drive pulley and idler pulley
belt tensioner and belt (060535)
engine mount

·
Registered
2005 R53
168 Posts
Tuneful!

+1 for alternator, or air con/other pulleys. Not sure if water pump would do that but as you've replaced it's very unlikely.

If you can do it CAREFULLY well away from any belts, rest a screwdriver or something similar against a few things and feel what vibrations come through to your hand - with any luck the alternator will feel different to other bits of the block, etc. and point to that being the issue. Assuming you've got a belt removal tool, just taking the belt off and spinning the alternator by hand will probably tell you if the bearings are on the way out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alternator?
Tuneful!

+1 for alternator, or air con/other pulleys. Not sure if water pump would do that but as you've replaced it's very unlikely.

If you can do it CAREFULLY well away from any belts, rest a screwdriver or something similar against a few things and feel what vibrations come through to your hand - with any luck the alternator will feel different to other bits of the block, etc. and point to that being the issue. Assuming you've got a belt removal tool, just taking the belt off and spinning the alternator by hand will probably tell you if the bearings are on the way out.
something i could try with a mechanics stethoscope? would that give the same result ?
can feel the sound in the shifter when in the car ...would that narrow anything down ?

·
Registered
2005 R53
168 Posts
for a start the right hand boot isn't on correctly, need to address that before anything else
That's well spotted! Looks like the horn is bolted to the intake manifold OK, is the intercooler just slightly too narrow? I'd even up the gap either side if so, and make sure it's sealing really well!

Could anything be vibrating under the intercooler making a buzz, is there definitely clearance?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would start by taking off the belt and running the engine for a few seconds to see if the noise is still there.

My alternator went south last year, but it made a different noise and I could smell a hot burning smell. The screwdriver to the ear trick proved that the bearings were shot, but not as noisy as expected when I took it off and freewheeled it as it wasn't under tension from the belt.

Check that the inlet and exhaust manifolds are done up properly and airtight?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts