MiniTorque.com banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Fitted the spacers at the front today and glad I did as there was definitely signs of the tyres rubbing on the Coilovers a bit. Only went for 5mm but its made the fitment much better.

Before

After

And the other side

Now I've got these ones on I really need some for the backs. I'm thinking of some 10mms for the backs

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,447 Posts
I'd leave the rears, or fit the 5's perhaps and 11's up front, it'll likely look better when you switch to 215/45 sometime if inclined

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'd leave the rears, or fit the 5's perhaps and 11's up front, it'll likely look better when you switch to 215/45 sometime if inclined
Why would you not space the rears out of interest? I would be doing just for the look more than anything as the wheels tuck in a lot at the back as they are now

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Since drilling out the holes for the Coilovers on the rear and driving it a bit, the setup is all wrong! It's super bouncy to the point it's undrivable. It's currently in with a mechanic who has told me that the spring rates are all wrong for them. I am going to go back to standard now and get a refund for them as they are not safe!

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So after the horror show of the coilovers I have returned the car back to the original suspension and am currently trying to get the money back for them. They were just wrong at the back, the fronts were fine but I don't know what was wrong with the rear ones but it made the car undriveable! Since that I have kinda been put off doing anything to the car for a while until I can afford some more expensive coilovers that I know will be right.

However, I have done a bit of work on the car today as the fog lights had seen better days and I couldn't get the bulbs out to change them.

I replaced the whole fog light assembly on both sides with new bulb holders and bulbs and what a dffierence they make.

Also gave it a good clean with my new snowfoam gun

Since the remap I have been getting some clutch slip so I have ordered an upgraded one from CG motorsports which can handle 40% more power to make sure I don't have to do this job again if I go for more power in the future. I am getting it fitted on monday and can't wait to finally be able to drive the car properly again!

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Been a busy few days working on the car whilst I'm off after Christmas.

First major job was fitting some 30mm lowering springs. After the faff I had with the coilovers I wanted to just go for an easier option an as its a daily I don't want to be going too low anyway.

Here's the result, Got rid of the arch gap nicely, its dropped a little more now its settled.

Next job I fitted a Forge Turbo Intake pipe as the stock one was a little brittle and needed replacing

Also got hold of some R110 Wheels off a clubman for cheap and I much prefer these, need to refurb them but not sure on a colour yet

And finally I change a few of the black trim pieces I painted for proper black ones as they were all looking rough and I wanted some gloss black ones anyway

Front grill

Front headlight surrounds

And some black LED Indicators

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,447 Posts
wheels look alright in silver imo

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Been a while since I've posted. Just got on the property ladder so not had much spare cash to throw at my mini unfortunately.

Over the last few months it's been mainly repairs and maintenance. Two coil packs died on me, making the car misfire terribly and caused a lengthy stay in the garage whilst they diagnosed this (no fault codes or anything!). I had to buy a runaround to get me to work whilst this was happening in the form of a Rover 45 which I chucked my old wheels on and debadged to make it look a bit nicer.

I've now sold that for the price I bought it for.

After this its had a full service, new brakes and pads all round and a few other bits that needed sorting out.

Recently I've managed to find a JCW back box which I fitted today as the exhaust I had on it was a little to loud for daily duties after driving the rover around for a couple of months and it so much nicer now.

I've got a rear seat delete I need to install next as well and then I have a few more mods I want to do when I have some more cash available soon hopefully

·
Registered
727 Posts
First major job was fitting some 30mm lowering springs. After the faff I had with the coilovers I wanted to just go for an easier option an as its a daily Il
how do you find the lowering springs? Been toying with that, but keep hearing it’s too harsh. I’ve an R53 too, it’s my daily and only do around 5-10 miles a day

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
how do you find the lowering springs? Been toying with that, but keep hearing it’s too harsh. I’ve an R53 too, it’s my daily and only do around 5-10 miles a day
I think the springs are good, wouldn't go any lower than 30mm with them though. It's definitely firmer but still fine for daily use. I do 70 miles a day in my mini for work and it's fine! I've had coilovers before on a previous car and the springs are way comfier than them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think the springs are good, wouldn't go any lower than 30mm with them though. It's definitely firmer but still fine for daily use. I do 70 miles a day in my mini for work and it's fine! I've had coilovers before on a previous car and the springs are way comfier than them.
Sounds ideal then, which ones did you go for?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts