MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Update 19.06.2017

Drove the car to the West coast this weekend, car went link a train and rode great on the new suspension settings.

But...when I got half a mile from my destination I hit a pot hole and my spark plug jumped out of no.2 pulling the aluminium threads from the head. (literally the furthest point away from my house). Got it towed home with a massive hangover on Sunday morning.

Getting it helicoiled tomorrow but its frustrating to say the least. I hope the threads can be blown out of the cylinder.

Edit apparently very common on gen 1 minis - always cylinder 2. Cheap fix, and stronger result.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update 19.06.2017

Drove the car to the West coast this weekend, car went link a train and rode great on the new suspension settings.

But...when I got half a mile from my destination I hit a pot hole and my spark plug jumped out of no.2 pulling the aluminium threads from the head. (literally the furthest point away from my house). Got it towed home with a massive hangover on Sunday morning.

Getting it helicoiled tomorrow but its frustrating to say the least. I hope the threads can be blown out of the cylinder.
Update: Got the car back having helicoiled plug no.2 and replaced all 4 denso iridium sparks with stock-spec NGKs. Car seems to be better off for it, idle is quieter and it pulls better.

Mechanic said there was a misfire code to clear, so either the plugs weren't torqued in at all or the base cooper doesn't like IK20 iridiums.

The denso plug had worked its way loose until the third last thread and then jumped out puling those ones off. Will be checking my plugs more often from now on.

Also dechromed the boot handle, care of Mike from NewMiniStuff. Will get pics up later when its not muddy as hell.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
July update, just maintenance: new battery - last one died. And new tyre, found a carpenters blade in the old one. Oil service.

Next up is brakes, and a gearbox service

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
August Update:
Headlights and dips replaced.
Jack and stands bought.
Replaced broken exhaust hangers.
Think the Jnaspeed Sports Cat is destroyed after 2months, bought a decat pipe and will test next week. Auto gearbox is not happy either way! : /

Oh and got my hands on a Park lane interior!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
October Update:

Car is dead : (
I initially thought I had some kind of injection issue but it looks like an unhappy auto gearbox (again)
Car would start, make it about 100m and then cut out when I breaked for a junction. Then would be incredibly hard to re-start again.

Garage seems to think its the gearbox.

My two options are:
6 speed manual swap
Buy a black S and swap over my mods. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Annoyed I'm going to miss Goodwood....next year it is so!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Think Ive found a black 2005 s with 50000miles in the spec i want. Is everything facelift on a 2005? Anything to look out for at that mileage?

...and would my single exit cooper jcw exhaust survive on an s?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Exhaust should be fine probably just very loud though.

Would you rather not just stick with the S dual exhaust in the middle.

Id say look for leaks and hear out for knocks..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
My misses has a cooper and I have an S, I'll have a little look when I'm home, I'm wondering if the battery box will get in the way?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I fitted a 2.5" aftermarket system for the cooper/one, it needs the correct bumper trims as they're different. You do need to space it at the mounts and keep the cat, better if you have a res.
WP_20141011_003.jpg

Clearly if you think your silencer is bigger than this on the left the battery tray will be a problem.

Reactions: citro

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks, Ive r50 rear aero and single jcw. JCW silencer is centred so should be fine...runs into janspeed manifold and decat....hopefully wont be asbo loud, but would be a sexy placeholder until i can get r53 rear aero and twin milltek.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Mine pictured was a bit silly with a decat on R53, hence will sell it one day with the trims haha, no going back for me, loud enough with a JCW system now.

Reactions: citro

·
CreepyMgee
122 Posts
It should be a facelift. Is the dash a 3 piece? Is the steering wheel a 3 spoke?
The only other thing to worry about on facelifted ones compared to pre facelifted ones of the top of my head is the crappy hydraulic motor mount. I don't remember anything else the facelifted version did worse. the exhaust hangars are different too, although idk how that might affect you. Any pics?

41 - 60 of 102 Posts