MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
A few quick shots of how she currently sits:

I forgot to mention that the battery died during the time I had it unplugged....it is on the charger now, so hopefully it will be all good to start up tomorrow. Almost back on the road!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The android build looks very involved but will be worth it once complete, nice work!

Car is looking great lowered, bet you must be itching to take it for a spin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The android build looks very involved but will be worth it once complete, nice work!

Car is looking great lowered, bet you must be itching to take it for a spin.
Oh I sure am! I have it almost ready to roll, just working out a few small kinks with things, and still waiting on parts. Not sure if you guys across the pond are following our issues with the postal service here, but its causing a huge headache for both this project and my business.

As a side note, I had a friend message me saying he was looking to get rid of his really clean, rust free R56 Cooper S. He says it has some engine issues, but from discussing it further with him it seems like something small that he just doesn't know how to solve. I'm going to take a look at it soon, but he is looking for practically nothing for it.... I love the idea of the R53, but for depending on just how clean this is and what is actually wrong with it, I don't know what I am going to do...

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
both ;O)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your Mini is looking fantastic! I've just become a first-time owner and I'm excited at the number of different options I have for modifying my new car - yours may well be a source of inspiration!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Your Mini is looking fantastic! I've just become a first-time owner and I'm excited at the number of different options I have for modifying my new car - yours may well be a source of inspiration!
Thank you, that means a lot since I am still so early on with this! I am a first time Mini owner, and it is definitely fun so far.

So after researching the R56 models a bit more, it seems like it is best to avoid the earlier years, and instead go for a 2012 or later. I don't really need to do this, so I should probably just bail on the idea altogether now. Best to focus on my R53!

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
well there's a fair amount more to the motors, needing more attention it seems, with some risk of fairly expensive issues or consequences perhaps, although the cars foibles are known now so an enthusiast owner should be able to manage preventative work to keep the car reliable. Doing a few things differently could result in a better car than others refer to perhaps. I've just bought one with this in mind, years of reading bad reviews I wanted to find out a lot more myself so stripped it completely and will go from there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
well there's a fair amount more to the motors, needing more attention it seems, with some risk of fairly expensive issues or consequences perhaps, although the cars foibles are known now so an enthusiast owner should be able to manage preventative work to keep the car reliable. Doing a few things differently could result in a better car than others refer to perhaps. I've just bought one with this in mind, years of reading bad reviews I wanted to find out a lot more myself so stripped it completely and will go from there.
Yeah, that is a solid point...and I suppose since it is technically rust free, it could make a good platform for a longer term project.... Why must you tempt me like this? I had my mind made up lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Picked up a new shift knob this week, as mine was broken anyway. Decided to try out the Raceseng Topology, which allows me to get some decent weight while not having to worry about temperature in the extreme months. So far I like it, it feels amazing and the quality is insane. I will eventually need to replace my shifter, but mine technically is working even if it is sloppy as hell.

I'll have to grab a picture of it installed to actually show what the knob looks like, but you can see it is quite a bit heavier!

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
much of why your shifter is sloppy could be due to a small plastic bush on the linkage of the neutral gate on the gearbox below the airbox, simply remove two bolts, rotate it through 90deg so it wears on a different plane or renew it, refit and lube it all then you might notice a fair improvement perhaps. Small movement here is amplified significantly at the lever.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
much of why your shifter is sloppy could be due to a small plastic bush on the linkage of the neutral gate on the gearbox below the airbox, simply remove two bolts, rotate it through 90deg so it wears on a different plane or renew it, refit and lube it all then you might notice a fair improvement perhaps. Small movement here is amplified significantly at the lever.
Ah good to know, I'll certainly check that out and see what things look like. I think I may just be putting this car back together and look at selling it, as after checking out the R56 I certainly am interested in it... There are some faded spots on some of the trim, and it does appear to have a bit of a rough idle and a bit smokey exhaust, but for the cost I think it might be worth the headaches.... The body is completely rust free (minus the exhust, it looks brand new underneath), and I honestly really prefer the interior on the R56. It also has about 80k less mileage on it, which is a big plus. They are asking $1,500, but I think I'll offer a bit less and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
fwiw this is the little thing you'd be looking for, you can see the wear step on it, only cheap to renew but also easy to just turn it to the unworn face for a free improvement ;O)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
fwiw this is the little thing you'd be looking for, you can see the wear step on it, only cheap to renew but also easy to just turn it to the unworn face for a free improvement ;O)
View attachment 101118
Ah awesome, you are super helpful, I really appreciate this! I'll try to hop on this project during the weekend, after I do my lower control arms.

So one last bit on the R56, before I really make up my mind. Car starts, but definitely sounds rough and is smoking from the exhaust. The previous owner did note that he thinks he ran low on oil, and that is when the issue started. I have a feeling this is likely the timing chain, and the oil may be buildup in the exhaust. I don't mind doing the timing chain myself, but am going in with the understanding that it may be more than that. Still thinking I might do this, and try to pick up a motor to build for the near future to swap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well, I have the R56 now.... Going to be doing the timing chain and thermostat and see how it feels, but I was able to get her running well over the weekend. It will definitely need some cleanup and some love, but overall is definitely in better shape than the R53. I think I will likely sell the R53, but still want to sit on it for a bit.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts