MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2005 JCW convertible and the car is in great condition except for this (and one other issue - separate post) particular issue. Basically around the roof the rubber trim with chrome strip in the middle has rubber above and below the chrome strip, to prevent water leaking into the boot cavity. Both left and right side chrome and rubber is absolutely fine, however the rear panel that covers the bottom of the roof and just above the boot, which curves around to meet the left and right hand strips has split, flaked and is falling apart in bits (just the rubber not the chrome). Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone got any tips on what to do, or how to replace. If the part can be bought I don't really want to go to the dealers as they are very expensive. Can this be fitted easily by yourself, if so has anyone done this?

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2005 JCW convertible and the car is in great condition except for this (and one other issue - separate post) particular issue. Basically around the roof the rubber trim with chrome strip in the middle has rubber above and below the chrome strip, to prevent water leaking into the boot cavity. Both left and right side chrome and rubber is absolutely fine, however the rear panel that covers the bottom of the roof and just above the boot, which curves around to meet the left and right hand strips has split, flaked and is falling apart in bits (just the rubber not the chrome). Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone got any tips on what to do, or how to replace. If the part can be bought I don't really want to go to the dealers as they are very expensive. Can this be fitted easily by yourself, if so has anyone done this?

Cheers

Scott
Hi Scott did you get this resolved? I have the sane issue when you you look at the rear the left hand side has completely perished . Cheers Mav

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 195bhp (so far!)
541 Posts
Hi Scott did you get this resolved? I have the sane issue when you you look at the rear the left hand side has completely perished . Cheers Mav
@pipsyp on here has my old convertible, I’m sure he did something to it the other month to improve the same issue (I never bothered with it when i owned the car) I don’t think it’s something that can be replaced without a new hood so he tidied it up to allow the water to run away better

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
you can get the trims on their own at something like £140 a side plus vat, or take a chance on used ones being much better, mine are the same, Pipsyp just trimmed the rubber off the top to smooth them. They don't exactly stop all water, they're just finishers, occasionally decent ones turn up for sale but the difference in cost compared to new can make new worth doing perhaps.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
They can be replaced individually but are pricey, all used ones seem to have perished somewhere either the top part or along the bottom. Some are better than others.

The ones I have that are going to Pipsy (from a 2007 model) are fine on the bottom seal but the top has signs of deterioration.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
746 Posts
Indeed chaps I just trimmed mine away with a sharp blade. Ironically mine does have a very slight leak on the right hand side but I think its been like it quite a while and nothing to do with that trim.....in fact I havent fathomed it at all yet 😂😂

Frodizzle's sending me the ones off his breaker which are much much better, but I think they all perish sadly unless the cars an absolute minter and always been garaged etc....just one of the weak points of the R52 it seemsas even very good ones have bad rear rubbers.

Cost of new ones IMHO is just exorbitant unless youre putting them on a minter/concours grade car...if it wasnt for Fro sorting me out id just be leaving them as they are....might get lucky getting some froma breakers but it'll be pot luck if they are any good.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Look up "Mini Mayhem" on facebook, they do a kit to replace the rubbed on the top part of the trim, about £55.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts