MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Tuning update

The time has come to play with the F54 a little so I talked with Dervtune who are making some good noise with minis so I booked in about 3 months ago. Saturday the 2nd came and I took the car there.
The car is a petrol S FWD with an ITG air filter and Twin valve exhaust.

Runs were all done on 95ron

The exhaust was then tested closed and then opened valve and this made 7Bhp more once the vlaves were opened. Which is quite pleasing considering I made it and it was a cheap mod to bypass the rear box

The ECU was then removed and unlocked so it could be tuned over OBD

The guys then spent a few hours mapping and the result is about 275Bhp which had to be limited and also the torque had to be limited as the auto box was not liking the extra power so I am sure the 4WD and JCW could have a lot more power the the FWD auto box maxed out at 275bhp, any more puts the car into limp mode as a transmission error
All done I drove the 200 miles home and wow what a difference, the car has so much more power and it is very noticeable - much quicker than a stock JCW and finially has the power it needs, infact I think 20Bhp less may have been better as when the boost comes on its quick a whack of torque and really pulls.

I am now also noticing more driveshaft wobble with it being lowered. Over run was left as it was and I have the option of sports, normal and green maps. They also changed the mini excitement gauges to give the right numbers

If I wish for more power it would have to be to upgraded to 4WD or manual but due to an operation I can't have a manual as a daily drive.

Very pleased with the tune and its a huge difference

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reversing camera and tow bar

You have done exactlly what i need on the wifes clubby i.e. reversing camera and tow bar.

I tried to order the parts from my local dealer and they say they can't be retro fitted and can't supply the parts. So I went to a BMW Mini independant and they told me that a retro kit wasn't avaiable but found some parts individually but not sure if all are compatable, so didn't want to risk ordering and fitting them.

Would you be able to give me a parts list with part numebers if possible so I can get them ordered from BMW and have the independent garage fit them.

Cheers
godders53

I have started to play now I have had the car for some time so time for a project log.

Firstly the plan for this is quite tame as it is my daily family car and it still needs to be used to cart clients about and used every day.

The car;
As an early build the good news which was unexpected was I have the JCW turbo fitted, the bad news was that I also had a few early build parts which I have had to have changed as they were already failing :sad:

Spec;
2.0 petrol with JCW turbo 8 speed auto
Electronic adjustable suspension
Comfort access
LED auto headlights with that auto rotate function
Panoramic sun roof 18" JCW wheels
Aero kit though sadly there are no skirts for this car yet (may have to make some)
Black on black as the blue I wanted you couldn't have the aero kit
JCW seats which are heated and alcantara which are a nice place to be
Black headlining
XL wide screen sat nav and touch pad
Harmon Kardon
JCW steering wheel
Heads up display
Automatic park function
Lots of gloss plastic round the center column which I liked more than just the normal no trim option
The door rings all light up forgot what that option was
Auto dipping mirrors
Black roof lining
Front, rear, and side ultrasonic sensors
A bag of nets in the boot
Adaptive cruise control
Driver assistance
***I am sure there was a lot of other items on the build sheet but I don't have heated front window even though that was on the build, didn't get the towbar, reversing camera, and do not have the assistance button, everything else is on the car

The car when I got it

I wanted a tow bar but at the time they could not fit one as it wasn't fully ready, when I came to fit it I found it was still not ready... The cable which came with the towbar has a 30mm connector on one end and the other a 45mm connector, the guide tells you to pass the cables through the 25mm hole! was a pain in the bum as I had to strip the pins out to get it fitted. Took ages and then there was tones of cables and modules to connect along with making the comfort access fit as apparently it can't be fitted at the same time :sad: It can after a lot of work. You also need an additional fuse box and have to pull half the car apart to fit.
Also a cheeky de-badge

Got to say it tows so well and I love the way the electrics fold away and the tow bar hides away, unless you was looking under the car for a towbar you would miss it while it is away, it is the most hidden I have ever seen. you need to lay on your back under the car to see it.

Used it to bring the R53 home which it did with ease (tow bar is only for pulling our collection of other cars when we need too

Next I decided to do a little coding;
Changed the DRL lights to include the rears at all time
Added the towbar
Added shift and rev change to the HUD
Added memory to the start stop button so it will recall the last setting which is nice
Changed lots of other items, GPS time made the kombi go crazy and it didn't work so be aware of that

Then I decided I wanted the reversing camera, again this wasn't an option when the car was built or it was missed? I know now its part of the new tech pack but that didn't exist then - so camera time :)

New camera with the holder

Got hold of a new number plate surround with the camera hole in

Had to buy the repair cable but then just connect to power, CAN, head unit and camera

Then coded in the camera so it is all happy. Took some time to fit though. I do like that most items are CAN and LIN also they are all quite easy to install as a retrofit item

Then got fed up with the key size so set about making and printing one, I went black in the end - then someone said that someone else was doing the same, thought I had come up with something different :cursing:

Now the fun starts, I am currently working a few items;

I have on order all the parts for the exhaust which will be turning up soon, the plan is to keep the stock box and add a bypass on either side. This will give me the stock sound when I want it and variable sound using the valves. Unlike the other systems out there including the mini system mine uses both sides to exhaust like the M3 system. All the other systems is one pipe loud and the other is the hush pipe, this seams stupid - I plan to do this as a kit next year though I will help others if they want to do similar

Once that is done its time for a manic map as currently they are having issues with the auto as are all the other tuning boxes, basically over time the gearbox is down tuning and slowing on the gear changes to protect itself from the extra power - some changes will be needed for the gearbox ecu too. So for this reason I am holding off while they work on the development. Wait and see I guess.

That is all for now although I am working on suspension

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You have done exactlly what i need on the wifes clubby i.e. reversing camera and tow bar.

I tried to order the parts from my local dealer and they say they can't be retro fitted and can't supply the parts. So I went to a BMW Mini independant and they told me that a retro kit wasn't avaiable but found some parts individually but not sure if all are compatable, so didn't want to risk ordering and fitting them.

Would you be able to give me a parts list with part numebers if possible so I can get them ordered from BMW and have the independent garage fit them.

Cheers
godders53
As you have found out dealers will not be able to retro fit what you want to do - they do not have the software and this can only be coded in using esys and nothing else will work as you need to code the VO

Parts wise it depends what you have on the car;

* Wiring diagram https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f54-cooper-all4-clu/q-R3
* If you do not have all4 then you will need to run a twisted CAN line from the front BCU on the LH side footwell to the rear RH side and put a CAN termination block called R3 but I can't find the part number for it but bmw should be able to, if not then just run a twisted pair to the BCU
* If you have the aero bumper you need this trim 51127448135 if you have a normal S then it is a new bumper
* Wire for the camera 61119390807
* Camera 66539475687
* Cover 51247345709
* Mount for backup camera 51127370614

Install all the above, recode the VO and the camera will work but you will then need to run a calibration file in ISTA-D and a reflash on ISTA-P or take it to the dealer after altering the VO and they can take your car to the latest ISTA software version that will already calibrate the camera or buy a second hand camera from a clubman and it will not need the calibration

If you want parts then search realoem.com
Wiring drawings then newtis.info

I guess if you don't have the skill or time I would contact Jason and milseys autos and tell him what you want, turn up with the parts and he can do the work or he has a guy that will sort it. For me it was a real easy install but I work in the industry of vehicle electronics and making bits of cars work
The retro fit is quite easy and takes a few hours

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I don't do a lot with this car and it just spends most of it's time on the drive but I was a little bored so new brakes

Many boxes

All opened

Fronts on

Rears

I hadn't realised what a bargain the brakes were, I paid £1275 for the set but just buying second and calipers is normally £500 and then you need to spend £100 on pads and £300 on discs and that is just to get the fronts and still missing pad sensor and tin plates. Then the kit came with rears, new motors, all the fixings more pads and discs and then a larger brake booster and master cylinder and header tank. Makes the £1275 price feel very much worth it

Got to think about what I want to do with the car later this year. I may go black on black or go another route but the only thing I am sure on is I am making a set of aero skirts for it later on this year

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Missed about the remap, sounds like a healthy gain that should ensure longevity.

[...] the only thing I am sure on is I am making a set of aero skirts for it later on this year
I thought this was a typo, but than I realized who wrote it. :thumbup:

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Missed about the remap, sounds like a healthy gain that should ensure longevity.
I thought this was a typo, but than I realized who wrote it. :thumbup:
Not sure about the longevity especially as I am on my third engine!

As for the skirts I am waiting for the JCW they are doing on the facelift and if it doesn't come with skirts I already have some spare F54 skirts and a set of F56 aero ready to be cut up and if I am going to the effort I will end up selling them too

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I will sell callipers at £400.00 if anyone is interested, :tongue_smilie:

Didn't realise they had a booster and master cylinder upgrade available is that just a clubman thing ?
Yes clubman only in the retro fit kit. I believe it's bigger than the s and f56 version also the rear brakes are bigger and unlike the f56 version all the discs come drilled and grooved

Just looked through the part numbers and it shows that all jcw cars come with the larger master cylinder but only the f54 comes with the bigger booster and master cylinder. So if you've got the brakes it'll be worth changing the booster and master

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
I have two new front calipers for the 350mm brakes to sell but keep forgetting to list SOLD

nice that they have bigger rears, is that an option kit or just individual?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rdke, ive the same car as you, ive just lowered it with eibach springs and now have a wobble at approx 15mph while accelerating, is this what you have noticed with yours being lowered?

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Rdke, ive the same car as you, ive just lowered it with eibach springs and now have a wobble at approx 15mph while accelerating, is this what you have noticed with yours being lowered?
Yep, all minis do it. It's just the angle once lowered isn't quite right but I've done 25k on mine now and I don't notice it but all minis I've had have done it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow awesome work....

picking up my first mini on Sat... Clubman SD..

really interested in fitting a towbar, did you have any really trouble getting yours from mini or fitting.... from what I am reading main thing to do is relocate my remote door sensors to the hitch frame?? I am guessing the electrics should be fine with a normal clubman kit...

any steers you can give would be much appreciated.. keep it up.

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Wow awesome work....

picking up my first mini on Sat... Clubman SD..

really interested in fitting a towbar, did you have any really trouble getting yours from mini or fitting.... from what I am reading main thing to do is relocate my remote door sensors to the hitch frame?? I am guessing the electrics should be fine with a normal clubman kit...

any steers you can give would be much appreciated.. keep it up.
I did have issues with the wiring, probably because my car was such an early build. because I had to drill holes for the wires to pass through but I have been told this is sorted in the body now. As for the foot sensors as soon as you code in the towbar if you use original it will disable the kick sensor. It will throw up a LIN BUS error but no warning lights - you ideally want to have the towbar coded to the car as it works better with the sensors, camera and light warning system as it all becomes part of the car.
If you go aftermarket you can make it fit by cutting it up and making it fit. I re-coded the car to allow for all the sensors to work

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did have issues with the wiring, probably because my car was such an early build. because I had to drill holes for the wires to pass through but I have been told this is sorted in the body now. As for the foot sensors as soon as you code in the towbar if you use original it will disable the kick sensor. It will throw up a LIN BUS error but no warning lights - you ideally want to have the towbar coded to the car as it works better with the sensors, camera and light warning system as it all becomes part of the car.
If you go aftermarket you can make it fit by cutting it up and making it fit. I re-coded the car to allow for all the sensors to work

Sweet... want to keep everything working as best I can, not planning on towing that often but bike rack will be needed...

did you just order the BMW 1 series/mini Clubman towbar…. seems a lot of sites say 'no towbar available for the Clubman SD'??? could quite read the label on you picture.

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
A while ago I said if the JCW didn't do the skirts I would then make them, well they have released the 300+ bhp version and no skirts so....

These will be available soon although this set is to be painted and fitted to mine. Should have done this years ago as I can't quite believe I have had this car for 4~5 years and done so little with it. Maybe because it is the family car although I would like to change it soon to something bigger (VW t6) have to see how that goes

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Had a few people ask me how to fit the camera thought I would add it here as I will forget mini coding as I have decided to sell the car and already have my next car...

To do the conversion you need to add a few items, camera and holder, CAN3 from the BCU (if you have all4 you will have a CAN splitter already in the boot) As you have a 2015 I will assume you do not have an ALL4 so you will need to run a twisted pair of wires to the BCU and connect them to CAN 3 - look on newtis.info for the wiring numbers

Once that is in use the camera repair cable and run that to the head unit and connect to the correct pins which should be easy enough, connect the power to the fuse board as per the wiring on newtis.info

Once all installed it will then need coding and in this case Bimmer will not do what you want as they only do surface coding, you need to use E-SYS for the first part and then on to FDL coding - you will need to do more if the camera is not off a Clubman.

Using E-sys you need to alter the VO (Vehicle order) and you need to add "3AG" into the listing if you then go to FDL coding on E-sys and code all ecu's it will now add the camera or you can go the long route

HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > AUX1_IN_HU = wert_255 [Default]
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > CAMERA_SYSTEM = trsvc
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > MACRO_RV_C = aktiv
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > TRSVC = wert_81

And maybe you need also the codings in REM...
REM_01 > PdcParkMasterVar 3203 > RVC = wert_02

And then as a little bonus you can code the zoom for the trailer coupling if you have a tow bar
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 >MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING = aktiv

If your camera is off a clubman then it will work perfectly but if it is off a hatch it will be off centre in the software, sadly at this point you need ISTA-P & ISTA-D and you need to setup the camera or you can take it to MINI and get them to update the software, no need to tell them more than that but an update will re-align the camera for you

It is not too difficult to do but the software side is more intense especially as you will need a working version of e-sys with the ability to FDL coding.

Link to English version of newtis.info for the camera,

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
267 Posts
Love this mate, really love proper retrofitting.....just done an auto dip mirror in my R53 and that was just one 12v feed and was nearly beyond me 🤣 🤣

Just wanna say as well, your R53 is the nuts....bet that roof chop was super involved and must be bonkers with 370+ hp 👍👍👍👍👍

41 - 58 of 58 Posts