MiniTorque.com banner

Rust under rear light

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NigelStap 
#1 ·
I took my car to a bodyshop in Norwich with a good reputation for a quote to fix the rust below my nearside rear light.

They think it will be a cut out job.

I also want the bottom of the tailgate painted.

The assessor also owned a R53, as a second fun car. Good to have a chat.

How much do you think it will cost? I should get a quote next week.

#2 ·
£450-600

#6 · (Edited)
I think they are used to working on cars for insurance, custom paint jobs with no remedial action or money no object restorations. Oh, they do like wrapping super cars.

Much as my Mini is a fun second car, it is nothing more.

Why bother with a £2k Mini when someone who can afford a £100k Lamborghini wants to buy your hours?

I spoke to them today and politely voiced my disappointment at their quote, thanked them for their time and said that I won't be taking up their offer. No need to be nasty about it.

I need to find someone who understands my part of the market better!

#7 ·
they'll have wanted to renew the quarter as it's the only way to kill rust short of cutting it out and adding bits of metal that fewer shops will do, because of the risk of complaint down the line I expect.

#9 ·
Jeez - that sounds like the classic case of pricing it way too high because they don't really want or need the work.

I've got a similar issue with mine - rust under both tail lights... Just bubbling, not broken through the paint yet - but it will definitely need to be cut out and replaced - filler will bubble again in time.

I was going to get a quote from Breckland Body Tech in Attleborough - used them in the past and they seem reasonably priced and do a great job. Worth checking them out.

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.