MiniTorque.com banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
try telling a JCW speculator owner that 馃槀

Reactions: NigelStap

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Nothing happened to my Mini since the last update. Its booked in for a mot on monday so checked it over this afternoon and found that one of the side repeaters wasn't working as moisture had got inside it. A quick clean of contacts had that working. Next was the rear washer not working, Ive had this before with a blocked pipe so removed the rear trim to see if it was blocked but it was the stem that has the little ball in which was blocked with some slime. I pulled the tip off (Oo er mrs ) and poked it with a pin after a soak in some bleach. Now all working fine.

I am still unsure what to do with the Mini as I want to get back into tarmac rallies again as my son wants to navigate. I am looking at MX5 as these are cheap but all seem to be rot boxes and not sure I want to be welding cills and chassis rails just to get a base car ready.
I have enquired about renting a car but its quite expensive, whilst no motorsport is cheap it soon adds up i.e. 拢1000 for car plus insurance 拢3-400 plus 拢2000 excess. Then fuel 拢80 and entry fee say 拢300 per event. It has a lot of advantages as its arrive and drive, no prep or big outlay for a car which I still recon will be 拢6-7000 plus trailer and tow car etc etc
I could just add all the safety stuff to the Mini (拢4000 ?) as its a well sorted and maintained car. Lets get the Mot on monday and see where we go.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Well I got up to take the Mini for it鈥檚 mot this morning and it sounded a bit lumpy as it ticked over whilst I opened the gates鈥 hmnn that doesn鈥檛 sound right I thought.
Gave the pedal a quick prod and it was running on 3 cylinders :rolleyes: I put the scan guage back on to read the fault code and it was P0302 which is no 2 cylinder, great just what I need and the 1st time it鈥檚 had an issue which with a Mini is very rare lol
I let it warm up and tried to clear the code but wasn鈥檛 having it so I gave the pedal a couple of extra prods and boom鈥.it cleared 馃榾
Went for a spin around before dropping it off and collected it later with a pass 馃憤馃徎 Only advisory was front and rear subframes are rusty but sound.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I used the Mini a few weeks back and was running great except on way home it started to misfire again so it was parked up and left until I had time to look at it.
I bought some new plugs and O rings for the injectors as I thought it was an injector as being intermittent and today I had a look.
I checked the injectors and all had 11.7ohm on the coils so took the plugs out to change them as I had them and found no2 full of oil and the tip looks burnt out so changed all the plugs. What I didn鈥檛 expect to find as no tip on number 3 plug ! Any idea as to what may cause this or is it just old plugs ?
Also took the air filter out which is a JCW box and it was full of crud at the bottom and the sponge has started to degrade so that will need changing. I assume ITG or Pipercross are preferred ?
I had to charge the battery as it died when I tried to start it but fired up when the battery was re charged so all looks good.
Have a look at the state of the plugs and filter..
Light Material property Gas Paint Auto part
Automotive tire Gas Font Artifact Metal
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Yes seems ok but taking it out this after for a longer run.
Will need a new filter but will have to wait until Lohen or orrange open

Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
looking at the plug bodies I suspect it's possible both could have been loose? It looks like it's been burning oil, was there oil top side from a plug tube seal type leak? If so I'd resolve that, new (better) plugs, recheck after some normal use if there are no other obvious symptoms or codes, just renew the filter with the same imo.

without symptoms I doubt I'd be comp or leak testing cylinders potentially affected by the consequences of this just yet but that's me.

Premium Member
looking at the plug bodies I suspect it's possible both could have been loose? It looks like it's been burning oil, was there oil top side from a plug tube seal type leak? If so I'd resolve that, new (better) plugs, recheck after some normal use if there are no other obvious symptoms or codes, just renew the filter with the same imo.

without symptoms I doubt I'd be comp or leak testing cylinders potentially affected by the consequences of this just yet but that's me.
馃ぃ It takes all of 5 minutes to do a compression test.

Premium Member
Yes seems ok but taking it out this after for a longer run.
Will need a new filter but will have to wait until Lohen or orrange open
Thats good. Put a few miles on it then whip the plug out and give it a check.
Even if the rocker cover/spark plug o ring was leaking it would pool on top of the plug not in the cylinder.
It takes no time at all to do a compression check, if youve got the tool, its what Id do but thats just me.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Well I have ran it the last couple of days back and to to work and it鈥檚 started to misfire again.
Ive not had chance to get the plugs out but what do we recon is the issue ? Leads or coil pack ? Or intermittent injector issue ?

Registered
I had the same issue before I parked the mini for a long sleep, same looking spark plug full of oil, turn out one of the pistion is shot, so the engine oil was entering the chamber and coating the plug full of oil.
Don't want to stress you or anything but a compression test is the best way to know wht you're dealing with.

Premium Member
maybe let's see the plugs again as you've used it?

coil fault is more likely than leads imo, I guess you've looked at the coil terminal state? Pretty common for them to rot but can still break down at random regardless

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I鈥檒l have look at it on Friday and post back. I鈥檝e ordered a compression tester as think I threw my old stuff away in a 鈥滻 won鈥檛 need it in the future as can鈥檛 see myself stripping engine or taking cars apart again 鈥 :unsure::LOL:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Pulled the plugs back out today and number 2 is oiled up again also did a compression test and all 4 cylinders are within 10psi of each other so hopefully no valve or piston damage ?
Also changed over the air filter for a new Itg.
Pictures of plugs below for reference, what do we think to change next ? Leads or coil pack ?
Any other suggestions? I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 an injector as the plug is wet unless they can stick open ? Any other idea as to where the oil is coming from?
Automotive tire Art Line Material property Font
Hand Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Watch Automotive tire Hood
Hood Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Automotive design
Watch Hood Automotive design Gadget Motor vehicle
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

81 - 100 of 120 Posts