MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
consider the bore for a cooper or one isn't necessarily going to be ideal for a sports exhaust for a 53, the tailpipe might look alright but the pipe sizing will be limiting I expect, the one above is a 2.5" race system for the R50's, not the regular systems that were about fyi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
consider the bore for a cooper or one isn't necessarily going to be ideal for a sports exhaust for a 53, the tailpipe might look alright but the pipe sizing will be limiting I expect, the one above is a 2.5" race system for the R50's, not the regular systems that were about fyi
I would imagine it is okay still, as it is the same diameter as the stock R53 exhaust. Combine that with the fact that it is going through less distance of piping and I imagine it probably won't be too far off. The R53s need a little backpressure from my understanding, and I'm not expecting to make this car an insane powerhouse to begin with. Thats what I have the Challenger for :p

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
they do like a little back pressure yes, the cat alone is enough with a bigger pipe size, or no cat with a 2.25 pipe size or 2.5 with the correct sized res/silencers or other variant, and tailpipe size, or they drone, or are just a crap sound haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
they do like a little back pressure yes, the cat alone is enough with a bigger pipe size, or no cat with a 2.25 pipe size or 2.5 with the correct sized res/silencers or other variant, and tailpipe size, or they drone, or are just a crap sound haha
Hahaha yes, that last part is the one I want to avoid! I was potentially going to match up the Milltek catback with the Megan header, going catless for the time being. I can definitely dig in a little bit more, but I think if I am staying at the same diameter as the stock exhaust I at least know I shouldn't be restricting it at all.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
that should work alright, I ran a version of the Megan header with a de-cat (same origin/factory), including with the above pipe, I definitely don't recommend that 😂 That noise could crack bricks haha, the above clip was with a stock header,

Megan and de-cat works with stock system though and is alright to around 250hp, 84 or 87db iirc on my car at least @ ~5k. With the cat back you have in mind the res size is where it may make a sound difference, I expect sounding a little quieter (better imo) than the clip posted, as the Chinese res pipes used are pretty small,

like I said before it's something I'll probably be doing again,

most prefer the centre exit but they more than likely haven't felt the very significant weight difference you're about to discover 😂

if using a de-cat you will need to source an angled post cat sensor extender like the one pictured to avoid an engine light in steady state driving probably

the perforated gaskets supplied fwiw are shite, this was years back, I never use them now, only OEM multi layer steel type, the others can blow out

WP_20141011_001.jpg

WP_20150204_011.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
that should work alright, I ran a version of the Megan header with a de-cat (same origin/factory), including with the above pipe, I definitely don't recommend that 😂 That noise could crack bricks haha, the above clip was with a stock header,

Megan and de-cat works with stock system though and is alright to around 250hp, 84 or 87db iirc on my car at least @ ~5k. With the cat back you have in mind the res size is where it may make a sound difference, I expect sounding a little quieter (better imo) than the clip posted, as the Chinese res pipes used are pretty small,

like I said before it's something I'll probably be doing again,

most prefer the centre exit but they more than likely haven't felt the very significant weight difference you're about to discover 😂

if using a de-cat you will need to source an angled post cat sensor extender like the one pictured to avoid an engine light in steady state driving probably

the perforated gaskets supplied fwiw are shite, this was years back, I never use them now, only OEM multi layer steel type, the others can blow out

View attachment 100742
View attachment 100743

That is definitely great information, thanks for sharing! That is always the hardest part about this, as you can't really know if you'll like the sound in person until you have it all set up. I wish it were as easy as trying on shoes or something lol.

Ideally I want something that is quality, has a good sound, gives good performance, and looks good. The Milltek will solve two of those, and I think should suit my needs for now performance wise. The sound is something I'll just have to see when I get it I guess. I think once my car gets to the point where I am restricted by my exhaust, if I still really want the single side setup, there is a local guy I know who does really quality stuff I can reach out to for a custom system.

I think this car will have two stages; running daily driver that is good enough for now, and then I'll start polishing it up and get to a cleaner and more refined build. I hesitate to spend too much right off the bat on this, as I am still pumping money into the Challenger as well, and don't want to skimp anywhere on that car.

Do you have any driving videos of that setup? I feel like dyno videos are always hard to get a good grasp on sound.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Quick update;

I was able to get three of the four coilovers installed this weekend, but ran into a seized bolt on the rear drivers side strut. I think it was a combination of being too hot (I definitely got sunburn from being out for so long), and using a 12 point socket on my impact wrench since I didn't have a 6 point for that size. I have a new bolt on the way due to this one being a bit rounded off now, and am going to hit it with Deep Creep a few more times before taking another stab at it. For now, she is sitting low in the front, and looks a little goofy! 5mm spacers are on their way to clear the coilovers, along with a few other goodies, but I still can't even get temporary tags until Friday due to Covid. We also have a tropical storm coming through right now, so unless I feel like moving her to the garage, I won't be doing anything anyway. BUT, here she sits for now, including the new eBay grille I got in my mission to eliminate chrome. The side scuttles were being painted, but that is also now on hold due to rain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, they opened up my original thread again, although it is still missing a post. I guess I'd rather use this one since it had a bit more going on. Copying my last two posts from the new thread:

I am still waiting on two parts needed to even try to pass inspection, so I decided to yank out more of the interior and keep painting. The idea is to (eventually) make all of the dark gray textured pieces black, all of the chrome trim and accent pieces glossy black, and do the headliner / ABC pillars / visors in black suede. I am honestly glad I decided to do this, as there were really some disgustingly dirty spots that I was able to get into and clean up. I strongly suspect one of the previous owners was a smoker, although you can't smell it, as there was what seemed to be nicotine buildup in some spots. Fortunately I was able to clean everything up real nicely, and begin painting / dying the interior bits. Waiting on more paint now, but this should be wrapped up and buttoned back together this weekend.

Found a steering wheel in great condition for $20, and mine had pretty trashed leather. Figured I would give this a try since it would be a loss either way if it turns out like crap:

Having a buddy weld in the straight steel this weekend, and another friend who owns a leatherworking company re-wrap it for me. Cross your fingers it turns out well...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Trying to knock out a bit of the interior this weekend, including the headliner and a deep clean on the carpet. I took apart all of the center console tech and trim to deep clean, and painted the switches for window controls with quite a few layers of plastidip to give it a nice rubbery feel.

I wish I had a decent picture of this stuff before the cleanup, but boy was it gross in comparison. It isn't perfect, but it looks damn better now...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Fantastic progress, interior will be immaculate once it’s all back together!

Steering wheel is looking to be a bargain, I want to get mine retrimmed but it keeps slipping down the list.

The look and feel of them is enhanced by padding out the thickness slightly like the JCW ones, maybe something to look into to see if you want it done whilst it’s going through the process.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Fantastic progress, interior will be immaculate once it’s all back together!

Steering wheel is looking to be a bargain, I want to get mine retrimmed but it keeps slipping down the list.

The look and feel of them is enhanced by padding out the thickness slightly like the JCW ones, maybe something to look into to see if you want it done whilst it’s going through the process.
Thank you! IF it goes back together, as my wife says. lol

And yes, I am definitely happy about the steering wheel situation, as it allowed me to be a bit more ballsy without any risk, and potentially save hundreds on a custom wheel. I am torn on giving it much more shape, as my Challengers wheel is a bit thicker already and I do kind of like how thin the Minis wheel is. Im leaning toward just making it flat bottom and keeping the overall shape the same otherwise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Interior destruction, pt 2.

I mentioned at the beginning this thread might be obnoxious and filled with pictures. Hopefully they are semi worthwhile. Well, I have officially gone off my rocker... I decided to just tear EVERYTHING out, down to the metal. Why? I know a lot of people may think this is too much, and I am a bit worried about remembering where every screw goes (I labelled some things, but I tend to go by memory for this kind of thing....)

Blacking everything out (true black, not dark gray) was definitely goal number one, but as I started taking pieces out I started noticing more and more issues as far as cleanliness goes. It started off with just the tar-like material gumming things up, which I suspect even more now as nicotine as I have found two lighters tucked away under trim panels. As I progressed toward the back of the car, I noticed that an animal had likely nested in here at some point, and chewed bits of foam away from under the trim. I didn't see any droppings necessarily, but it is definitely more disgusting that I initially thought it would be.

There was also more of the tar-like substance under the rear seats (now completely removed, including mounting points and seat belts), in the trunk, and built up heavily on the carpet. The carpet is really the only thing left inside the car, and I am likely taking that out to do a deep clean on it. I don't think I have the energy to dye it, but I feel like I might as well at this point to really make the entire interior feel like new.

I prepped everything for the headliner job, but due to a lack of enthusiasm with my wife helping me, it didn't go quite well and I carefully peeled it back off. I'm not 100% sure if it is salvageable, but she finally agreed to help me tomorrow if I stick a drink in her hand. I hope it works out, otherwise I need to repurchase the suede. The good news is that the dyed gray plastic pieces for the roof turned out great, and I am finishing up the clear coat on the rest of the interior trim to complete that part of this project.

Also, since the interior has stolen the show lately, I figured I would show off the completed side scuttles. The smoked side markers look great in my opinion, and the copper color is going to be my only accent for the time being.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That escalated quickly! 😂

Definitely lots of grime in there, going to be factory fresh by the time you’re finished.

Perfect time to add the nicer armrest which needs a revised rear centre console section if you want one. Miss having one but not overly keen on the retrofit version that uses the seat mounting points instead.

Hard to come across the factory fit options over here that aren’t in very poor condition.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
one of the first things I ever do is get seats out to clear that shite

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That escalated quickly! 😂

Definitely lots of grime in there, going to be factory fresh by the time you’re finished.

Perfect time to add the nicer armrest which needs a revised rear centre console section if you want one. Miss having one but not overly keen on the retrofit version that uses the seat mounting points instead.

Hard to come across the factory fit options over here that aren’t in very poor condition.
Yeah, I let this get a bit out of control already, but I'm sure it will be well worth it. And I'm a bit torn on the armrest thing. I thought i wanted one, but I don't necessarily feel like I care enough to get one now. I will definitely look into that though, might be worth it!

one of the first things I ever do is get seats out to clear that shite
I normally do, but was really just looking to get this car inspected before tearing into it. I probably should have just done a deep clean and called it a day, but oh well!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Not much in the way of updates at the moment, I have just been diligently painting everything and putting it back together. I am not able to do as nice of a job as I wish I could, but I think i am just being a bit picky as it does look great overall so far!

I did want to post one bit of progress. I have been banging my head against the wall trying to find a decent solution to the infotainment on this car. I really loved the idea of keeping the display in the stock navigation setup (ie; not putting a double in below where the stock head unit goes), but definitely wanted to have both a decent touch screen and CarPlay. I also wanted to do a bluetooth OBD2 connection to get some gauges in that spot. After a few different options, I finally landed on this; a cheap Android phone, mounted in place of the stock display, with a dongle to give it CarPlay capability. I don't have a picture of the CarPlay right now but I'll grab some soon.

This is the first version of my 3D printed bracket to hold it in place, which I had to make a few adjustments on (mostly due to just forgetting things), but the new one is finished and I'll be cleaning it up shortly. i am still waiting on my OBD2 dongle, although my car still has a disconnected battery due to the airbag being removed.

I'll keep everyone up to date on this, as I am very excited with the direction it is going so far.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That looks great, how do you go about connecting the phone to the stock sound system? Are there harnesses available or are you having to customise that too?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That looks great, how do you go about connecting the phone to the stock sound system? Are there harnesses available or are you having to customise that too?
The previous owner had already installed an aux adapter for the stock headunit, and I can just go from the Android phone to that directly. I will lose forward / backward capability on the steering wheel buttons for song selection, but I should still have volume up / down!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ah of course, makes sense.

I guess you could go Bluetooth or USB head unit to get full functionality should you really wanted it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So not a ton to show right now, although I have made a decent amount of progress. Firstly, I did get my final coilover installed (finally...), although I don't have a picture of the car itself right now. I'll take one later.

Second, the interior is MOSTLY put back together, although not everything is painted yet. I really just need to get it back on the road at this point, and pass inspection. Everything that is left can be removed pretty much on its own without having to tear things apart like crazy, so I can do the remainder in bits and pieces I think.

Last for now, I was having quite a bit of trouble getting my Android / CarPlay situation working exactly how I wanted it. Although part of my goal was to have the gauges on screen that I could definitely pull off with an Android phone, the CarPlay factor was really something I wanted to work out. The big problem is that I was having a hell of a time finding a solution that actually allowed both the CarPlay connection AND allowed the Android phone to remain charged, which kind of defeated the purpose. Ultimately I was able to find a USB dock that works perfectly, so I am printing the final bracket to prep for paint and will then mount everything up. As you can see from this photo, there is quite a bit going on that I will have to tidy up and pack into the metal enclosure the satnav was built into originally. I may stick a tiny fan in there just to keep things somewhat cool, I'm not sure yet...

Once I have everything exactly where I want it, I'll include a few links to the products I used and the STL file if you want to print the bracket to do this yourself. I will take no responsibility for anything going wrong though, this was a bit of a pain to work out!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts