MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
503 Posts
Hmm....interesting. From reading online, it didn't seem like it was that big of a pain, and I do have a connection to someone with a shop who does performance BMW / Mini stuff. I'll see if he can assist with the coding side at least, but I think I will pick these up either way if they are clean. Worst case scenario, I have a set available on the marketplace for someone who needs to replace theirs!

Thanks for the information and little history though, it is definitely good to hear! A lot of the other posts made it seem like there was very little involved in this project. Also, I should mention....I don't need anything to be plug and play. While that is helpful, I am totally fine taking everything apart and customizing it if necessary!
Yeah no worries chap, for someone with a bit of knowhow and no fear of getting stuck in should be do-able.

Something I have read about before but had completely forgotten about is that you can wire in suitable size capacitors on a previously halogen car and they should work, believe it somewhat depends on whether your BC1 (the body control module down by the bonnet release normally) is xenon capable as you might suffer from strobing.....that said it looks like some people have had results putting larger capacitors in line. I think the strobing might be to do with the missing canbus signalling that a car with factory Xenon's has in place. What I'm not sure about is if the BC1 isn't xenon capable whether it can be made to be xenon capable (i.e. literally just needs coding) or if it actually needs to be swapped for one that is....again not such a simple job as the BC1 is coded to the VIN of the car.

In the US it might not matter TBF about the self levelling or washers, in the UK we have yearly motor order tests on any cars over 3 years old and they just get stricter and stricter. Once upon a time things like HID conversions used to pass without many issues but now if it's not factory fitted or fitted as per factory fitment without all the other working bits in place it won't pass anymore....well most likely won't.

So basically fitting the Xenon's themselves and getting them working should be straightforward enough, the self levelling and washer system not so much....if you don't want or need those bits then no problemo chap (y) Even without the self levelling so long as they are properly aligned they shouldn't ever dazzle anyone so long as you don't ever carry too much weight in it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah no worries chap, for someone with a bit of knowhow and no fear of getting stuck in should be do-able.

Something I have read about before but had completely forgotten about is that you can wire in suitable size capacitors on a previously halogen car and they should work, believe it somewhat depends on whether your BC1 (the body control module down by the bonnet release normally) is xenon capable as you might suffer from strobing.....that said it looks like some people have had results putting larger capacitors in line. I think the strobing might be to do with the missing canbus signalling that a car with factory Xenon's has in place. What I'm not sure about is if the BC1 isn't xenon capable whether it can be made to be xenon capable (i.e. literally just needs coding) or if it actually needs to be swapped for one that is....again not such a simple job as the BC1 is coded to the VIN of the car.

In the US it might not matter TBF about the self levelling or washers, in the UK we have yearly motor order tests on any cars over 3 years old and they just get stricter and stricter. Once upon a time things like HID conversions used to pass without many issues but now if it's not factory fitted or fitted as per factory fitment without all the other working bits in place it won't pass anymore....well most likely won't.

So basically fitting the Xenon's themselves and getting them working should be straightforward enough, the self levelling and washer system not so much....if you don't want or need those bits then no problemo chap (y) Even without the self levelling so long as they are properly aligned they shouldn't ever dazzle anyone so long as you don't ever carry too much weight in it.
Yes, I saw a few posts about the capacitors, and they are already on their way just in case. That was my initial plan, but I'm going to investigate things a little bit once I snag the lights and see where it leads me. Great information btw, I really appreciate you taking the time to assist! I am already loving this community, it definitely gives me the good vibes I had from being part of the VW community back in the day!

As for the self leveling and washer system, I'll see what I can accomplish there as i would LOVE to make that work if possible, but as long as I wait until after I get inspected this won't be a concern from that perspective. I will definitely make sure it is aligned properly either way, and I can't see this car ever having much weight in it. Especially because I am taking the rear seats out, so, more than one passenger will never happen! :LOL:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, I saw a few posts about the capacitors, and they are already on their way just in case. That was my initial plan, but I'm going to investigate things a little bit once I snag the lights and see where it leads me. Great information btw, I really appreciate you taking the time to assist! I am already loving this community, it definitely gives me the good vibes I had from being part of the VW community back in the day!

As for the self leveling and washer system, I'll see what I can accomplish there as i would LOVE to make that work if possible, but as long as I wait until after I get inspected this won't be a concern from that perspective. I will definitely make sure it is aligned properly either way, and I can't see this car ever having much weight in it. Especially because I am taking the rear seats out, so, more than one passenger will never happen! :LOL:
Most welcome pal, some great knowledgeable chaps on here (some far more than me but I do my best and help where I can :D(y)).

Gather the auto leveling only happens once first time the lights are put on between ignition cycles, it's not like some more modern cars where it changes dynamically just set the once. If you get the levelling how you want it for the normal load will be all cool 👍👍

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Most welcome pal, some great knowledgeable chaps on here (some far more than me but I do my best and help where I can :D(y)).

Gather the auto leveling only happens once first time the lights are put on between ignition cycles, it's not like some more modern cars where it changes dynamically just set the once. If you get the levelling how you want it for the normal load will be all cool 👍👍
Ah even better! I'm definitely forgoing the headlight washer, so that makes this much easier. I think this shouldn't be too much of a problem at all.

And I got my new tail lights in...I know not everyone is a fan of these, but damn do they look good in person! Putting these on later today, which should about clean up the back end enough for me to be satisfied....for this first stage of things at least!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Like the lights m8, look good 👍

With the Xenon's, may be that you can stick the halogen rings onto them, or worst case if you make sure you have the chrome flaps from the washers you probably can epoxy them on permanently somehow...either way a neat finish (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
'If' I ever did such a thing, those rear lamps are likely the only cosmetic change to lighting I'd consider, they do look good fitted imo. I can't remember seeing a negative remark re quality either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Like the lights m8, look good 👍

With the Xenon's, may be that you can stick the halogen rings onto them, or worst case if you make sure you have the chrome flaps from the washers you probably can epoxy them on permanently somehow...either way a neat finish (y) (y)
Yeah I think I would try to make my existing rings fit instead, just to avoid having to deal with the little flaps. Also maybe it will throw people off a little bit :p

'If' I ever did such a thing, those rear lamps are likely the only cosmetic change to lighting I'd consider, they do look good fitted imo. I can't remember seeing a negative remark re quality either.
Hah, I can never leave cars stock. I always try to go for a clean OEM+ look, but I just need to mess with things and make them mine. But yes, I do love these lights. I saw a decent amount of mixed feelings on them when I was looking initially, especially on Instagram. I don't get it, but to each their own!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
On the road to pass inspection - part 2:
Well, the junkyard was a bit of a bust. The '06 R53 they got in was almost entirely picked clean, headlights included. Oh well, I technically don't need them, so I'll just keep my eye out for another car to come in. I thought the diverter plate was gone, but it was actually tossed under the car in the mud. I'll clean it up, and track down some bolts for the back (only found the front two while scrounging around in the mud), but it will do for $7. I also got my beltline blackout kit from Out Motoring in, and my Raceland coilovers came in. The quality is okay, about what I would expect for $400. I know they will probably get a lot of hate, but I really just couldn't justify spending more than I paid for the car right now. I have driven on plenty of firm cars, and I plan on going with a little more meat on my tires when I get new wheels, so I don't think it will do too bad. If I hate it, I'll just return them!

Also, here are two photos of the new tail lights and black hatch handle. I couldn't really get the lighting to show how they really look with the filter style I have been using (sorry, accurate photos just aren't going to happen in this thread it seems), so here are two that might give a little bit of an idea:

I can't tell if it is going to rain or not, and the weather reports haven't been super accurate. I think if I want to install them this weekend I'll have to pull the Challenger back out of the garage. We'll see if I have the energy, and if I do I'll try to give a solid initial review.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not usually a fan of aftermarket rear lights on cars but have to admit those really look the part, great choice.

Good work on noticing the intercooler diverter and what a bargain at $7!

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
at least fix the rh strap

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not usually a fan of aftermarket rear lights on cars but have to admit those really look the part, great choice.

Good work on noticing the intercooler diverter and what a bargain at $7!
Thank you, I am quite happy with both! After cleaning up the diverter, I think it could go for a quick coat of paint, but I'm not too concerned about engine bay appearance just yet.

Looks good that. Though that pea shooter exhaust needs to go.
at least fix the rh strap
Hah, the exhaust will probably be replaced soon. Still debating on what I want to do there.... I really dislike the center exhaust tbh, so I'm toying with doing a R50 lower bumper and the R50 Milltek exhaust. A decent savings on cost and weight doesn't hurt the situation either!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I believe the lights are the same as what we are able to buy through powerfuluk here in the UK? Have to say I'm very much an OEM/OEM+ man and normally cant stand aftermarket lights but these do look excellent on the car. Only thing I'm not so keen on is use of resistors and how well they'll stand up Vs the OEM lights long term particularly as they are still not that cheap but that's just personal opinion. Look great tho👍👍. I want to change out my lights at some point and it has got me thinking!

I might be wrong but I "think" the R56 S exhaust tips fit on the OEM R53 exhaust...might be worth looking into if you don't fancy changing the exhaust. The stock cans do look a bit weedy, nothing a set of decent tips doesn't fix tho (y)

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
easily done with great weight saving, note the corner/lower/arch trims are not all going to join seamlessly as they're different dependent on R50 year etc. This one did drone but was experimental and is now sold to someone that loves it. I'd do it again but with a Maniflow pipe using a larger res, maybe an additional silencer/res also to run a de-cat and the 4:2.1 for a nicer setup.
WP_20141011_003.jpg

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
503 Posts
easily done with great weight saving, note the corner/lower/arch trims are not all going to join seamlessly as they're different dependent on R50 year etc. This one did drone but was experimental and is now sold to someone that loves it. I'd do it again but with a Maniflow pipe using a larger res, maybe an additional silencer/res also to run a de-cat and the 4:2.1 for a nicer setup.
View attachment 100710
Like that Sean, is nice mate (y) (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I believe the lights are the same as what we are able to buy through powerfuluk here in the UK? Have to say I'm very much an OEM/OEM+ man and normally cant stand aftermarket lights but these do look excellent on the car. Only thing I'm not so keen on is use of resistors and how well they'll stand up Vs the OEM lights long term particularly as they are still not that cheap but that's just personal opinion. Look great tho👍👍. I want to change out my lights at some point and it has got me thinking!

I might be wrong but I "think" the R56 S exhaust tips fit on the OEM R53 exhaust...might be worth looking into if you don't fancy changing the exhaust. The stock cans do look a bit weedy, nothing a set of decent tips doesn't fix tho (y)
Good to know about the tips, I will definitely look into that if I end up keeping the stock exhaust for long!

View attachment 100710
Yes, this looks so much better in my opinion! I already grabbed the lower bumper and rear arches from the junkyard, but I'm not terribly happy with the condition of them. My textured trim is a bit rough to begin with, so I may end up removing them all and redoing with SEM textured bumper paint. I'm not sure if I care enough right now since the rest of the car is a bit rough lol.

Thanks for the info though, gives me more confidence to go this route!

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
the stock zorst tailpipes point downwards, the proper tips correct the angle, so other tips might just point down. Just sayin'

·
Registered
503 Posts
For what it's worth I believe the OE part number for the tips is 82120410150. Mini UK used to sell these on Amazon as a direct fit for R53's with no complaints. They are much the same as the R53 ones, just much bigger diameter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
the stock zorst tailpipes point downwards, the proper tips correct the angle, so other tips might just point down. Just sayin'
For what it's worth I believe the OE part number for the tips is 82120410150. Mini UK used to sell these on Amazon as a direct fit for R53's with no complaints. They are much the same as the R53 ones, just much bigger diameter.
Thanks for the part number! They don't look bad, but they stick out a little too far for my taste. i think for the price as well, I might as well just invest that toward the catback system instead... I can get the R50 Milltek catback for $480 right now. Debating just pulling the trigger on this, but I need to stop spending money right now lol.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for the part number! They don't look bad, but they stick out a little too far for my taste. i think for the price as well, I might as well just invest that toward the catback system instead... I can get the R50 Milltek catback for $480 right now. Debating just pulling the trigger on this, but I need to stop spending money right now lol.
Know that feeling (y) :ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 75 Posts