MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
Few more bits to show for my week off, although being that it was mostly a washout I didn't get as much done as I wanted!

I braved the rain yesterday and fitted the new Kicker front speakers mentioned above. Not too difficult a job, I fitted the crossover using self-tapping screws and was expecting to have to trim the door cards but they fitted back on without issue! Speaker and wiring adapters made the job much easier too, and I also fitted some sound deadening behind the speaker and on top of the mounting screw holes.
The new setup sounds a little bright but hopefully once the speakers break in they'll soften slightly.

(sort of) factory looking which is what I was after :)

I also picked up a front bumper from a breaker yard to replacement mine which I broke off a few weeks ago.

If you're not being complained at for using your bathroom to clean car parts, are you even working on your car? 馃槅
After a thorough clean, I've prepped the bare bumper for paint which I haven't done before but this is a good place to start.

This afternoon was the first time in five days that it hasn't rained here so I gave the Mini a good wash and top-up of ceramic coating.

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
Treated my Mini to a few bits today

Dashboard trim from the R53. I do like the silver dash that mine had, but this looks much more 'premium' and gives the impression of being made of metal.

Alloy pedal set, also I believe from the R53

Disassembled and cleaned the pedal set

Interior before

Fitted the new pedals first, looking much better

Dashboard pulled apart - this isn't the sort of job that you want to guess at!

New trim fitted and looking great!

Improved interior :)

After that I got the car up on jack stands and the wheels off, ready to clean and paint the hubs and calipers - but of course the rain saw to that for today...

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
Today I replaced the bonnet stripes. I didn鈥檛 do the best job of applying the new ones, and they鈥檙e not 3M quality vinyl but it鈥檚 still better than what was on there!

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
Next project accomplished - sorting out the rusty discs and calipers! I've been waiting a while to do this one thanks to the weather but this weekend it (almost) held out long enough for me to get this done at last.

This is what things looked like before, the rust suggesting that the car sat for a while before I bought it:

So, up on jack stands again, and the calipers and discs removed. I decided to paint the calipers still attached to the brake lines as I wasn't brave enough to take a spanner to the very rusty bolts!
I wire brushed and then masked off the calipers and sprayed them in Halfords red caliper paint.

Discs sanded, masked and sprayed in silver caliper paint.

Dust shields given a wire brushing and sprayed in Hammerite black direct-to-rust

Discs after being painted:

Also not pictured was spraying the spring clips in silver as well.

Back together, managing to of course scratch the new paint on all four calipers!

Looking very sharp!

I've got a set of clear LED repeaters coming next week to complete the look. I've also got a replacement for the front bumper corner trim too :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #69
Last week I picked up a scruffy R53 Cooper S bumper:

I stripped it down and cleaned everything up, and then took it to a local paint shop to have it resprayed in Pure Silver. I got it back yesterday and fitted the trim back on, ready to be refitted. I also decided to buy the matt black JCW-style grille as well.

I definitely prefer the Cooper S bumper with no chrome, it will improve the look of my car - I'm looking forward to getting it fitted this weekend!

Premium Member
looks smart

Reactions: RichardM

Registered
Discussion Starter #71
So I was all ready to get my new bumper fitted, until earlier today when I noticed this;

Bugger!

I started looking at eBay etc to find a spare but couldn鈥檛 see any locally. I tried Euro Car Parts next, and not only do they stock R50 foglights, my local branch had one passenger side light in stock!
Including their constant discount code I鈥檓 getting both new fog lights tomorrow for 拢40

Registered
Result with the fog lights.

If I remember correctly the foglights have to be moved to fit the R53 bumper. You will see the different mounting holes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #73
Result with the fog lights.

If I remember correctly the foglights have to be moved to fit the R53 bumper. You will see the different mounting holes.
Thanks for this, I had a moment earlier when I read another thread where someone suggested that 鈥渋t鈥檚 impossible to fit the R53 bumper as the fog lights are in different places鈥!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts