MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just joined after purchasing a 2008 Mini Cooper S and I am already loving it. Its going to be my daily commuter so mods won't be too extreme hopefully. I've had lots of modified cars before this so I'm looking forward to learning more about minis next.

Here's my mini

And this was my last car, a BMW 118d that I Managed to squeeze some 19" X5 Tigerclaws on it with a 30mm drop and remapped.

Inital plan for the mini is to get rid of the stripes on the bonnet and the union jack on the roof as they are faded and damaged. Then all the chrome needs to go and the wheels need a Refurb and will probably go black.

After that it will probably be Air filter, exhaust and a remap.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you're enjoying your car.

Plans look like a good place to start. I say start because being on here will stretch those plans even further and I'm sure you'll end up with a list as long as your arm ;)

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, glad you're enjoying your car.

Plans look like a good place to start. I say start because being on here will stretch those plans even further and I'm sure you'll end up with a list as long as your arm ;)
Oh for sure, this is what I have said to all my cars and it never sticks. My BMW was supposed to be a sensible cheap car but lowering springs and 19x10j wheels later it was nothing but

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First few little bits started today, stubby Aerial is from my BMW as that's going back to standardish to sell and a black fuel cap

Also the pros of buying a mini is that I can just about fit both cars on the drive. The mini seems to be massive in comparison to the 1 series in this photo

Got more bits to be delivered this week and my Heat gun is here to get the old stripes and Union Jack off at the weekend

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Managed to get a bit more done this evening in between the rain after work

First up I got the stripes off the bonnet as they were marked and I don't like them.

Before

And after about 10 mins with a heat gun they were off

Next I debadged the rear

Then I put on the black handle covers

Final bit of dechroming was the belt line kit from Lohen I brought

The last job of the day was bringing the black plastic trims back to life again, forgot to take before pics but you can see how bad it was in these photos

And after It was back to its former glory!

Thats it for today. Hopefully at the weekend I can try and get the light surrounds, front grill and badges off to paint black to finish it off

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments, I hate all the chrome on minis, they look so much better black. Had a bit of time today and half a can of Plastidip left over from my last car so decided to attack the front of the car.

Took off the light surrounds and grill to give spray them. This is only a temporary thing for now until I can buy the proper black trims as the finish didn't come out too well due to the weather and the fact I only had half a can left!

Had to try and get them to dry a bit quicker with an electric heater on the dining room table due to the weather

And the fitted back on, looks great from far but don't look too close, unfortunately I found that most of the upper grill clips were snapped where someone has tried to get it off in the past so that will definitely have to be replaced

I'm thinking I might want a black hood scoop, in the future. Also have some black badges ordered. Just need to do the rear light surrounds now but as they are more difficult to get off I might wait till I can afford the proper trims to save me taking them off multiple times

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Making the most out of having to self isolate and got the rear light surrounds sprayed up. Hopefully, if the rain stops before I am allowed to venture out into the big wide world again, Im going to refurb the wheels black this week.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Looks good.... cant believe I've never thought of using plastidip on the chrome. I've got a can of it in the shed as well 🤷‍♂️ 😁

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking good so far! Where did you find the front black Mini badge? I got a rear one that has the same 3D look to it, but all of the front ones I seem to find are the black wings with the black and chrome flat circle.

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking good so far! Where did you find the front black Mini badge? I got a rear one that has the same 3D look to it, but all of the front ones I seem to find are the black wings with the black and chrome flat circle.
I got them on ebay. They don't have the locating pins so I just brought 2 rear ones

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got them on ebay. They don't have the locating pins so I just brought 2 rear ones
Ah okay, I think we have the same one. It seemed like it was too rounded to fit the hood correctly, but maybe my eyes were deceiving me. Your front one fit fine?

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah okay, I think we have the same one. It seemed like it was too rounded to fit the hood correctly, but maybe my eyes were deceiving me. Your front one fit fine?
Yeah they fit fine no problems with the fit on the front

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The rain finally held up long enough today to Refurb my wheels! Just waiting for some new center cap stickers to arrive before they are out back on the car

Also I didn't realize how easy the side lights were to get off until I was looking to buy some black ones! Once I found this out I popped outside, slid them off and gave them a quick spray of paint. Looks great and saved me £50. Will get some nice photos of the finished car once the center caps are done.

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Mini center cap stickers arrived todayand they have finished off the wheels nicely as you can see. Very happy with my DIY refurb

As the sun has decided to come out for a bit, here's some photos of the car all dechromed

·
Registered
2008 R56 Mini Cooper S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brought a couple of bits in the early black friday sales.

First up it really bugs me not having an engine temp dial and after researching online I opted for an Ultragauge. Very happy with it.

Second up I got a ramair filter as the original one needed replacing anyway so I thought I would upgrade

1 - 20 of 46 Posts