MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice and experience about fitting a rear cage on my r56. Do I need to strip the headlining or can it be fitted with the removal of rear panels etc?

Who has one and what make is it, costs involved?

Thanks.

Geoff.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,415 Posts
I've got no experience of fitting to a second gen, but first gen can be fitted with the headliner in place, you just have to remove the interior light and replace it when you're done. Panel cuts/removal depends upon cage brand. I've got a safety devices one in mine and I had to remove some fairly significant chunks. Piece of piss though

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
It’ll go in but will rub on those silly mood lights on the pillars. And you’ll need to cut out the rear like mine was.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
nice seats.
They were ?. Cobra Nogaros. Shoulda taken them out when I sold the old girl. Along with just about everything else ?.
Also. I had a Safety Devices Rear Half Cage with the optional brackets to take a front loop at a later date.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’ll go in but will rub on those silly mood lights on the pillars. And you’ll need to cut out the rear like mine was. View attachment 98807
Nice one. Is this the safety devices cage? If so where did you purchase yours from?

I'm pretty handy with the tools and my dads historically built his own Super saloon racecar many moons ago so looking to fit this myself. Aside from the cut outs for the rear feet anything worth noting difficulty wise?

Lohen are doing the rear cage for around £590 iirc.

Cheers. Those Nagaros are sick BTW!

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
I bought the cage from Lohen a few years back. Only thing really is to weld in the plates that the cage bolts to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to be able to weld.

im currently looking to upgrade to a full cage. Cheapest place is sports seats 4 u.
Yeah my dad welds so that's fine. I'll check them out for the cage.. Been on their site but for bucket seats.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,415 Posts
I think 4U was where I ordered mine from. Are you looking at a full or half cage? The reason I ask is that its possible to order a rear without the brackets for the front, it makes for a much neater install

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think 4U was where I ordered mine from. Are you looking at a full or half cage? The reason I ask is that its possible to order a rear without the brackets for the front, it makes for a much neater install
It's my daily so just the half rear cage I'm after. Do you mean that you can buy a half rear cage but it's got attachment points to make it into a full cage, and in doing so not as neat? If so I'm after purely a half cage.

Might give Jake at Lohen a call.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Yes. You can option front brackets. You can actually spec quite a lot. I ordered mine from Sport Seats 4 U back in the day and I specced no front brackets and a single rear diagonal (as opposed to the usual X). In hindsight it would have now been easier/cheaper to add the front section, however at the time I wanted a rear only and it also looks much neater without the brackets. I am tempted to go weld in as I really dislike the look of the bolt in brackets up front.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
GC, where are you located? You can have a cage made up by AMS Motorsport here in West Sussex. They had a tradestand at my MINIs Take Over event a couple years back and have since made dozens of cages for R53s.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats a lo
Yes. You can option front brackets. You can actually spec quite a lot. I ordered mine from Sport Seats 4 U back in the day and I specced no front brackets and a single rear diagonal (as opposed to the usual X). In hindsight it would have now been easier/cheaper to add the front section, however at the time I wanted a rear only and it also looks much neater without the brackets. I am tempted to go weld in as I really dislike the look of the bolt in brackets up front.

View attachment 98840 View attachment 98839 View attachment 98841

Thats a lovely looking setup, will definitely be purchasing the GP rear seat delete kit. £65 seems good value for that. I actually just got off the phone from Jake at Lohen, i explained i have the pano roof so hes told me i would need the "show" cage as its slightly lower to account for the panoramic roof. Marginally cheaper, but not MSA approved.

Jake im based in North London. I googled AMS Motorsport but im only getting a company that makes motorbike fairings, are these the same guys?

Looking for buckets, side mounts and adjustable frame now too. Hoping to bash this out quick and get it ready for march.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts