Resident Gobshite
4,170 Posts
This isn’t even a question.
Get rid of the run flats.

NEXT!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Ditch the run flats, you won't regret it.

Just keep a can of tyre foam and a compressor/pump to cover you if any punctures etc.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A mahoosive no to run flats! You will immediately notice a change for the better after fitting standard tyres. I reccomend Uniroyal.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
depends if you want the additional chances of being stuck at the roadside waiting for recovery plus the likelihood of being forced into a local affiliated tyre house to buy a tyre you don't want to use at a price you can't bear haha.

no guarantee a run flat won't leave you stuck somewhere as the driving distance is limited at a certain pace but a non run flat is useless.

better off them for comfort and performance, better on them if your Mrs uses the car or both of you out not wanting the above scenario

tyre goo ime is not always a solution (pun intended)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ran run flats for years. Apart from being a really expensive and an awful ride, they seamed to wear a lot quicker and suffer from a lot of punctures.
It's because the sidewalls are so hard and thick, they make the tread of a softer compound (Or so I've read). Make the switch. The ride is much better.
Buy a compressor and can of foam and leave it in the boot.

·
Bugger
25,353 Posts
This should have stopped being a debate in 2002 let alone 2021... They were never meant to have run craps in the 1st place. My Cooper came with 15's and no run craps when I got it new 18 years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
trouble is the dealers try to make folk think they must renew with them because the BMW god designed the cars for RFT's, utter bullshit we know and some are now offered with a choice but owners also get pressured by recovery companies and insurers if they depart from manufacturer spec or expose themselves to breakdowns they wouldn't otherwise face necessarily, most accept the cars are better without them. Despite being stuck for 11 hours and all the arguing I went through trying to escape being forced to accept a costly out of hours tyre in lieu of my 595RS-R that got burst on the M40 I still run them, not nice for my daughter stuck all night really but she thought it an adventure, crazy, AA trying to bully me into shite. I can see why it makes sense for some to keep them, not the end of the world, not everyone wants or would notice what some on here might with different spec etc, certainly for a woman alone or those not able to risk being stuck, keep the things perhaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts