MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening all!

Seems like I've found the project thread, happy days! Here's my R53, it's going to be a long term project and there's no plans to get rid of it! I originally was going to keep the car supercharged (hence the Janspeed manifold and GP intercooler) and stick a TVS900 kit on it, but plans have changed and eventually it will go turbo but not until the rest of the car is ready to handle it. Here's hoping for a fun journey with you guys, I'll keep this thread updated as the car progresses!

Rory

Current mods:

Coolerworx shifter
Borla S-Type catback
Janspeed manifold with 1320 tomcat
R56S brakes with Brembo discs and stock pads (for now)
Pro Alloy Motorsport alloy coolant tank
GP Intercooler
17x7.5 ET38 Autec Wizards with 215/40 Uniroyal Rainsport 3s
ST XTA coilovers
Hardrace rear control arms (lower arms only)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
That expansion tank looks like it needs changing today haha, by the colour it looks like it could go anytime............

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That expansion tank looks like it needs changing today haha, by the colour it looks like it could go anytime............
Hopefully not, I've got work today! Rest assured though it's getting done ASAP, hopefully be done Wednesday or Thursday:lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, booked into 1320 for health check and janspeed fitting:thumbup: Also had a new p zero runflat fitted because the old tyre had started to crack:blink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a little while since I last posted, but it had its trip to 1320 on Tuesday and got the nod on the health check, but it turns out the centre pipe on the exhaust on it is missing the kink that brings the flange down towards the cat and while it's fine on the stock manifold, there's not enough flex in the Janspeed for it to fit without cutting up the tomcat, doh! Scott advised just getting a new catback and adjusting the tomcat to fit that one rather than doing it twice, so a Borla race system has been ordered:thumbup: it should arrive soon and I can get it booked in with them again! I'll also be ordering an Orranje stealth intake and a 17% pulley for a bit more poke which will be fitted at the same time, but the immediate priority is sorting out the top mounts as both front ones are shot. Hopefully be back in good order very soon!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back after the winter break! Work on the car has had to take a back seat for a while thanks to work commitments, but the Borla is finally on its way after some struggles with the dealer managing to twice order the Touring system rather than the S-Type:blink: and while I wait for that the timing chain is being done very soon as it's getting a bit rattly. A new crank pulley is also going on as it's developed a worrying noise between 3-4000rpm, so for now the car is turning into a nice money pit but I'd rather it was running smoothly than producing big power. Not entirely unexpected from a 15 year old car when it's done nearly 100k miles but not the situation I really want. Thankfully the old man and his mechanic friend have agreed to help with the chain and we've got his garage and lift for a day to sort it. Once that's done it's back to 1320 for a 17% pulley and the Janspeed fitting. Touch wood it'll be making some progress again soon!

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I suspect you'll wish you'd fitted the touring system in the end haha

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing a set of ear plugs can't fix :lol: Going to be a long old wait! On the plus side all my timing chain bits have now arrived bar the crank pulley bolt but I'll sort that on Friday when I'm off work. I just can't decide where to go next with the car! Although the Orranje intake is something on my mind, and a nice set of R112 alloys wouldn't go amiss. I've recently seen a few F56s that have been wrapped in Super Chrome Orange and being honest I do like them quite a lot...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice start.

Just a suggestion, with that exhaust setup I'd get the noise level checked before booking in on your next track day. Quite a few folks got excluded at Brands last year because they tripped the drive by noise limits.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice start.

Just a suggestion, with that exhaust setup I'd get the noise level checked before booking in on your next track day. Quite a few folks got excluded at Brands last year because they tripped the drive by noise limits.
I certainly shall, thanks for the heads up! If it's excessive which it probably will I might be able to get some baffles made up to shut it up a bit

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Nothing a set of ear plugs can't fix :lol: Going to be a long old wait! On the plus side all my timing chain bits have now arrived bar the crank pulley bolt but I'll sort that on Friday when I'm off work. I just can't decide where to go next with the car! Although the Orranje intake is something on my mind, and a nice set of R112 alloys wouldn't go amiss. I've recently seen a few F56s that have been wrapped in Super Chrome Orange and being honest I do like them quite a lot...
I will probably have a set of R112's for sale soon, just need to get them cleaned up and take some pictures...

·
I have a green shifter
1,193 Posts
Nice start.

Didn’t we just... don’t be reminding me of that again!

Looking forward to hearing this Rory, let me know when you’re at 1320 next :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will probably have a set of R112's for sale soon, just need to get them cleaned up and take some pictures...
If you do, I may be interested :cools: I'll keep an eye out! I'm just sick of these S-Spokes or whatever they're called, they're not ugly but they're a bit dull and weigh an absolute ton

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn’t we just... don’t be reminding me of that again!

Looking forward to hearing this Rory, let me know when you’re at 1320 next :)
Will do Ben, I'll be ringing them as soon as the exhaust gets here! Been told 3-4 weeks because it's special order, but fingers crossed it's on the 3 week end of the scale :thumbup1: Might get a 17% fitted as well while I'm down there, that way I leave with slightly more oomph as well as a lot more noise :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2nd March for fitting of the Borla :w00t: long wait but should be worth it! I'm leaving the pulley for the time being because at some point I fancy one of those TVS superchargers and I may as well save the money for that instead :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update, the Borla delivery has been delayed :sad: Was supposed to arrive this week and I've just had an email saying they think it won't be till the end of the month now, which isn't ideal because that's cutting it very fine for the fitting on March 2nd. Probably gonna have to ring up 1320 and ask to rearrange it!

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
well on the positive side you have longer to enjoy the peace and quiet of your current setup haha, and more time to choose earplugs ;O)

Reactions: R53Kempsey

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So today, we attempted to do the timing chain. However, I managed to forget the puller for the crank pulley, which it turns out is pretty much impossible to remove without it (tried heating it with a blowtorch and using a couple of other pullers) and as a result the car is now stuck at the garage and the next opportunity to sort it isn't until Friday next week. There's too much flex in the rubber damper for the other pullers to work, so we're now waiting for the proper one to arrive :lol: This R53 is a love hate relationship!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts