MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took the motor out for a quick 30 minute blast today and had a right chuckle. it's really the first pleasure drive I've had in the car since owning it for 4 weeks. Every other drive has been taking it somewhere for a shake down test drive and chasing down problems.
Anyway, I banged some juice in and went out to the country lanes... Mate, I had a right fuggin larf... I know these roads like the back of hand and have done prison speeds on a bike (closed course, under controlled test conditions).
The tighter and narrower and twister the roads got, the better this thing felt..The limiting factor were the Ying-Dong Yip tyres and my confidence in the not fully bedding brakes.
I love the steering ratio, very direct, and the handling is very flat, even on stock suspension..yeah, I'd love more torque and much more power, but once she's at 4 grand with the supercharger singing, the instant throttle response and rorty exhaust note make up for it.
Within 10 minutes I was driving like something of an arsehole, giggling like a virgin tripping over her knickers and had the tyres chirping and squealing..Man I'd love to get this thing on semi slicks and bung another 100 lb/ft at it...
I pulled up and took a few pics (as you do)... This car desperately needs those lights getting rid of (if anyone wants to swap, please let me know), some wheel spacers or something, and about 20-30mm lower.
Anyway, the newly fitted and bled clutch slave didn't explode and the brakes didn't disintegrate, so all good.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Newly painted interior...Door panels, dash, centre tubes, steering wheel trim and buttons and £10 of chrome plastic from the scrapyard to replace the scratched and dribbly unprepped rattle can in the back garden during a storm paint job from the previous owner...(ok, mines a rattle can, but at least it wasn't raining when I did mine):

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Needs wheel spacers, lowering and imho, stock headlights (but I'll still do body colour trim rings).

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Glad you’ve finally got the chance to have a decent drive in it and that you’ve enjoyed it. Hopefully means that it will stay post winter?

Tyres made a huge difference when I got rid of the run flats. And they were ‘branded’ so imagine you’ll feel the difference even more so.

Agree the stock headlights would definitely suit better, might be able to swap with someone on the Facebook groups perhaps. (I’ve never used them so not sure how useful they are).

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
522 Posts
i took the motor out for a quick 30 minute blast today and had a right chuckle. it's really the first pleasure drive I've had in the car since owning it for 4 weeks. Every other drive has been taking it somewhere for a shake down test drive and chasing down problems.
Anyway, I banged some juice in and went out to the country lanes... Mate, I had a right fuggin larf... I know these roads like the back of hand and have done prison speeds on a bike (closed course, under controlled test conditions).
The tighter and narrower and twister the roads got, the better this thing felt..The limiting factor were the Ying-Dong Yip tyres and my confidence in the not fully bedding brakes.
I love the steering ratio, very direct, and the handling is very flat, even on stock suspension..yeah, I'd love more torque and much more power, but once she's at 4 grand with the supercharger singing, the instant throttle response and rorty exhaust note make up for it.
Within 10 minutes I was driving like something of an arsehole, giggling like a virgin tripping over her knickers and had the tyres chirping and squealing..Man I'd love to get this thing on semi slicks and bung another 100 lb/ft at it...
I pulled up and took a few pics (as you do)... This car desperately needs those lights getting rid of (if anyone wants to swap, please let me know), some wheel spacers or something, and about 20-30mm lower.
Anyway, the newly fitted and bled clutch slave didn't explode and the brakes didn't disintegrate, so all good.
Great stuff matey, I know exactly what you mean. My car suspension and brake wise is bone stock at the moment and I've been having a right hoot in it. I'm quite happy with the stock suspension set up really as I cant get away with it being any lower (it grounds out on my road and driveway if I'm not being careful as it is) and I'm not sure I could bare any less suspension travel....but like you say with the incredibly direct steering and already rather good stock set up it's amazing how well (and how fast) it goes round corners.

Motor wise as well these are a really interesting one.......being so used to turbocharged cars, supercharging is so different isnt it?! At low revs whilst the cars are pretty sprightly and don't suffer any lag per se, you can really tell the inertia the driving of the supercharger is putting on the engine....it's really not until well gone 3 grand these things come alive.....also whilst they make good torque and for much of the rev range they are still quite peaky......I find with mine that driven at maybe 7/8th 10ths it's not really that quick and feels a bit underwhelming but driving it like it's stolen from a standstill (like red line in the first few gears) it goes like a stabbed rat but it has to be worked very hard for that sort of performance. In many cars extracting the performance would probably get a bit tiresome but with the R53 being so well sorted otherwise (for a stock set up) it just makes it all the more endearing IMHO. Bizarrely I haven't even been finding the stock brakes so much of a problem of late, probably because once you get used to the car and realise it's not gonna let go as you'd probably expect it to you end up using them less :ROFLMAO:

I have other maintenance items I really need to get checked off first but it does just make me want to get it breathing better (manifold and cam) and he injectors and a decent tune. I guess mine is probably around the 200bhp mark at the moment, but can only imagine what a riot it would be with another 40/50 ponies and a slightly raised rev limit 👍

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not on FB so will just peruse Theifbay once I've finished the maintenance jobs Ive begun...namely replace the geabox oil, new plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve etc. S/C and crank sensor O-Ring if I summon the balls to remove the front end.
I want to get it all sorted first and prioritise those jobs according to urgency, price and how much I can arsed.
Id love to get stock lights back on it...Someone would buy my Joey Xenons I reckon.
Aesthetically I'd also like to get spacers, get it a little lower (but yes, they are crazy low underneath as it is...I ground the thing out just turning around on a country lane due to the road camber). I want rid of the black wheels..either a repaint or MG alloys. I much prefer the stock styling rather than the aero kit so I wouldnt deviate too much from the stock look.
Id also like to get a decent induction system, cam, big I/C, smaller pulley (mine's 11%), and 550cc's (or can i keep my 380's?), oh and R56 brakes..but that stuff is down the line.
Interior wise I'd only really like to fit a pair of black Recaros to replace the uncomfortable stock seats.
I found a roll of unopened window tint film and black sun visor film in the garage yesterday so I might tint the rear windows and put the visor strip on ( i always drive with the visors down anyway) but dont want it to look too modified.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tyres made a huge difference when I got rid of the run flats. And they were ‘branded’ so imagine you’ll feel the difference even more so.
Tyres make a huge difference to everything...ride, handling, braking and confidence. Ive had Nankang NS2's before and they were an incredible semi slick road legal tyre track day tyre. The AR1's look mega with almost an entire absence of tread, but are much more expensive and probably overkill for a car Im not really interested in tracking.
After years of riding bikes (which are admittedly much more sensitive to tyres than cars are), tyre choice and pressure have a more substantial effect than anything else I can think of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts