MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My boot wiper arm had dropped a bit so today I decided to refit it in the right position and the washer wasnt squirting so though the pipe was blocked again.
I opened the boot to put some tools down and thought the carpet was wet ! sure enough there was about 50mm of water in the battery tray again ffs.
So I stripped off all the trim to have another look and found its getting under the lower boot chrome trim and coming through the white clips that hold it on. They look like they have a little seal under them but I can get the buggers out as they are tight against the screen ?!
so I have ordered a new boot trim incase the rubber seal as hardened off with age and letting water past it.
IMG_4809.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg
IMG_4814.jpg

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was bored the other day so decided to clean the wheel arches.
Before-
IMG_4822.jpg
IMG_4823.jpg

And after
IMG_4829.jpg
IMG_4830.jpg

Just shows up the skanky underside. It all needs painting, something I will get around to but thinking of adding some Hardrace arms as the standard arm bushes are probably past their best.
Also fancy a wheel change but not sure what. Really like OZ but very expensive so may just go 1.2's and MPS 4 tyres.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My boot wiper arm had dropped a bit so today I decided to refit it in the right position and the washer wasnt squirting so though the pipe was blocked again.
I opened the boot to put some tools down and thought the carpet was wet ! sure enough there was about 50mm of water in the battery tray again ffs.
So I stripped off all the trim to have another look and found its getting under the lower boot chrome trim and coming through the white clips that hold it on. They look like they have a little seal under them but I can get the buggers out as they are tight against the screen ?!
so I have ordered a new boot trim incase the rubber seal as hardened off with age and letting water past it.
View attachment 99579 View attachment 99580 View attachment 99581
Seal the gap by the boot handle.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the tip but theres no leak from there its coming in via the trim clips for the chrome strip.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
282 Posts
View attachment 99579 View attachment 99580 View attachment 99581
Had exactly the same problem here mate.....all the clips from the middle of the trim all the way to the drivers side were either lose or broken allowing water to ingress into the tailgate. They also have these crappy little rubber gaskets which either stop working or disappear entirely if the clip to the bodywork snaps.....most of mine were missing....a terrible design for sure. I originally thought it was my tailgate handle gasket but it was this all along.

They were only loose or broken where they attach to the car, not the parts that clip to the trim so I came up with an alternative fix as I knew replacing the clips with the glass in situ would be nigh on impossible and even if I did the crap seals on them would only go in time so wanted something more "permanent"

I used Geocel Joiners Mate Mitre spray activated glue to reattach them in the correct places....then ensured I put enough product on to seal around the edges. That way thoroughly attached to the car and wouldn't let any water by when they get wet. Spray with the activator and the gloop goes solid like super glue and Bob's your uncle....its a bit like easy plastic welding to be honest and arguably easier and better /quicker to work with than clear silicone. Just have to be careful not to activate any product on paintwork where it would be seen once the trim is put back as it can be a bit of a bugger to remove.

Some months on and lots of heavy rain all sorted. If the others start letting by at some stage I'll do them too.....nice to know as well waters no longer getting in and rotting my tailgate inside outwards.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
282 Posts
.....by the way once I did this the trim went on tighter to the screen than it ever did before and I dont think let's by much if at all now.

I was lucky that the leak was only filling my boot seal up...it didn't make it into the actual boot itself thankfully but I dont think it was far off happening.

Bone dry now tho.....better than new I'd say...one of the more pleasing fixes I've done on it (y)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have fitted the new trim now and the old seal had hardened quite a lot compared to the new one. Also smeared clear sealant under the clips to keep any water out and passed the watering can test !
Also decided to take the belt line tape off and looks much better now.
4E5B404F-9C8F-465F-A893-B867F6994A5F.jpeg
E84BA59B-C9C1-4FD0-A9AB-28BA13C1F04B.jpeg
F74410E2-FB0A-4730-B918-49F91040E7B5.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Always nicer with chrome ;O)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So not used this much as like most people but used it for my weekly shop and noticed a little puddle at the front of the car and my clutch slave cylinder was leaking :rolleyes: so I ordered a Febi one.
I changed it over easy enough but could not get much on the pedal and was low on fluid so let it over night with the lid off the master cylinder and pedal wedged down.
A quick google on bleeding tips later I ordered a Gunsons easy bleed and some fluid.
Went off to collect them the next day and when I got back got the tools back out ready to bleed it and forgotten I’d left the pedal wedged so took it off and amazingly the clutch worked ok 😁
So packed everything away and left it admiring my good work.
Came to use it today and pedal went straight to the floor 😖 so tools back out and bled it with the Easybleed and still wasn’t great so just forced the lever back in a few times and released the bleed nipple and hey presto a nice clutch pedal.
Sure I’ve seen this written on someone’s signature “fucking Mini’s”

·
Registered
406 Posts
Recently had the same problem but I just compressed the new one with a piece of wood and 2 long wood screws and then bled it that way got a pedal pretty quick. Glad you got it sorted and always handy having the bleed kit. I ordered a Febi one and it took about 8 days to come.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts