out of the top and fit new rings and see if that sorts it but if the piston is damaged it’s a full rebuild. Not sure I want to spend that much as was looking to change it this year. Other option is to break it or remove the diff etc and sell as standard.
Astronomical object Sky Science Circle Astronomy
Sky Galaxy Star Astronomical object Asphalt

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Ah thats such a shame.
Id expect wear and tear to roughly evenly wear all the valve seals equally but its always possible just one has failed. Picked up some debris or something.
Its also possible it is just the rings, theyre clearly all worn and it could be the oil scraper thats failed on this cylinder.
Think Id lean towards the valve stem seal but thats nothings more than a guess.
I dont know what to suggest if you were thinking of moving it on anyway.
Sorry buddy.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,447 Posts
replied....

Reactions: shiftspark

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Sort of..either try rough and ready in situ or take it out and go from there. Just need to work out cost and whether I keep it post fix.Either way lots of graft or money or both lol

101 - 120 of 136 Posts